Author Topic: Computer has lost all internet connectivity  (Read 5524 times)

CamB

Computer has lost all internet connectivity
« on: August 22, 2011, 10:53:33 PM »
Hello again. I have a rather spontaneous and inexplicable computer problem. As far as I know though, it has nothing to do with viruses/worms, so if I'm in the wrong forum let me know and I'll take this elsewhere.

I have a computer that's about a year old running Windows XP (Pro I believe) with all the latest updates and service packs. When I went to sleep a couple nights ago, everything was working fine. The next morning I took a trip and was gone most of the day. When I came back home, there had apparently been a storm and half of the house had no electricity; a trip to the circuit breaker fixed that. I had not left my computer on while I was gone; it was plugged in, but shut off. When I turned it on, it seemed to be working normally, except I had no internet connection. First, I restarted the modem and the router, which made no difference. Another computer in the house and a videogame console I have were both able to access the 'net fine, so the connection wasn't just down for the whole house. I also swapped ethernet cables, so that's not the problem. I also noticed that the lights by my computer's ethernet port are not on, and far more troubling, there is nothing at all anymore in my Network Connections window. Usually I have, if memory serves, at least two icons in that window at all times, even when I have no connection (1394 Connection and Local Area Connection I think).

My biggest fear is that somehow the storm fried my computer's ethernet port (or whatever the key component is, maybe the NIC? I'm rather clueless when it comes to computer hardware), although this would be surprising considering that it didn't hurt the other computer in the house that's hooked up to the same modem and router that mine is (plus the fact that my ASUS P5G41TM-LE motherboard supposedly has "ASUS Anti-Surge Proection"). If that's not the case (which I sure hope), then does anyone have any ideas as to why my networking software would just stop working, or what I could do about it?

aznsaiyan1029

Re: Computer has lost all internet connectivity
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 10:59:09 PM »
have you tried system restore? maybe one of the file stopped working suddenly. I usually system restore to the previous save point and everything works fine then.

CamB

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »
Yes, that was one of the first things I tried. Did a system restore to the day before I left for my trip. Nothing changed.

aznsaiyan1029

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 05:54:31 AM »
The internet driver (properties from local connection) maybe reponsible for it, try reinstall them if you know which internet driver is responsible for the connection. I am no expert, but I am think the problem should be around there, because sometimes they stop functioning because of some programs or installation.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 08:40:28 AM »
Sometimes the connections are hidden  in network connections on left view network connections
Or like said you need to reinstall.
So you’re hard wired only? On this Computer

argus

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2011, 09:07:30 AM »
When I came back home, there had apparently been a storm and half of the house had no electricity;
I also noticed that the lights by my computer's ethernet port are not on, and far more troubling, there is nothing at all anymore in my Network Connections window.

Network card is dead. You had the luck that was not destroyed motherboard.
You must buy a new network card.

CamB

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 01:11:54 AM »
So you’re hard wired only?
Yes.

Network card is dead. You had the luck that was not destroyed motherboard.
You must buy a new network card.
I was afraid that might be the case. Is that sort of thing a common occurrence? Should I be unplugging my ethernet cable every time there's a storm? I assumed as long as the computer was off a power outage or whatever wouldn't affect it.

SHARKY7SHARKY

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:26:10 AM »
 just use a Surge protector; it’s also got connections for phones & TV aerial
Network cards are cheap to buy if that’s the case.
Have you checked in computer management----Device Manager to see.

argus

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 12:34:31 PM »
I was afraid that might be the case. Is that sort of thing a common occurrence? Should I be unplugging my ethernet cable every time there's a storm? I assumed as long as the computer was off a power outage or whatever wouldn't affect it.

If the router is connected to the telephone, simply unplug the cable from the router (phone cable).

CamB

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:31 PM »
Have you checked in computer management----Device Manager to see.
Yeah, I fooled around in the device manager for quite some time. Unfortunately, I don't remember what devices it normally included under the Network Adapters when my connection was working, so I'm not sure what was or wasn't missing. I feel like something probably was...I didn't see the "1394 Net Adapter" for instance. Some troubleshooter suggested I uninstall all the adapters in the device manager and Windows would automatically detect and reinstall them...that didn't work.

Anyway, I'm off to try to find a new network card I guess. Computer's been a little iffy lately, and I've been meaning to reinstall Windows for a while now anyway...if that doesn't solve the problem, I'll know it's a hardware issue.

Thank you for your advice everyone, hopefully this will be the last you hear from me for a while.