Author Topic: files that cannot be scanned  (Read 2657 times)

majur31

files that cannot be scanned
« on: December 27, 2012, 03:44:51 PM »
After running a scan of my computer, the report I received said that some of the files "cannot be scanned", due to an "Error - archive password protection".
It was followed by a list of some hundred files, all of them with the same "protection password" (42056).

All the files refer to the Adobe flash player installer. All of the paths are similar and differ only in the last section, for instance:

C:\Users\majur\AppData\Local\Temp\install_flashplayer11x32_mssa_au_aih_exe|>_js\language-fi.js

What are these files, and should I be worried?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: files that cannot be scanned
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 03:50:30 PM »
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
avast is just giving you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs protect there files with passwords that only the program itselfe know....usually security programs but also others like adobe...

this file is also located in a temp folder, so if you emty ypurr temp folders the warning should be gone...until next time  ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
Adobe has been password protecting its updates for a while now.
By examining 1) the reason given by avast! for not being able to scan the files, 2) the location of the files, you can get an idea of what program they relate to and if they are legit.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

majur31

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 05:21:51 PM »
files that can not be scanned are just that, it does not mean they are infected
avast is just giving you a scan error report and the reason why

many programs protect there files with passwords that only the program itselfe know....usually security programs but also others like adobe...

this file is also located in a temp folder, so if you emty ypurr temp folders the warning should be gone...until next time  ;)

Thanks! I've managed to find that there was an Adobe update in September with exactly the same path, but it doesn't let me open it.
If I erase Temp folders - which I've never done before, I keep them all :-[ - will it disable any of the programs or make their functioning difficult for any reason?