Author Topic: Problem with Outlook Express  (Read 6294 times)

rayh78

Problem with Outlook Express
« on: December 13, 2010, 06:04:47 PM »
There seems to be a common problem with the new 5.0 Avast and Outlook Express with Hotmail.
I have talked to quite a few people at work that use Avast at Home. It has to do with unchecking SSL but then Hotmail does not work.

Half the people are just unchecking check out going mail in AVAST menu so avast does not check mail. The other half I have talked to have got feed up with it and trying different solutions and just switched from using avast.

Seems it would be best to try to go back to the old avast. But my question is do I really need to have avast even check outgoing mail?

thanks

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Problem with Outlook Express
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 06:29:14 PM »
Seems it would be best to try to go back to the old avast.
Not smart since support for avast! 4.X will end this year

If you want avast to scan an mail account using SSL you must disable the SSL in the mail client and let avast do the SSL

this is how to
avast! 5.x: Some e-mails are not scanned by the Mail Shield
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=458

info: Microsoft is scanning all mail accounts in/out with TrendMicro, so the mail is already scanned once before you recive it...

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 06:33:01 PM »
If your hotmail account is webmail only and not a POP3 account:
It isn't a common problem with avast, but the fact that OE can download your Hotmail web based email into OE, as it uses a proprietary protocol and avast can't scan that protocol, nor forward that using SSL.

So we need to know more about this Hotmail account, is it totally email client POP3 account or is it a webmail account that is converted so it can be downloaded/uploaded ?

Yes IMHO you need avast to scan outbound email, as this isn't just monitoring what you send, but what might be sent if you happen to have an undetected/hidden spambot on your system. These don't use your installed email program as they come with their own, so the first indication you might get to this type of spambot is the Mail Shield alerting on the spam being sent.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 06:44:23 PM »
but the fact that OE can download your Hotmail web based email into OE, as it uses a proprietary protocol and avast can't scan that protocol, nor forward that using SSL.

Some info: David

Microsoft has finally enabled POP3 email access for all users of their Hotmail email service.
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/03/14/hotmail-pop3-configuration/

POP3 access is available for all Hotmail accounts as part of the "Wave 3" release, adding support to access Hotmail from any email client – most notably mobile devices
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hotmail
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010, 06:47:03 PM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 06:52:38 PM »
It is called DeltaSync I believe, it downloads your Hotmail webmail into a separate area of Outlook Express (and other windows live mail, etc.) email folders. It isn't using the standard POP3/SMTP protocols so as such isn't monitored as only MS mail applications can use DeltaSync.

Some old accounts may well still be using webmail and it wasn't introduced in all areas.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 11:29:44 PM »
Hotmail works fine with my Outlook Express and Avast!. I just had to enable POP3 access on the Hotmail site and set the servers in OE to what they said to. It does not put the mail in a different place either. It goes straight into my inbox with all the rest.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:10:13 AM »
Yes, yours is setup as a POP3 account, if it were converting the webmail (WEBDav or DeltaSync) so it could be stored in the OE email folder structure it doesn't go in the inbox.

rayh78

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 06:14:54 AM »
Yes, it is a POP3 account. I do have the paid Hotmail account.
Worked fine for couple of years with old Avast.
If I uncheck SSL in OE then the Hotmail will not work.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 11:21:10 AM »
OK, that is effectively required so that avast can handle it, but you need to check that there is a corresponding entry in the avastUI, Mail Shield, Expert Settings, SSL Accounts for the Hotmail account, is there an entry for the Hotmail account ?

If not you will need to create an entry for both a POP3 and SMTP (with the Encryption option set to SSL) and Ports entry for  Hotmail, that should avast to handle it and hopefully to allow Hotmail to accept the SSL connection.

I'm sorry I can't be any more practical help as I no longer use OE (so I can't refer to any settings, etc. and I don't use Hotmail, so I don't know the Ports that it is using for POP3 and SMTP SSL transmission.

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 12:24:51 PM »
In my mailshield settings , for hotmail the entries are live.com- POP3 -port 995-SSL encryption and live.com-SMTP-port 25-TLS encryption'

In OE the incoming server is pop3.live.com and the outgoing is smtp.live.com. On the advanced tab the outgoing port number is 25 and the incoming is 110. none of the other boxes are checked on the advanced tab and on the servers tab, only the box saying "My server requires authentication" is checked along with remember password.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 12:36:38 PM »
Thanks Dch48, hopefully that will help rayh78.

rayh78

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2010, 05:41:46 PM »
In my mailshield settings , for hotmail the entries are live.com- POP3 -port 995-SSL encryption and live.com-SMTP-port 25-TLS encryption'

In OE the incoming server is pop3.live.com and the outgoing is smtp.live.com. On the advanced tab the outgoing port number is 25 and the incoming is 110. none of the other boxes are checked on the advanced tab and on the servers tab, only the box saying "My server requires authentication" is checked along with remember password.

Tried thoses setting OE and my Hotmail would not work. Went back to my port settings of
587 and 995
But did add to Avast
Live.com    SMTP    587    TLS
And in avast had to uncheck
Automatically detect and warn about unprotected SSL connections.
At least I dont get error boxes. But just like I have heard others say. I think you have to make a choice between the new Avast and protecting outgoing mail.