Author Topic: Email Server Is Blocked  (Read 2994 times)

Dalek Dude

Email Server Is Blocked
« on: February 17, 2010, 03:29:16 AM »
I have recently upgraded to Avast 5.0.418 Free and am having problems connecting to my ISP email Server.
I use Optus (in Australia) as well as Gmail.
Security settings for each is:
Gmail: SSL/TLS (995)
Optus: STARTTLS (110)

Gmail is working fine, but my email client (Thunderbird 3) can no longer see the email server at my ISP.
I read through the manual and have attempted every variation of the options in the Avast Email Scanner and Thunderbird with no success.

The only option that would allow me to collect mail was to disable Inbound email scanning on POP3/IMAP4.

Any advise as to get this working correctly would be appreciated.

Thanks.

???
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 03:31:26 AM by Dalek Dude »

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
Re: Email Server Is Blocked
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 08:11:10 AM »
In Thunderbird, disable the SSL/TLS feature for POP3/IMAP (incoming) and SMTP (outgoing).

Avast will take care of the encryption.
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

KCKD

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:47:35 PM »
I think I am having similar issue, but honestly most of this is Greek to me, so not sure.  On advice from a computer expert, I recently installed Avast (free version).  It seemed to be fine, it installs updates automatically.  For 2 days I have not been able to access my AOL email thru AOL's Desktop version.  I spent over an hour on phone with AOL tech support, they said Desktop version uses same protocol as Outlook (where as AOL 9.5 does not and that is working fine for me) I prefer AOL Desktop version. It keeps giving me "Cannot Connect to IMAP Server" error message, then "Connect Error 100160".  My husband's laptop has Norton and is able to access AOL Desktop just fine.  So is my problem because of AVAST update?  It shows I have Avast 5.0.418.  Please help.  I am not a techno guru and am totally lost.

Offline Zyndstoff (aka Steven Gail)

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • I can resist anything except temptation.
    • tex62
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
Sorry, can't help, don't know AOL Email Sys at all. (Lucky me...  ;D )
7 x64 SP1, FF 8a Aurora, TB6, 6.0.1203 Free
Free MBAM Clear

Cassy

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 09:48:02 AM »
So is my problem because of AVAST update?

KCKD,

At least that part shouldn't be too hard to find out.

First check your mail with AOL 9.5 to minimize the chance of downloading a new virus email while doing the test.  Then temporarily disable the Mail Shield component in Avast, and try to read your email headers with AOL Desktop.  If you can suddenly connect using AOL Desktop when Avast Mail Shield is disabled, then Avast is your problem.

This shouldn't be too dangerous, since even if you download an infested email which you receive between the two checks, the other Avast shields should keep the virus from becoming active.

Good luck.
C.