Author Topic: avast!Antivirus:Attention, your system is not fully protected  (Read 17101 times)

Offline havildar

Some advice please.

Pointing my cursor at the avast icon produces the message as above.

All shields are `running` and the icon spins from time to time. Automatic update is on and updated successfully this morning.

Can abyone suggest why it is I`m getting this error message and what to do about it?

XP Sp3  Avast 5.0.545  Manual update confirms all up to date.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast!Antivirus:Attention, your system is not fully protected
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2010, 05:48:09 PM »
Attention, your system is not fully protected.
Can you go to Settings > Status and check what is being reported as disabled?
The best things in life are free.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 05:49:33 PM »
Might be silly but Just reboot and see if everything is fine?

nmb

Offline havildar

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 05:51:40 PM »
Done.

Settings> status all boxes ticked and nothing reported as disabled.
Windows XP Sp3 Home desktop, Windows 10 Pro laptop, Avast 17.8.2318 Free , Malwarebytes Anti-malware (free), SpywareBlaster. SuperAntispyware, WOT. Firefox Quantum.

Offline havildar

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 05:56:05 PM »
Not `silly` at all.  I`ll reboot and try again later.

Thank you.

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 05:57:38 PM »
Not `silly` at all.  I`ll reboot and try again later.

Thank you.

Silly in the sense, not what you have asked but what I asked to do. hope you didnt misunderstand me.

nmb

Offline havildar

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 06:01:59 PM »
Not at all. No problem.

Rebooting is a well-known, if slightly mysterious way of putting many things right ... including nuclear submarines, or so it says in the advert!

Offline havildar

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 06:21:11 PM »
Rebooted.

Much CPU activity due to Avast.setup in Task Manager.

Cursor pointing now produces: avast!Antivirus: Your system is secured.

Very odd. A glitch, perhaps?

I`ll try again later and report back.

Jima

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 06:48:04 PM »
Gee, a question I might have the answer to! :)
I think you have the Automatic Updates Function off and avast! wants it on for some reason.
I have a slow modem and want control of updates so they don't interfere with occacionally important traffic.
As a result I always get that message.
I would be interested in whether the five star folks here think the Auto funciton is important.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 07:07:14 PM »
I have a slow modem and want control of updates so they don't interfere with occacionally important traffic.
I consider update important traffic..... ;)

but you may get a reply from DavidR, he is also on a slow modem.........and he have 6 stars..... ;D
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 07:15:50 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 07:41:04 PM »
I consider update important traffic..... ;)

but you may get a reply from DavidR, he is also on a slow modem.........and he have 6 stars..... ;D

Yes I'm on dial-up and there really is no need not to allow auto updates for the virus definitions and engine (the default setting), since avast uses incremental updates the actual size of the download is measured in KBs not MBs, so for a normal dial-up connection you shouldn't have any issues. I'm able to carry on working in the forum whilst this is happening, my only concession is to delay the update check for 10 minutes to allow for hopping on-line to collect mail or make a quick browse/search.

The program update is set to notify 'Ask' as this is likely to be bigger and you would only want to do that at a time convenient to you, e.g. not browsing/downloading something, etc. Having said that the last program update was still less than 1MB, see image of the last 5.0.507 - 5.0.545 program update.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Navvy

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 07:56:33 PM »
I have a relative who is on dial-up, and I've been thinking of turning off the avast automatic updates.  He uses Outlook Express set up to hang up after sending and receiving email.  Frequently he gets an SMTP error (without a number?) when sending an email, and has to try again the following day - sometimes taking 3 days to send an email.

This was on Avast 4.8 and I've just upgraded him to 5.0.545 to see if that works better - there was no problem when I tried sending an email, so I wasn't able to do any diagnosis.

My thought was that OE might be timing out and hanging up while avast is checking for updates.  I often see on my own machine that it can take a long time for the avast 4.8 servers to respond to a request for database updates - and I'm on broadband.

Dch48

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:22:05 PM »
Not at all. No problem.

Rebooting is a well-known, if slightly mysterious way of putting many things right ... including nuclear submarines, or so it says in the advert!
Or like the old thing about what would be in the owner's manual if Microsoft built cars. " In the case of an engine malfunction, close all open windows and restart"

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »
What will be a glitch or avast's fault be related to Microsoft? ???
The best things in life are free.

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 09:49:59 PM »
What will be a glitch or avast's fault be related to Microsoft? ???
Come on, it was just a humorous response to the fact that rebooting Windows can fix problems you're having.