Author Topic: AVIS and the curious case of the inescapable SafeZone.  (Read 2253 times)

BTCentral

AVIS and the curious case of the inescapable SafeZone.
« on: September 13, 2011, 12:31:49 PM »
Hey All,

I was using my PC as usual yesterday, saw an update notice pop up last night, and then when I switched my PC back on this morning it booted straight in to SafeZone.

Odd, I thought. Clicked the Switch back button, screen faded out and SafeZone re-appeared.
Clicked the Turn off SafeZone option, screen faded out and SafeZone re-appeared.

Ctrl + Alt + Delete -> Task Manager. Nothing appeared, SafeZone blocks it from being displayed.
Rebooted, SafeZone re-appeared, booted into safe mode, SafeZone re-appeared. You get the idea.

So, I booted back in to normal Windows again, SafeZone started, Ctrl + Alt + Delete -> Log off.

I hit the escape key repeatedly while the log off procedure was running, and thankfully Steam Screenshot Manager caused a brief hang while logging off and pressing escape resulted in me being back at my Windows desktop with AVIS/SafeZone quit.

Uninstalling and then re-installing AVIS seems to have resolved the issue, however to state the obvious for many people this could be a rather major problem if this occurred.

The PC it happened on was running Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit (further details in signature) and as far as I am aware it was running the latest AVIS/definitions.

Just thought I'd mention how I managed to resolve the issue here in case others had the same problem.

Or, in short: Ctrl + Alt + Delete -> Log off, hit escape repeatedly, if you end up at your desktop uninstall reboot, re-install AVIS.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 12:36:16 PM by BTCentral »

Offline Infratech Solutions

• Avast Reseller
  • Super Poster
  • Mayorista e integrador de Avast en España
    • Ciberseguridad Avast para empresas y MSPs en España.
Re: AVIS and the curious case of the inescapable SafeZone.
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 04:15:08 PM »
Our support team received a call this morning with the same issue.

Our advice: boot with [F8], uninstall avast!, reboot and install again. Customer is working.

ady4um

Re: AVIS and the curious case of the inescapable SafeZone.
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:44:46 PM »
This is a problem that has been reported in the forum several times now in the few last days. It is related to the "15 day trial" of AIS.

And yes, uninstalling and reinstalling the Free edition latest stable version (currently 6.0.1289) is the fastest workaround.