Author Topic: Rescue Disc - so much not working!  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Island_Boy

Rescue Disc - so much not working!
« on: July 14, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
Well, all I can say is that BART was a much better product than Rescue Disc.  And if it weren't for the fact that BART doesn't like Win 7 installs, I'd still be using it.

So, what doesn't work:
1) Networking: won't let me put in IP Address & Subnet mask - just keeps putting them back to 0.0.0.0  Strange that it WILL let me put in Default Gateway & Preferred / Secondary DNS.  That's a great, big fat FAIL.

2) Can't select individual folders to scan - I get that dreaded C++ runtime error.  That's also a big, fat FAIL.

3) Can't update the VPS.  If I click on the ... icon to try to select the folder, nothing happens.  If I click on the Download button to get the update from the internet, it opens up a folder list.  And even if I manage to get the stupid RD program to look at the flash drive with a current VPS file on it, it comes back with an error message saying that the file is invalid.  That's another big, fat FAIL.

I'm using RD 1.0.5

I used to like Alwil software.  But over the last 12-18 months, Alwil's game has seriously slipped.  I guess that's what comes with "success".  Three cases to back that up:
- the first 2 or 3 versions of Avast 5 were absolute crap.
- the current version 6 of Avast (Free - more than enough for home users - but also Pro) has that crappy WebRep switched on by default, Sandbox enabled by default (yeah, right, like the average computer user has even the faintest idea what that is all about), and the free version comes with Google spyware.
- Rescue Disc is crap compared to BART and is half-baked, full of bugs.

And what's up with Free customers having to register each year?  Neither Microsoft nor AVG have that needless drama / "opportunity" for people to get fleeced for the Pro version they don't need...

It's just as well that Avast is still a pretty good AV, otherwise I'd be installing / recommending the Microsoft AV instead.  If it weren't for the Avast boot-time scan (the only saving grace for Avast), I would already be ditching Avast... >:(

REDACTED

Re: Rescue Disc - so much not working!
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 07:05:28 PM »
5 years later and Avast just keeps getting worse!  It's adware and has taken down my home networking.  It's destroyed ALL of the settings and I can't get them back.  Where do I go for help!???

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Rescue Disc - so much not working!
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
Explain your problem in the correct forum.