Author Topic: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!  (Read 65870 times)

fil

Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« on: June 30, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

I THOUGHT YOU WERE MORE SERIOUS: I'M QUITTING THIS SOFTWARE NOW AND MAKING MT CUSTOMERS LEAVE IT ASAP.

IT IS NOT ACCEPTABLE THAT YOU INSTALL SOFTWARE IN MY SYSTEM WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!

Offline keloo05

Re: Avast install Google Chrome - WITHOUT ANY AUTHORIZATION!!!
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Fil, you were not carefull enaugh. Please have a look at this post.

Personally in the beta and RC builds I had no install of chrome as I unchecked the option (see image). This screen doesn't appear until you reboot after the install.

Image from DavidR's post
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:14:15 PM by keloo05 »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 04:14:54 PM »
Avast isn't the only ones that ask if you want to install google chrome ccleaner does it to  ;D
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 04:23:50 PM by Coolmario88 »
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 05:50:03 PM »
Avast isn't the only ones that ask if you want to install google chrome ccleaner does it to  ;D
+1 And avast is not the only software that have an opt-out option.
Anytime you install software a user should pay close attention to each step/screen. If you don't you might end up with something you neither like nor want.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

fil

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 12:50:45 AM »
I did use the opt out option!!! I installed avast 7 the day that it was released and I had no chrome on my system. I used avast for a while and now, today avast installed chrome on my system with its update process.

chiliconcarnage

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 07:42:52 PM »
I can confirm what fil said is true.  this newest update installed google chrome, even after I made sure the boxes were unchecked. 

Béňa

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:10:21 AM »
avast! the worst antivirus company about the problem in terms of. I don't know the other antivirus offering advertising software and spyware in one. Only AVG offers their toolbar with LinkScanner.
People can mark off the installation of google chrome and change the default browser. Some people think that it's necessary to install or warping to the Next quickly.

Would you be so kind and not at least let chrome or deselected?
Thank you very much!

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:26:13 AM »
Seriously dude, just uninstall Chrome. You're saying like it installed the toughest rootkit that cannot possible be removed. It's just a Chrome browser. Use Programs and Features option and remove it. It takes around 3 seconds of work... Sure it's annoying but ppl make way too much fuss around unimportant things... ::)
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Béňa

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:41:29 AM »
It is totally unnecessary to avast! forcing something then people must uninstall. Here's the principle. I'm sure some users away, personally I stopped avast! recommend.  I am not installing it on the peoples computers.  And if the licence avast! ending, I recommend another antivirus. 30-40 users is low for you, but others are glad for new users.

I really don't like this behaviour. It's a disgusting from avast!.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 09:55:54 AM »
With such massive userbase it's impossible to make everything work as expected, especially not the detection of Chrome if it's installed or not, will be or has been. Me on the other hand never had the problem. Not with clean installs and not with latest updates through the updater. It never installed Chrome by itself. So clearly they aren't doing it intentionally.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 10:00:07 AM »
1. Me on the other hand never had the problem. Not with clean installs and not with latest updates through the updater. It never installed Chrome by itself.
2. So clearly they aren't doing it intentionally.

1. Same here.
2. +1
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Tetsuo

« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
I thought this could be relevant to confirm what the OP said:

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100608.msg804411#msg804411

Offline cynderella28

« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:13 PM »
I  unchecked the option to install Google Chrome.  :)

I accidentally installed it once before, but I just went to the control panel and removed it.

« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 02:20:10 PM by cynderella28 »
Windows 7 | IE9  | Firefox | avast! 2014.9.0.2021| CCleaner | Malwarebytes | Spywareblaster 5.0

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2012, 02:46:39 PM »
To those concerned,

These kind of optional installs  have been seen more and more lately for free software.
The optional nature of it should be clear from the onset. It has become part of free software marketing as it is to-day,

But the Google browser is not being forced upon you. Now some words to defend avast's choice.

On a second thought consider that the Google browser IS more secure against malicious drive-by-downloads.
This is a fact, because it always comes with the latest updates and fully patched plug-ins for the browser.
It will install automatic updates for these plug-ins. Hordes of users that forget to regularly update their plug-in software
with other browser are still vulnerable. I cannot see why BlueE did not copy that particular Google Chrome browser behavior,
it is so much more secure for those that forget about third party software updates and patches, and there are many?

That is why  malcreants cannot longer abuse these vulnerabilities when Google Chrome is used.
There are already signs that because of this malcious drive-by-download attacks became less popular,
and malcreants have to seek other ways like social engineering to get their malware installed.

So just test your OS and third party software here: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/online/
and then report back whether your Adobe Reader, Flash Player en Java on your computers was fully patched and updated.

Even the Google Chrome  linux version now comes with a n inbuilt sandbox for Flash Player,
Google Chrome can be tweaked to your liking with Chrome Privacy Guard and numerous easy installable security add-ons.

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2012, 02:55:24 PM »
fil & chiliconcarnage,

I'd like to understand the problem you're describing.

A few question:
1. Did you get the screen that keloo05 posted above? (it is supposed to be displayed after you reboot the system after applying the avast product update)
2. If you did get it, did you uncheck the boxes prior to clicking the Finish button?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.