Author Topic: How do I enable Avast Antivirus?  (Read 7915 times)

randster

How do I enable Avast Antivirus?
« on: December 30, 2005, 01:41:49 AM »
I have Avast on three computers.  They all are working but mine.  I clicked on the icon and the last time it was run was back in March 2005.  I know the little spinning icon in the right hand corner should be there but mine is not.   I click on my desk top the Avast icon and when it is ready, I see the where the "Resident Protection" is disabled.  Can anyone help me get this going?  Thanks!!

justin1278

Re: How do I enable Avast Antivirus?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »
Hello and welcome to the avast! user forums,

In the taskbar there is a little arrow, maybe it is hiding the icon. If you still do not see the icon after you click on the arrow try looking in the Windows security center (if using XP). You can also try disabling all of the avast! programs in the taskmanager then try a restart. To open the taskmanager go to the taskbar right click then a little window will come up by the mouse and click task manager, that should open the taskmanager up for you.

~justin1278

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 08:12:01 PM »
Which is your Windows? 98, Me, XP?
Do you use any other antivirus in your computer?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair). You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

If this does not help, can you uninstall / boot / install / boot again and register your avast Home version?
The best things in life are free.

randster

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 10:03:55 PM »
I went into the task manager.  There is no Avast showing.  I have Windows NT.  There are no other anti-viruses loaded.  Should I uninstall and reinstall?  What next?  Thanks!! 

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2005, 10:08:04 PM »
Should I uninstall and reinstall?  What next?  Thanks!! 
It won't harm indeed...
Any other security program that could block avast from loading (WinPatrol, TeaTimer, PrevX, ProcessGuard, etc.)?
The best things in life are free.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2005, 10:10:33 PM »
It would probably be best to download the latest version of avast (since you haven't used the old one since March) and save it to your HDD, somewhere you can find it again. Use that when you uninstall, reboot, install latest version, reboot.

Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

justin1278

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005, 12:37:38 AM »
Hello,

In the task manager it will not show avast directly, there are different components, for example the update component that you can find in the task manager it called aswUpdSv.exe, with that said I would terminate all procceses starting with ash in the taskmanager. The only component of avast! that I noticed that does not start with ash is the update component which is aswUpd.exe. After that restart your system, if that does not fix your problem do a reinstall/repair of avast! antivirus.

~justin1278
« Last Edit: December 31, 2005, 12:44:16 AM by justin1278 »