Author Topic: avast 7 download hangs - now avast can't install or uninstall  (Read 53956 times)

hglord100

avast 7 download hangs - now avast can't install or uninstall
« on: February 25, 2012, 10:53:11 AM »
Running Windows 7 X64. 16 GB memory.

During my attempt to install the new avast 7, the process hung my machine. I had to power down to recover. Now, I have a permanent message in the upper left corner that says "Unsecured   Fix now." When I try to fix it, the system hangs. When I try to download again, I get:

Avast! Setup Fatal Error

Error reading product data from “C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\setup\”. Setup cannot continue.

When I dismiss that, I get:

Setup Selfextract

An error 0 (00000000) has occurred. Last performed operation was: spawning

I cannot remove avast now - I've tried via the Control Panel. Same errors as above. The avast Service is Stopped. I've tried to start it several times; no deal.

Basically avast is dead and I can't remove it.

Please advise.

Thank you.

ady4um

Re: avast 7 download hangs - now avast can't install or uninstall
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:00:30 AM »
Can you try downloading and using the full setup.exe over your current installation?

Please reboot before running the setup.exe and also after the installation finishes.

Please report back.

hglord100

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 12:03:32 PM »
I finally discovered aswclear, downloaded it, and managed to remove avast. Then, I was able to install avast 7.

Unfortunately, at the end of the installation process, the installer hung the machine. Hard. I had to reset.

After rebooting, again, everything appears to be okay. I hope this nightmare is over.

Thanks for your help.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
For peace of mind, can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove. Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
The best things in life are free.

jaypot

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 03:12:52 PM »
I am having the same problems  :(  This is since yesterday when Avast updated to Avast 7.  I can't unistall, re-install or even use the Fix Problem - I am getting "File Setting Sheild provider not found".  Fix it now does not work and te start program does not work.  If I try to uninstall or re-install I get "C/ProgramFiles/AVASTspoftware/Avast/Setup"
I don't know what else I can do  :(  By the way, I'm a woman who doesn't really understand computers that well so would need things in plain English  :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:53 PM »
I am having the same problems  :(  This is since yesterday when Avast updated to Avast 7.  I can't unistall, re-install or even use the Fix Problem - I am getting "File Setting Sheild provider not found".  Fix it now does not work and te start program does not work.  If I try to uninstall or re-install I get "C/ProgramFiles/AVASTspoftware/Avast/Setup"
I don't know what else I can do  :(  By the way, I'm a woman who doesn't really understand computers that well so would need things in plain English  :)
Something went weird in your avast upgrade process.
Will this help? http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=93915.msg747943#msg747943
The best things in life are free.

hglord100

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 10:19:15 PM »
Repair my installation? My installation seems to be fine; it just hung at the end, but it installed okay.

I used the boot-time Avast 7 scan and it worked, so at this point what's to fix?

Thanks for your help.

lowjunbin

« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2012, 08:22:30 AM »
hello....how u do it can teach me?? i have same problem...

hglord100

« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2012, 11:19:14 AM »
Google "aswclear.exe". Go to the first site and download aswclear.exe. Run it. That should remove avast.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2012, 12:17:22 PM »
Google "aswclear.exe". Go to the first site and download aswclear.exe. Run it. That should remove avast.
A little more explanation and instructions would be helpful ::)
Read the instuctions and download the removal tool here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility Try uninstalling avast via remove programs first, once completed or if not possible reboot into safe mode ( tap F8 while booting the system ) and run the removal tool for all previous versions of avast installed then reboot back into normal mode and reinstall a fresh copy of avast that you should download before removing your old version.

Free http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_free_antivirus_setup.exe&product=FA-AVAST&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0

Pro http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_pro_antivirus_setup.exe&product=PA&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0

AIS http://www.avast.com/download-thank-you.php?src=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.avast.com%2Fiavs5x%2Favast_internet_security_setup.exe&product=IS&page=download-software&locale=en-ww&avast=0

mike285

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 03:43:15 PM »
Well my english is not that good but i hope all you guys understand me, that´s what i got, an empty screen on my desktop since i finished the install process of avast 7 from 6, i though my computer was still loading something but un hour have passed and still any icon appeared so i had to turn off/reset the machine from the button, when i turned on again, the same, nothing on my desktop again and again, at this point i was getting really upset and then i could run my computer into safe mode and tried the recovery and it worked but avast was totally corrupted, i couldn´t uninstall it in any way, and i tried the uninstall tool from the official avast page asw cleaner i think, in safe mode(it´s very important to run it in safe mode, otherwise it doesn´t work, and then avast was totally erased from my computer, then download avast 7 free from the official page, registered again, and it´s working perfect now, i know it´s not that good from the avast team to free this version to download harming our pc´s, even if it´s free, (cuz the loss could be a lot big) and without warning about, or sending apologies to the users, but i hope they take care more into further vertions, i'm still confident to avast cuz i used it since the 4th version,  long live avast!!!

Offline kalman2

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 01:35:36 PM »
I have a similar problem, after Avast I.S. version 7 is installed the definition updates fails the second time. Then I go to repair the installation and I get the following error. "Error reading product data from" then the install location is displayed.
This is occurring on both of my computers. Version7 is buggy!

The uninstall utility works to remove the program but the issue occurs after the reinstall as stated above...

hglord100

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2012, 02:22:12 PM »
Kalman2, "buggy" was my conclusion, too. Though I basically like Avast, I'm staying away from it until I feel confident that the problems are resolved.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2012, 02:29:48 PM »
I suggest trying the R2 which you can install over the top of your existing installation, you will find the R2 in the beta thread.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2012, 03:39:56 PM »
I suggest trying the R2 which you can install over the top of your existing installation, you will find the R2 in the beta thread.

See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=94790.0 for more information, this is however a pre-release beta version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security