Author Topic: DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn  (Read 16774 times)

.Pedro

DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn
« on: November 12, 2008, 08:17:31 PM »
Hello,

I just joined the forum to report a problem with DEP. By editing the boot.ini to enable DEP, on some situations DEP will terminate Avast!.
Last time i used Avast! it detected something and DEP terminated it - perhaps not completely. I already uninstalled Avast! since i have no time to troubleshoot, and don't use Windows regularly at home.
There is another report that this happens also when using the context menu scan.

I don't expect you will have problems reproducing this issue.

Why DEP in AlwaysOn:
http://blog.fabriceroux.com/index.php/2007/02/26/hardware_dep_has_a_backdoor?blog=1

Instructions from MS to enable DEP (as a reference for whoever reads this):
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/875352
Keep in mind there are no exceptions in AlwaysOn. Any program that doesn't comply WILL shut down.

Cheers

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
Re: DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 08:37:34 PM »
Well thats clearly not a default Windows behavior and as such avast! devs aren't exactly forced to comply.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

.Pedro

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
I'm just reporting an issue.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 08:54:27 PM »
Yes. I'm suresomeone from ALWIL guys will stop buy soon.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:11:02 PM »
I don't expect you will have problems reproducing this issue.

Not really... I remember we tried and didn't encounter any problems.
So, some more info would be needed, I'm afraid... such as at what situations exactly you get the error, if the error box displays any useful info about the particular problem, etc.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:31 PM »
Also, what OS are you using, exactly?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

.Pedro

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:41 PM »
Ok, sorry about that. XP Home, Toshiba M70-320, new image restored, Limited User Account, used PC-WELT scripts
http://www.pcwelt.de/index.cfm?pid=662&pk=65615
http://www.pcwelt.de/schwerpunkt/p/pcwXPProme.html
though i don't think they make a difference - they add gpedit.msc and turn it into a "Pro".

The last instance was with WormGuard downloaded from Majorgeeks. Ran it, Avast! popped and DEP quickly after. I was in a rush, just wanted to leave it configured and had to leave. Here's another report
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=1319736&postcount=1

Do you want me to try it again to see the exact error?

.Pedro

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 04:58:54 PM »
Hello again. Just posting to be sure you don't need further testing. I don't have time to monitor this forum unfortunately.

Do you guys need anything else?

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2008, 10:21:55 AM »
Just echoing this request.

Every year after my annual reinstall, I test whether or not I can run with "DEP - /noexecute=AlwaysOn" set.

This year's test revealed that only Avast and VMware server 1.0.8 fail the DEP requirements.

I'm running XP pro x64 sp2 (certain amount of loyalty as you guys were one of the 1st to support it).

The "On-Access Protection Control" appears to work correctly however DEP failures occur when one tries to run an Anti-Virus scan via either the explorer context menu or choosing "Start avast! Antivirus" by right-clicking the toolbar icon.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2008, 12:35:40 PM »
Interesting, I wasn't able to simulate it on WinXP x64, only ordinary WinXP.
Anyway, the two problems you mention are caused by a Microsoft library (Explorer Extension) and the 3rd party skinning component (the rest of the GUI). So, I'm afraid there isn't much we can do about it right now.

When avast! 5 is released, it will be built by a new version of the compiler, and it won't use skins anymore - so both of the problems should disappear.

Arup

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2008, 05:21:27 PM »
DEP works fine here on x64 XP, I had problems with Orbit but never with Avast.

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2008, 06:55:50 PM »

Are you sure DEP is set to "/noexecute=AlwaysOn" ? (requires editing boot.ini)

Avast does work fine with DEP set to "/noexecute=OptOut" where a list of Microsoft approved exceptions (compatibility shims) are allowed.

With DEP set to "/noexecute=AlwaysOn" there are no exceptions, applications MUST comply.

Arup

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2008, 10:26:09 AM »

Are you sure DEP is set to "/noexecute=AlwaysOn" ? (requires editing boot.ini)

Avast does work fine with DEP set to "/noexecute=OptOut" where a list of Microsoft approved exceptions (compatibility shims) are allowed.

With DEP set to "/noexecute=AlwaysOn" there are no exceptions, applications MUST comply.

DEP has been set to AlwaysOn via boot.ini and Avast has absolutely no issues with it, I run Avast under LUA with SuRun. As a matter of fact none of the programs that I use on daily basis have any issues with DEP, the only one that did has been replaced, it was Orbit which has now been duly replaced by FDM. Open Office, Cocoon Video coverter, Paint.Net, Faststone Image Viewer and many more all work with no issues and so does Avast. Remember, I am on XPx64 with all latest patches.

Kurt_Aust

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 05:41:19 AM »
Well, that's rather strange then, that you should have no problems while for others (including me) it simply won't work with DEP set to AlwaysOn.

It's not like you can be easily mistaken about what caused the error, the Microsoft popup warning / DEP closure box is quite specific.

Arup

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2008, 03:40:16 AM »
Well, that's rather strange then, that you should have no problems while for others (including me) it simply won't work with DEP set to AlwaysOn.

It's not like you can be easily mistaken about what caused the error, the Microsoft popup warning / DEP closure box is quite specific.

Thats true, for many full DEP won't work but I am lucky in that case. However from time to time if I run IE7 under my limited accout I get the DEP warning when I shut it off, doesn't really matter as I rarely and hardly ever use IE, its stricly Opera for me and DEP has no issues with it thankfully.