Author Topic: Glary Utilities Pro v2.15.0.738 infected?  (Read 15398 times)

Tsimmes

Glary Utilities Pro v2.15.0.738 infected?
« on: August 19, 2009, 10:52:54 PM »
Downloaded the newest version of Glary Utilities (gusetup.exe) from the Glary website and on scanning, Avast found Win32:Induc. I scanned the Glary Utilities folder (older version .728) and Avast found Win32:Induc in joinexe.exe and encryptexe.exe. I have emailed these two files to Avast from the vault. Please confirm if these two files are truly infected and if so, how I should deal with them.

spg SCOTT

Re: Glary Utilities Pro v2.15.0.738 infected?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 11:01:00 PM »
Hi Tsimmes,

Hmmm...apparently .738 is clean:

They seem to have already solved this:
avast! blog >> Win32:Induc, new concept of file infector? >> Comments

Glary Utilities (build 2.15.0.728) is infected. Last build 2.15.0.738 from 18. August is clean.

So you're saying the new (2.15.0.738) build is infected also?

Can you right click the file in the chest that refers to the newest build and click email to alwil software?
Fill out the form and click submit, the file will be sent upon the next update (you can do a manual update to initiate the sending)

-Scott-

EDIT:just downloaded and scanned gusetup.exe (vps = 090819-0) No alerts - Are you sure?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 11:10:09 PM by spg SCOTT »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 11:14:53 PM »
The files were also detected by Microsoft Security Essentials. I've sent them to Quarantine for further analysis.
The best things in life are free.

Tsimmes

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2009, 12:27:43 AM »
I restored the file (gupsetup.exe - there was a p in the filename) to my download directory and it turned out to be v2.15.0.728 (although I did download it from the Glary website yesterday).

On another note, since updating to Avast v4.8.1351, I've lost the Avast scan icon in my Explorer context menu. In Avast settings, both of the boxes for Show results and Show Explorer extension icon are both checked but there's no sign of them in the Explorer context menu. Can you advise why this might be? Thank you.

spg SCOTT

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2009, 12:50:21 AM »
The files were also detected by Microsoft Security Essentials. I've sent them to Quarantine for further analysis.

Tech, have you got the latest build?

Tsimmes,

Do you mean that the icon is missing from the context menu or the whole context menu is missing?

Either way you could try a repair of the program:

******Avast Repair******XP

Can you try a repair of Avast?
Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

-Scott-

EDIT: BTW, your sig says SP2 - this is way out of date and you should really update to SP3...
EDIT2: Wait, you can't change your sig yet, is that the case, or have you not updated?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 01:15:53 AM by spg SCOTT »

francine

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2009, 02:09:50 AM »
I have two Glary files infected. Strangely enough, I had uninstalled Glary a while ago because I didn't like it. Imagine my surprise when I found a bunch of Glary files still on my HD. I am attaching a screen shot of my virus chest.

Tsimmes

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:17:51 AM »

Tsimmes,

Do you mean that the icon is missing from the context menu or the whole context menu is missing?

Either way you could try a repair of the program:

******Avast Repair******XP

Can you try a repair of Avast?
Start-->control panel-->add/remove programs -->avast antivirus --> click remove --> scroll down and click repair

-Scott-

EDIT: BTW, your sig says SP2 - this is way out of date and you should really update to SP3...
EDIT2: Wait, you can't change your sig yet, is that the case, or have you not updated?

The repair worked like a charm--I have the icon back. My XP is SP3--I'll change the sig as soon as I figure out how to do it.  ;)

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »
@francine

Steps to turn off System Restore
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
Click to select the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click to select the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
Click OK.
When you receive the following message, click Yes to confirm that you want to turn off System Restore:
You have chosen to turn off System Restore. If you continue, all existing restore points will be deleted, and you will not be able to track or undo changes to your computer.

Do you want to turn off System Restore?
After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Steps to turn on System Restore
Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

I do not like Glary Utilities as it does not un-unstall cleanly and leaves files and Folders that have to be removed manually.

@Tsimmes
You will be able to update your Profile when you have 20 posts. 
This limitation was put in to prevent forum spammers from modifiying their Profile.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2009, 05:46:02 PM »
If you seek registry cleaner I can recommend ccleaner and Iobit advanced windows care that's do a good job keeping your computer free from registry problems and so one. Iobit offer also a good defragger that i also use and it do a better job then defragger in windows

http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
http://iobit.com/
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

francine

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2009, 08:39:13 PM »
The surprise is that I uninstalled Glary a long time ago because I didn't like it. I now understand that Glary leaves lots of stuff behind on the HD. I have attached a screen shot of what's left of Glary on my computer. How do I get rid of these filles manually and safely?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2009, 08:42:23 PM »
If you already uninstall Glary, just delete the folder and empty your recycle bin.
The best things in life are free.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2009, 09:49:49 PM »
If you already uninstall Glary, just delete the folder and empty your recycle bin.

mikaelrask, same thing applies for IOBit applications as they leave almost as much junk behind as a Norton un-install.