Author Topic: Avast 7 causes my computer to hang - Windows XP SP3  (Read 12230 times)

JayC

Avast 7 causes my computer to hang - Windows XP SP3
« on: February 26, 2012, 12:59:34 AM »
I'm running Windows XP with SP3. I got the blue notice that there was an update to the program today. I opened Avast and had it update. Upon reboot the popup appeared. I clicked Finish, but nothing else happened. If I clicked anything on the taskbar I would get the hourglass and nothing would happen. I would have to press the reset button. Upon realoding Windows I saw the popup again, but still Windows would hang. I could press the Finish button, but that only seemed to clear the popup. After going through this numerous times trying to load Windows and then pressing reset, I finally gave up and booted into Safe Mode. I got into Control Panel and uninstalled Avast. Windows would then load. I then proceeded to download the actual version 7 from Avast. I installed it, but Windows still hangs. The only difference is I didn't get the popup anymore. I found a link for version 6 and have gone back to that now. I'm not sure what to do except wait and hope an update fixes the issue.

JayC

Re: Avast 7 causes my computer to hang - Windows XP SP3
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 01:45:57 AM »
Not being able to leave well enough alone I decided to uninstall version 6 and try 7 one more time. I went into Control Panel and removed Avast 6. After the reboot, I rebooted into Safe Mode. I ran the Avast removal utility and removed what was left of 6. I rebooted into Windows and installed 7 from the file I downloaded earlier today. I've done two nervous reboots so far - one a simple reboot and the other turning the computer on. Both went ok. I hope that was the only issue, that I needed to run the removal utility.

curly1x

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 05:28:01 AM »
I had the same thing happen XP and SP3.

It kept asking me to finish the install after rebooting and then it would hang up after I pushed the finish button.

I got buy it by booting into safe mode and then repyling finish to the install after starting it up.

Verified I could get into Avast and then rebooted.

I didn"t get the message to reboot and Avast came up OK and  it was all joy.

I have 2 other XP and 1 W7 machine to upgrade will see what happens.   I will definatly do an image copy first.

If this didn"t work I was gonna uninstall Avast in safe mode and find another product cause this is BS lack of testing  IMO.

lexpilot

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:53:41 AM »
Similar thing here. xP SP2. Seemed to install okay but every time I start the machine I get the same one that came up after required restart.
It says "almost finished click finish button" After I click finish it looks good. I show up now at every start up.
Any suggestions?
Lex

Reetesh

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 09:03:06 AM »
hey i have defragmented my all drives recently..cleaned all spywares...etc...
and after the reboot this is my observation....alas more weird

time              cumulative
pressed the power on button at                  0 secs           0 secs
logon sound                                                 56.72secs        56.72secs
logon screen                                                 1.46secs          58.18secs
welcome screen  to black screen with cursor 1min26secs    1min44.00secs
blue circle appeaRS with cursor                    9min27.13secs 10min53.13secs
start+taskbar                                                5.9secs            10min59.03secs
start sound                                                    48.62secs        11min47.65secs
fully load                                                         1min44.12secs13min31.77secs

..earlier my comp was woking fine...and it all started with avast7 upgrade
so something is wrong ...plz help me to fix this...s**t now it takes 13.5 minutes to load ...wat to do..freezing problem is solved if u leave the computer till it fully loads

avoidz

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 02:38:20 PM »
Similar thing here. xP SP2. Seemed to install okay but every time I start the machine I get the same one that came up after required restart.
It says "almost finished click finish button" After I click finish it looks good. I show up now at every start up.
Any suggestions?
Lex

Could try this answer: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93915.msg747943#msg747943

JayC

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2012, 04:29:16 PM »
I just wanted to post an update. I have gone back to version 6. I'm not updating from 6 until they get the kinks worked out of 7. Maybe then they'll call it 8.  ::) Anyway, 7 was still making my computer behave weirdly. If I had it running, I could reboot numerous times without issue. Everything would load. If I did a cold start of the computer, like for the first time of the day, strange things could happen. Not everything would load. The Avast bubble wouldn't even show up. Sometimes if I press the reset button, everything would load upon restart. When things would hang, the taskbar would be unusable. After fighting with 7 for the last two days I have removed it this morning. I booted into Safe Mode, then removed Avast through Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel. After rebooting, I booted into Safe Mode again and ran the uninstall utility to remove any residual files. I just can't have it hanging Windows on startup.

Squeeky

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2012, 06:14:01 PM »
I had the same (or a very similar) problem with Win7 x64 and Avast 7.  I did the program upgrade (via the icon in the SysTray), and on reboot, I got the Windows welcome screen, and then the screen went to black, with only the mouse pointer visible (the mouse remained movable).  Keyboard input (such as CTRL-ALT-DEL) didn't do anything.

