Author Topic: avast, thunderbird & stunnel  (Read 5315 times)

KCat

avast, thunderbird & stunnel
« on: September 13, 2008, 02:19:27 AM »
I am very much an Avast newbie & just need to clarify what I'm reading about Avast & Mozilla Thunderbird.  FYI-I was using AVG & was happy until their new version which started causing slowdowns/freezing with internet & other processes.  A tech minded friend suggested Avast since I am *not* tech minded.

I'm using:   
Avast 4.8 home (free edition)
Mozilla Thunderbird 2.0.0.16  (pop secure access of gmail accounts & 1 yahoo account)

So what I understand is that Avast cannot currently scan POP mail that is SSL or TSL encrypted.  In order to be able to do this I would need to use a third program (Stunnel) to filter the mail through.  And there are several posts as to how to configure the programs.

Questions: 
Is email scanning really that necessary when obtaining Gmail & Yahoo mail using Thunderbird? I mean, doesn't Google & Yahoo scan incoming mail for viruses already, so what I do on my end is a second level of defense?   Or am I delusional on that front?

If I switch my POP access for the accounts in Thunderbird to unsecured, will Avast then be able to scan the mail?   I have the secure access because that's what the set-up faqs  for each told me to do but I don't really understand what the difference is.

Basically, I find the posts I've found on Avast, TB & Stunnel to be confusing as some mention a fourth program I would need & others don't.  So if I can get away without those & still be protected I'm all for it.  I'm also confused because the help menu for Avast mentions a menu item called "Mail Protection Wizard" but I don't have that in my menu.

Thank you very much for any assistance or directions to it.   

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast, thunderbird & stunnel
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 03:53:01 AM »
So what I understand is that Avast cannot currently scan POP mail that is SSL or TSL encrypted.  In order to be able to do this I would need to use a third program (Stunnel) to filter the mail through.  And there are several posts as to how to configure the programs.
Right.

Is email scanning really that necessary when obtaining Gmail & Yahoo mail using Thunderbird? I mean, doesn't Google & Yahoo scan incoming mail for viruses already, so what I do on my end is a second level of defense?   Or am I delusional on that front?
It's a second level of defense, but better safe than sorry. emails is (yet) a source of malware.

If I switch my POP access for the accounts in Thunderbird to unsecured, will Avast then be able to scan the mail?
No, because GMail and Yahoo need the SSL connection to work.

I have the secure access because that's what the set-up faqs  for each told me to do but I don't really understand what the difference is.
Secure means encrypted here. Unsecure, unencrypted.

I'm also confused because the help menu for Avast mentions a menu item called "Mail Protection Wizard" but I don't have that in my menu.
For windows 98 and Me only. Not for 2k, NT, XP and Vista. In the last ones, the scanning is automatic (for non-protected emails).
The best things in life are free.