Author Topic: 4.8 Freezing Please Help  (Read 4117 times)

miss_jenn

4.8 Freezing Please Help
« on: May 07, 2008, 01:21:18 AM »
Ok. I've been an Avast user for a couple of years. My comp tech uninstalled all my old anti-viruses and put in Avast. She said that it was way better than the ones I'd been using. I absolutely loved it. It was fast and it didn't slow anything down. I never had a problem with it until it was recently upgraded to 4.8.

It starts fine (takes longer to load, but it's not a big deal) and it starts scanning fine for the first few minutes. I usually just put the scanner on and leave it running while I do other things around the house.

The Problem:
4.8 freezes only 1% into the scan. i had it running for a few hours one day and finally went to go see what was taking it so long, it froze, presumably hours before.
when its not freezing, its scanning at a complete snail pace. ive never waited long enough for it to get over the 1% hump. 4.7 was so fast. it would do a complete scan in an hour and a half, no problem.
Does anyone else have this problem and know how to fix it? I'm getting frustrated because my laptop hasnt been scanned for about 3 weeks.

I do have SpyBot Search & Destroy installed but it has never had conflicted with Avast before.

I'm really sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but coming into a forum like this, loaded with tech savvy people, is overwhelming to a gal who knows squat about this kind of stuff. I searched through some threads but I ended up pretty confused to be honest. I just want to know if anyone else had this problem and what I can do to rectify it.  Any help would be great. Thanks ;)

-Jenn

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: 4.8 Freezing Please Help
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 02:07:59 AM »
Try using the Quick or Thorough scan instead if the Standard sensitivity. There have been a few Topics in the forums (see http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=35277.0) where this issue of a frozen or stalled scan and it seems to work using either Quick or Thorough. Why this would work is beyond me but it seems to work.

I would suggest only using the Quick scan as the Thorough is very thorough and could take a considerable time and perhaps a bit over kill.

What is your OS ?
I don't have any issues with the standard scan with XP Pro, although I'm using a beta build at present, I didn't have any problem with frozen scans with version 4.8.1169.

Let us know if using the Quick scan works.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 02:16:55 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

miss_jenn

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 02:50:39 AM »
I've got XP 2003 ( I downgraded after vista :|  hated it!)
I didn't even realize that it was set to thorough scan. I'll try the quick scan and see how it works. Is it ok to just use the quick scan everytime?....Theres no real threats with only using that one?

Well I guess it is better than no scan, what i've been experiencing lately so disreguard that stupid question. haha.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 03:20:21 AM »
Can you try if the latest beta version solves this?
Download the updater (http://files.avast.com/files/beta/aswbeta.exe) and run it or go here for more information.
The best things in life are free.

miss_jenn

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2008, 05:03:21 AM »
I finally got it sorted out! Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 02:52:47 PM »
And what was the problem then? (or solution?)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 02:57:02 PM »
I finally got it sorted out! Thank you so much for your help.

Cheers.

No problem, glad we could help.

What was you solution to sorting it out, it could help others.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

miss_jenn

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 06:37:04 PM »
I just downloaded the updater and reset it back to quick scan. Even with only about 4gb of stuff on my laptop, it would freeze the thorough scan.

Quick fix! Gotta love those.