Reboot (hard reset).  Same result.

Reboot into safe mode.  Completely uninstall Avast 7 (including all program data, etc.).  Reboot into Windows.  System works flawlessly again.  I reinstall Avast 7, and it appears to work fine.

There is definitely a problem with the installation of the Avast 7 upgrade.

Offline rob24

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
Am  also getting big problems on Win XP SP3. After upgrade to version 7, start was slower, including the BIOSTAR display right after power up or restart. Then it hung a long time on the black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots, then it proceeded to start more slowly than ever.

Next day on power up same thing, long dwell (30-40 secs on BIOS screen then it indicated windows had had a power interruption, offering options to start to the last known good configuration and the various safe modes. I chose 'last good set up'. It proceeded to start, again hanging a long time at the black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots, before continuing its slow start.

Today on power up, again very long hang on BIOSTAR, then untra-long hang on black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots, before I lost patience at pressed reset. I could not get it to start even in safe mode before again resetting and going to last known good config. Again hung on black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots, so I decided just to leave it even longer. About 3 minutes later it went to the logon screen and proceeded to start fully very slowly.

This is so disappointing as updates have previously been faultless. Because of the long hang at the bios I wonder whether that is somehow affected. Even if I hit [DEL] to get into the bios setup (not that I know what to do when there) that takes some time to appear.

I was ready to give up and take the pc down the shop to get them to fix it.

What would anyone recommend? Looking at other threads it seems some are OK after a clean install of Avast 7 whilst others are not and revert to 6.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

been

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 08:17:53 PM »
I had similar problems with Windows 7 which were fixed by going into settings --> troubleshooting and switching off the rootkit scan at boot and setting Avast to load after other services.

Offline rob24

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2012, 10:20:59 PM »
I had similar problems with Windows 7 which were fixed by going into settings --> troubleshooting and switching off the rootkit scan at boot and setting Avast to load after other services.
I tried that - made no difference. I changed it back now, each time the boot process was exceptionally slow.
Also I notice there is disc activity the whole time (I can hear the disc and the light is on continuously.
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

Offline rob24

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2012, 12:00:28 AM »
Well I uninstalled Avast from Control Panel, rebooted (again very long boot including bios hang to Safe mode. Used uninstall utility to uninstall all versions. Rebooted (slow in all ways already described without Avast (I had unplugged router for safety). Then reinstalled a clean Avast 7.

Result: back to square 1 with bios hang, then untra-long hang on black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots, then to logon.

One problem gone - constant disc activity. But upgrade to 7 has messed up my PC. It's going to have to go for a Windows reinstall. I have the Windows disc but not the confidence to use it.

bobo1

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2012, 01:09:51 AM »
Hi
Get rid of spybot search & destroy. Gets deep in the registry and old hat not as good as malware bytes free,
How many processes running when booted up??? without antivirus installed (Control alt delete)?. Is cpu load at constant 100%??. Will cause very slow computer, ie looping processes. Or Overheating problems is cpu fan clean of dust!!!
Download crapcleaner free & do full scan/clean up/ registry cleanup.
Defrag hard drive,
Type sfc/scannow. To check sys files for errors. XP cd needed.
Re try and load avast again
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:23:36 AM by bobo1 »

Offline rob24

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 01:44:58 AM »
Signature out of date. (will change it now). I got shot of Spybot a few months ago.
55 process running. There are a couple of Avast processes running, but I don't know how many without Avast running (I guess two less). CPU load is between 1-12%.
You mean CCleaner? I have it installed and ran it maybe 3 weeks ago. Not a registry cleanup though.
Will try these tomorrow inc a defrag.
Seem to recall being asked to use sfc /scannow by support line many years ago on another Windows XP PC. If a file is replaced from the cd will it be the latest version, what with all the updates Windows gets?

I don't have too much to lose by trying these things I suppose but it's the fundamental early change that occurred that causes the bios to hang and then untra-long hang on black screen 'Windows XP' with the moving blue dots.

Will I need to uninstall ans reinstall Avast again?

bobo1

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 01:03:25 PM »
Hi,
55 processes seems on the high side, Have you any toolbars installed. My computer is on  XP SP3 and is very basic one. (IBM Thinkpad) and has 25 processes going and is very fast with the latest Avast.
And boots up from 0-45 secs!

You could try msconfig and see what is running and do a diagnositc trim down of background processes to speed up the boot process.
Yes i would use the avast uninstal utility to get rid of the previous avast & run the computer without the antivirus and compare your boot up time without it. If it is ok without it try new install of V7.

You could try downloading OTL And post a log of running processes for a malware expert to check
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 01:26:08 PM by bobo1 »