Author Topic: Verizon Remote Diagnostics Must Be Uninstalled Thread  (Read 5566 times)

WarnerP42

Verizon Remote Diagnostics Must Be Uninstalled Thread
« on: December 07, 2012, 06:12:09 PM »
Hello,

I have read the discussion thread on "Verizon Remote Diagnostics Must Be Uninstalled" from back in July 2012 and want to be certain I am understanding that thread.

> From what I read there it sounded like VRD could not be uninstalled without voiding the warranty of the Verizon phone, something I do not want to do.

> I was not certain whether or not the moderator was saying that the Avast Anti-Theft module DID or did NOT really need to have VRD uninstalled in order to operate.  That was not clear from the discussion thread.

> Will Avast be releasing any updates that will address this issue?

Thanks!

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Verizon Remote Diagnostics Must Be Uninstalled Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 06:15:36 PM »
Hi,

there is no way how to address this issue. If multiple applications have the same (highest) priority, there is no way of telling which will come first when needed (although the order should be always the same unless installing/uninstalling one of those apps). The only advice in this case is to try if Anti-Theft SMS commands are working for you just fine (they work and are not visible to user). If so, you can skip the warning. If not, you will have to get rid of problematic application or switch from SMS to Internet commands using avast! Account.

Filip

WarnerP42

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
Filip,

So, if I am understanding you correctly:

1. There is no way for Avast to fix the issue because if multiple applications within the Android system have the same priority there is no way to determine which will come first?

2. This issue would apply more so to Anti-Theft SMS commands?

3. Sending Anti-Theft commands via the Internet would be more reliable than via SMS?

Are these three statements correct?

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2012, 06:37:51 PM »
1) Correct, there is no other way than by experiment. If it works as expected during the experiment, I would say there is a 99,99% chance it's going to work unless one of the app is updated/uninstalled or another one installed.

2) That is correct.

3) In case you have troubles with "incompatible tools" which you can't solve and you are not sure if the service is (or will be) working for you correctly, I would say the Internet commands are a better choice, yes.

Filip

t38rvm

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2012, 02:23:15 AM »
What are the steps to switch Avast Antitheft from SMS to Internet commands?

Thanks for your help.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2012, 02:48:34 AM »
There is no button to press or anything that that just use your avast account to send commands to the anti theft module and not send SMS commands to the anti theft module.

Avast Account site is https://my.avast.com
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,

t38rvm

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2012, 03:42:53 PM »
Thanks.  I think I've got it.

Offline patrice58

• Advanced Poster
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 05:53:23 PM »
That's great! Please come back if you need anymore help. :-)
Vista Home Premium 32 bit (user account) CISC 4.1.150349.920 + CAV (On Access) + Sandbox,V-Engine 2.7.0.37, SpywareBlaster 4.3, SAS (free), a-squared (free) MBAM (free) Finjan Secure Browsing, Windows Defender (scanner only), Zemana AntiLogger 1.9.2.206,