Author Topic: DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn  (Read 16824 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2008, 03:43:51 PM »
I believe that full DEP requires that your Hardware supports that function, otherwise you have a limited software DEP function.

My CPU although relatively new supposedly doesn't support hardware DEP, but I have no problem with avast and I haven't added avast to the list of ignored programs.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2008, 09:20:58 PM »
According to Intel all Core 2 Duo processors support hardware DEP, perhaps there's a setting in BIOS you need to enable.

Even so, you won't need to add Avast to the list of ignored programs because Microsoft has already done it for you. The setting you have shown is OptOut:
DEP is enabled by default for all processes. You can manually create a list of specific programs that do not have DEP applied by using the System dialog box in Control Panel. Information technology (IT) professionals can use the Application Compatibility Toolkit to "opt-out" one or more programs from DEP protection. System compatibility fixes, or shims, for DEP do take effect.

Avast only has a problem with AlwaysOn:
This setting provides full DEP coverage for the whole system. All processes always run with DEP applied. The exceptions list to exempt specific programs from DEP protection is not available. System compatibility fixes for DEP do not take effect. Programs that have been opted-out by using the Application Compatibility Toolkit run with DEP applied.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2008, 09:42:22 PM »
Yes, that is what I thought, however, I didn't notice a BIOS option for DEP, wasn't looking specifically for that on my last foray into the BIOS.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Arup

« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2009, 03:55:33 AM »
So I guess Windows XPx64 and full DEP has no issues with full DEP.

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2009, 03:59:12 AM »
So I guess Windows XPx64 and full DEP has no issues with full DEP.

It certainly has no problem with DEP set to OptOut, but clearly at least some of us have problems with it set to AlwaysOn.

Arup

« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2009, 04:49:20 AM »
I am comfortable running DEP always on, whatever workarounds needed, I will do it just for that extra ounce of protection. As of now I run my XPx64 with LUA, SuRun, DEP full and Avast and use Opera for browsing, hopefully that would keep it clean for me. Yesterday while trying to install new Realtek sound drivers DEP blocked it. I turned off DEP temporarily and installed the update and then turned DEP back on for full protection. A minor inconvenience for protection well worth it.

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 02:19:39 PM »
I see that the release notes for build 4.8.1351 includes the comment "preparations for smoother migration to v5".

Hopefully version 5 will be fully DEP compliant.