Author Topic: Will avast free 8 work on Windows 8  (Read 13754 times)

Diddy

Will avast free 8 work on Windows 8
« on: August 25, 2013, 07:44:18 AM »
HI I was wondering if I could ask some  simple questions.  Now bare in mind I am suppose to get a laptop that has windows 8 on it just windows 8 no preview.  I was wanting to now honestly please how can I uninstall Microsoft antivirus to make sure that when I install avast free on Windows 8 that I do not get a bunch of problems.

I was also wondering will avast free 8.0.1489 will it work on Windows 8 laptop without any problems at all?

I was also wanting to now can I disable Windows Defender forever in windows 8 so it does not interfere with Avast 8 free as well?

The reason I want to uninstall Microsoft antivirus from Windows 8 is simple I do not have much trust in microsoft as a antivirus company and I do not like defender so I would like to disable it forever on Windows 8 is it a risk to disable windows defender in Windows 8?

Thanks

Sorry all the questions I have never used Windows 8 before so that is why I wanted to ask some questions about avast free for Windows 8

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Will avast free 8 work on Windows 8
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2013, 08:33:09 AM »
HI I was wondering if I could ask some  simple questions.  Now bare in mind I am suppose to get a laptop that has windows 8 on it just windows 8 no preview.  I was wanting to now honestly please how can I uninstall Microsoft antivirus to make sure that when I install avast free on Windows 8 that I do not get a bunch of problems.

I was also wondering will avast free 8.0.1489 will it work on Windows 8 laptop without any problems at all?

I was also wanting to now can I disable Windows Defender forever in windows 8 so it does not interfere with Avast 8 free as well?

The reason I want to uninstall Microsoft antivirus from Windows 8 is simple I do not have much trust in microsoft as a antivirus company and I do not like defender so I would like to disable it forever on Windows 8 is it a risk to disable windows defender in Windows 8?

Thanks

Sorry all the questions I have never used Windows 8 before so that is why I wanted to ask some questions about avast free for Windows 8
hi Diddy,

Glad to have you back.

As far as Windows Defender goes, you either manually disable it first or it automatically disables itself when a third-party antivirus program begins to install.  Much different sort of program from the predecessor, Microsoft Security Essentials.

Not possible to uninstall it in Windows 8 as it was not designed to ever be uninstalled, only disabled.  Rationale for this is simple:  Every copy of Windows 8 that goes out the door this way with an a/v already installed, and active, on it so as to protect the system and the operating system.  So, it is more or less built into the operating system, unlike third-party a/v's.

Interestingly, MSE remains very popular as an a/v choice, whilst WD in W8 only has about 25% retention rate.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Diddy

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2013, 08:36:57 AM »
So if I disable Windows MSE on Windows 8 I will not have any problems with installing avast on Windows 8 will I?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2013, 11:48:07 AM »
MSE will automatically disable itself on windows 8 when you install Avast

Offline CapriAnupam

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:04:26 PM »
Diddy, I have been using Avast 8 on my Windows 8 desktop for a long time, and Avast works like a charm.. never gave me any problem at all.

You do not have to worry about Windows Defender. As others have posted too, Windows Defender will automatically disable, when any third party antivirus is installed on Windows 8. So, you do not have to do anything manually.

Just install Avast, and start using it... no need to worry about anything :).

Offline Cast

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 04:13:29 AM »
I tried Avast 8 with my sisters recently purchased windows 8, installed fine but I couldnt get it to actually load it and run it. I guess it could just depend on computer as each system is different.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2013, 04:25:11 AM »
I tried Avast 8 with my sisters recently purchased windows 8, installed fine but I couldnt get it to actually load it and run it. I guess it could just depend on computer as each system is different.
Maybe the new system also had a preinstalled antivirus on it as so many do ( Norton, McAfee etc ), even if their not activated they can still produce problems.

I picked up a new Win8 system for my mother a week ago which came preinstalled with McAfee and part of the purchase bonus also provided a free boxed version of Norton ::) If I had of left that with my mother she probably would have installed the Norton cd and be in a real mess, I gave the Norton boxed set to the Good Samaritans and uninstalled all the McAfee junk then installed Avast which then automatically disabled Defender ;D