Author Topic: How to Ignore/Exclude False Positive  (Read 8285 times)

beyondo

How to Ignore/Exclude False Positive
« on: October 09, 2010, 11:57:44 AM »
After a recent update, I started getting a "detection" of an 8 year old game "no cd" patch
as Malware Gen.  It's never caused a problem and never tried to access the internet.

So, I want to permanently suppress the detection of this file, while not changing it's location
in the filesystem or preventing me from running it (i.e. blocking it).

When I search the archives, I see people asking for an "ignore" option on the result
screen (i.e., instead of chosing "move to chest," so you can choose "ignore").
Although they own the computer, they're told they really don't know what they're doing
and don't want that option.  Well I do know what I'm doing and do want that option,
which MBAM provides, for example.  The customer is always right.

I did try the "exclude" mechanism, but the exclude list for the real time file list
doesn't seem to affect the "scan now" on demand scan, and the "scan now"'s exclude
list is only for folders, not files.  (I did manage to trick it into accepting a file
name, but didn't work--the exe in question was still "detected".)  I don't want to
move the file into a different directory.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: How to Ignore/Exclude False Positive
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 02:07:53 PM »
As a workaround, you can add these files to the Files Shield exclusion list.
Left click the 'a' orange icon, click on the Real-Time Shields folder at left > File Shield > Expert Settings > Exclusions > Add.
You can use wildcards like * and ?. But be careful, you should 'exclude' that many files that let your system in danger.

You can also add it to the general exclusion list (on demand scannings). Left click the 'a' orange icon, click on Settings button > Exclusions > Add.

Maybe you can check the file against www.virustotal.com before.
The best things in life are free.

beyondo

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 07:46:31 PM »
As I mentioned, I can't add an individual file to the "on demand scanning" exclusion list;
I can only add folders.  I'd have to add the entire folder containing the executable.

Why can't an "ignore" option be added for each detected potential bad file?

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 08:08:01 PM »
As I mentioned, I can't add an individual file to the "on demand scanning" exclusion list;
I can only add folders.  I'd have to add the entire folder containing the executable.

Hello,
last paragraph in:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52322.msg442870#msg442870

Milos

beyondo

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2010, 06:08:22 PM »

Hello,
last paragraph in:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=52322.msg442870#msg442870

Milos

That's an unacceptable attitude for a software vendor to have.  I want control over
the software.  As the customer, my decision should be the important one.  If I want
the precision to shoot my own foot off (in your view) I should be allowed to do it.

Software that is not configurable or customizable is faulty software.  If I wanted
someone else controlling me, I'd buy a Mac.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2010, 07:29:10 PM »
That's an unacceptable attitude for a software vendor to have.
On contrary, the security is for experts not for allowing everyone to do everything.
avast is very configurable, but it is running a user base of 130+ million... You can't act irresponsible.
I have things that, personally, I do not agree with avast. But I understand the decision taken.
The best things in life are free.

gdv

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2010, 12:03:06 AM »
Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems to me you can exclude not only folders, but any individual file you want (in both Scan Now and in the File System Shield), simply by specifying the file at the end of the path statement in the exclusions (and in the File System Shield, you can specify whether you want the exclusion to apply to Read, Write, and/or Execute).

E.g.:  C:\MyGameFolder\8_year_old_game.exe

Please let me know if I'm missing something.  Otherwise, maybe this would take care of the problem.

Cheers! :)

Offline dclarkbillericay2

• I was an IT Controller for Intl Banks retired 2000
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 10:41:47 PM »
I have just experienced this problem. I have a web page wxw.sleepsolve.co.uk.
I have had no problem with this site over the last few years and now suddenly Avast advises that I have URL:MAL.
Now as it's my web page and I and I alone control it, how can this suddenly happen.

There must be a work around on this, otherwise my only option would be to remove Avast and up do date it has been fine.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:11:20 PM by Milos »

Offline Milos

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2018, 01:11:47 PM »
Hello,
URL was unblocked.

Milos

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 05:17:39 PM by Pondus »

Offline dclarkbillericay2

• I was an IT Controller for Intl Banks retired 2000
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2018, 02:18:47 PM »
Thanks Pondus, I have looked at those links and at least it gives me some idea of what the problem is.
I'm glad to that Avast have removed the block. However, I still have a problem with Norton, McAfee and ESET. They still have my site as clear but blacklisted. So I now have to try and work out how to get them to clear the blacklisting.