Author Topic: Memory Test Function  (Read 4685 times)

180pilot

Memory Test Function
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:16:59 PM »
 ???I just installed free Avast after AVG made their current changes to free AV.   I'm using Vista Home Premium.
What I don't understand is the separate icon operations.  The blue ball on taskbar opens one menu and the icon on the desktop opens another one.  The one on the desktop goes into a memory check each time it opens???? Why does it need to do that?  Doesn't the AV do that on normal OS start up anyway????  And in the trouble shooting window, to disable the "memory test",..  does it just disable it for the menu started by the Desk top icon, or in the actual OS start up?????  This is not explained on program ? section.

Thank you for any explanations.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:18:40 PM by 180pilot »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Memory Test Function
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:35:02 PM »
The ' a ' icon is the main avast icon it is the interface to the on-access scanners/providers and the program settings. The ' i ' icon is the VRDB icon and only deals with VRDB operations, right click it and select Merge with main avast icon and it will be under the one roof so to speak.

Check the avast Help file for more info on the VRDB, it is under the Healing, VRDB section of the avast help file.

Don't disable the memory test it is checking to ensure there is no infection in memory before you do an on-demand scan. If a virus is found in memory the on-demand scan may not be able to deal with it and it will suggest a different scan (boot-time) to try and deal with it before it is loaded into memory.

It doesn't do anything else so doesn't effect the avast icon menu.

Why are you clicking on the desktop icon ?
That launches the Simple User Interface which is used for on-demand scans and the memory scan is an integral part as I explained earlier. avast does scan files that are opened on bot but not everything might be scanned it depends on exactly when avast is loaded.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:41:20 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

180pilot

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:05:36 PM »
I had already merged the two icons, but didn't realize right click,  would lead me to the settings control screen.  Thank you.
Still don't understand why one must endure the memory scan when you just want to make some settings changes? Not do a scan?

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:14:30 PM »
When the memory test screen comes up you can hit the "stop memory test" button if you don't want it to run.

Or, in the right click menu that David mentioned, there's an option to go into program setting.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 06:17:51 PM by marc57 »
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

180pilot

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:50:40 PM »
When the memory test screen comes up you can hit the "stop memory test" button if you don't want it to run.

Or, in the right click menu that David mentioned, there's an option to go into program setting.

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2008, 07:07:45 PM »
No problem, glad I could help.

It might be a bit of a steep learning curve, it is just different, but it is well worth the trouble. I abandoned avg a little over 4 years ago for avast and haven't looked back.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Marc57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • KISS Rules The World!!!
    • KISS Army
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2008, 07:08:04 PM »
Your Welcome, And welcome to the forums.
You Wanted the Best You Got the Best the Hottest Band in the World KISS!!!

zheke01

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »
right click the "a" icon on the notification are beside ur clock then click program settings.

then there a pop-up, uncheck the "test memory during start-up"

and that's it!