Author Topic: Do I Really Need Webrep?  (Read 3593 times)

Shunskitten

Do I Really Need Webrep?
« on: December 04, 2012, 08:44:38 PM »
Or can I get rid of it? I'm completely happy with my Avast program, I never had a problem, but I really don't see the point in the Webrep. I go to the same sites everyday, and nothing ever happens. Today I noticed it messed up, and after reading some reports, I guess it doesn't really work half the time, so my question is:

Do I really need it? Can I get rid of it without ruining my Avast program? Will Avast run the same? And if I can, how do I get rid of it? I have the current Avast program version and I run a windows 7.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Do I Really Need Webrep?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 08:49:45 PM »
The actual webrep feature isn't essential but the module is beneficial for your security as it includes the phishing protection, easiest way to disable only webrep is to right click the toolbar in your browser and untick webrep.

Dch48

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:30 PM »
In my opinion, and I'm sure some others here will disagree, you do not need WebRep at all, or anything like it. I have the full AIS suite and I don't even have the browser plugins installed. WebRep just slows things down, puts an ugly full length toolbar in IE, and really does nothing to enhance security.  As far as the anti-phishing part of the browser plugin goes, all the modern browsers have very good anti-phishing protection built in and you really don't need another process doing the same thing. Again, this is just my opinion.

Shunskitten

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 08:54:02 PM »
So I'll just be better off without it? I just don't want to get attacked with a virus or nothing, I'm paranoid about those.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
hi Shunskitten,

Open the Avast! GUI (program) and select: Additional Protection tab>Browser Protection tab>Click Uninstall.

Use Uninstall for each browser you use and you are done.  No harm will come to to you when performing these actions.

If you wish, you can have a look here at an alternative browser add-on, WOT (World Of Trust) here:  http://www.mywot.com/
This add-on will actually block access to a site with a bad or malicious reputation, just so you know.  It does this so you can choose whether or not you actually want to visit that site, by actually preventing the site from completely loading in your browser.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:10 PM »
So I'll just be better off without it? I just don't want to get attacked with a virus or nothing, I'm paranoid about those.
As I said just disable the webrep feature itself ( right click browser toolbar ) but leave the other protection ( module ) in place as it adds an extra layer of protection.

Shunskitten

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 09:31:13 PM »
Thank you Mchain! I just downloaded WOT and it's working great. I'll keep Webrep for my husbands browser (he runs Firefox).

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 09:46:35 PM »
You're welcome. 

Now you can enjoy safe(er) surfing.  As craigb says, merely disabling WebReb will not remove the phishing protection provided by this plug-in.

AdBlock Plus is good, too.  See:  http://adblockplus.org/en/ 

You know the download sites such as c|net downloads with multiple download links when you only want the one button for the one file you are looking for?  Which one is the real download button and which is fake or a malicious download link?  After install, you won't see these anymore, and also your browser will load a website much faster than before, as third-party ads are blocked automatically.

You can, also try out NoScript blocker as well.  This plug-in is really for advanced users, tho.  Some advanced users swear by this one.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 10:25:55 PM »
I think WebRep is rather useless. WOT is much more resourceful, remembers what i have already rated even after system format and you can also add coments to make the ratings more meaningful. Until WebRep becomes this good i'm not even installing it anymore.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog