Author Topic: Problems straight after boot-up  (Read 5107 times)

Farqueue

Problems straight after boot-up
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:54:37 PM »
Since getting a new HP laptop with Windows7 Home Premium, I've had one disconcerting issue.

Every day when booting-up, as soon as Avast produces the pop-up box announcing updated definitions, a very loud buzz emits from my laptop.  It usually stops after a couple of seconds, but on one occasion, the buzz became indefinite and my Windows freezed.  I could only shut down by holding down the power key.  When I tried to reboot, Windows refused, siting a registry error.  I had to boot in safe mode and restore my system to an earlier point.

Is this a known issue with Windows 7, or with the way HP laptops are configured? 

I would like to resolve the problem, as I have always like Avast, but if it persists, I will have to consider ditching it and switching to new security software. :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Problems straight after boot-up
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 02:58:55 PM »
have you removed the preinstalled AV that HP computers usually comes with ?  ( Norton )

Uninstalling third-party antivirus software (Removing your Current AV)
https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 03:03:27 PM by Pondus »

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 03:06:53 PM »
Join the club the exact same thing happened to me. In fact it has happened THREE TIMES now!!
At first i suspected Malware but upon scanning my system is always clean. I don't get the beep you are talking about but Avast definitely has some issues with Windows 7. I have no other AV software installed.
Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit) SP1,
Intel Core i5-2410M @2.30GHz, 6GB RAM
AvastFree Antivirus & ZoneAlarm Free.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »
It is not a windows 7 problem, what other programmes do you have running/updating at boot ?

I use windows 7 and have experienced none of these performance issues - but all I have running at start is Avast and my wallpaper changer 

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2011, 03:50:32 PM »
It is not a windows 7 problem, what other programmes do you have running/updating at boot ?

I use windows 7 and have experienced none of these performance issues - but all I have running at start is Avast and my wallpaper changer  

Actually you could be right. Having done some research on this i have found that many Windows 7 users are experiencing this after installing a particular Microsoft Update.

Offline wonderwrench

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2011, 03:54:26 PM »
One thing you could try is disabling sounds in Avast and see if it fixes the problem. If it does a possible fix would be updating your sound drivers. If your laptop uses Realtek sound updated drivers are available here. http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downloadsCheck.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=14&PFid=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false Another thing to try would be to set Avast to load after all other services. Settings/TroubleShooting

Bill
Main Box*i7 930*GB X58A-UD3R*3x4 gig Patriot DDR3 1600 EL*EVGA GTX 460 1 gig*Intel X25-M G2 80 gig*WD 2TB Green*ASUS DRW-24B3LT*Samsung SH-S223L*LG WH14NS40*Corsair AX750*Rosewill Challenger case*Windows 8 Pro 64 bit*Avast 8 Free 8.0.1482*MBAM Pro*Firefox 19.0.1*NoScript

Farqueue

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2011, 06:24:54 PM »
One thing that occurred to me, is that it started after I installed drivers for my Epson printer. 

From past experience I've noticed that Avast has issues with Epson software - it frequently flagged it up as malware.

I've disabled my Epson software from starting at boot-up, in the hope that the boot-time conflict won't occur.  We'll have to wait and see.

Offline justinlee

• Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2011, 03:44:17 AM »
Prior to this happening did Avast suddenly stop working and couldn't be 'fixed now'. Instead you would have to do a re-install?

Farqueue

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 05:19:46 AM »
Prior to this happening did Avast suddenly stop working and couldn't be 'fixed now'. Instead you would have to do a re-install?

No.  It was fine until the Epson installation. ???

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »
I've never had a problem with Windows updates and I don't use an Epson printer, but one way to check if it's a conflict with avast! and Epson drivers is uninstall avast! and run the avast! uninstall tool.

Install MSE.  http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/

If after installing MSE you don't have any problems you know it's the Epsom drivers.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2011, 07:53:22 AM »

If after installing MSE you don't have any problems you know it's the Epsom drivers.
Instead of adding another component to the mix, I would not install MSE but instead just use Windows Defender (update the AV definitions) temporarily as a test to see if it is the Epsom Drivers.  This way the OP does not need to try and uninstall another AV on his system after this test.  If the OP finds that the Epsom drivers still do not work properly, he/she can reinstall Avast and just disable Windows Defender. 

After doing this test, then we need to problem solve further depending on the results.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2011, 10:55:06 AM »
SafeSurf,

You didn't read the first part of my post.

I've never had a problem with Windows updates and I don't use an Epson printer, but one way to check if it's a conflict with avast! and Epson drivers is uninstall avast! and run the avast! uninstall tool.

Then...

Keeping avast! on the computer wont help if it's avast! that's conflicting with Epsom drivers.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2011, 11:07:51 AM »
Keeping avast! on the computer wont help if it's avast! that's conflicting with Epsom drivers.
I agree, however I think the OP should use Win. Defender instead of installing another AV (MSE) during this trial is what I was trying to say in my post.  Sorry for the misunderstanding but we are both saying to uninstall Avast during the trial period but the OP still needs AV protection during this trial.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 11:46:10 PM »
I agree, however I think the OP should use Win. Defender instead of installing another AV (MSE) during this trial is what I was trying to say in my post.  Sorry for the misunderstanding but we are both saying to uninstall Avast during the trial period but the OP still needs AV protection during this trial.

but the OP still needs AV protection during this trial.

Windows Defender Isn't an a/v.  We both agree that the OP needs a/v protection while testing to see if Epsom drivers are the culprits.  This is why I suggest putting MSE temporarily on OP's 'puter.  Easy install & uninstall.

This is why I