Author Topic: auto-install of Avast 7 freezes my computer  (Read 8888 times)

rd2012

auto-install of Avast 7 freezes my computer
« on: February 25, 2012, 03:33:43 PM »
I'm now working from a computer still using Avast 6. My other computer, which is the problem, operates on Windows 2000 Professional. It was working just fine late last night. When I booted up this morning, I was prompted to press the FINISH button to complete the installation of Avast 7, which is not something I intentionally intended to install--I assume this was automatically downloaded. Problem is, whether I press the finish button or not, my computer is frozen and I can't do anything except to press the reset button, boot up again, and the computer freezes up again. I should also mention that Malwarbytes is installed on that computer. So how do I get out of this? My computer is inoperable.

itsjustme2

Re: auto-install of Avast 7 freezes my computer
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 03:35:49 PM »
do you have service pack 4 installed on that machine?

rd2012

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 03:48:57 PM »
I don't know. How would I determine this and install it while my computer is frozen?

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 04:03:19 PM »
Can you boot into Windows Safe Mode? Then uninstall avast. Then reboot, again into Windows Safe Mode.

Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and run it under Windows Safe Mode, once for avast 7, then reboot again into Safe Mode and once again for avast 6.

Then manually search for remnants, like folders that contain the name "avast" or "alwil" (like "avast5", or "Alwil Software" for example.

Then search for "aswRdr2.sys" under C:/windows/system32/drivers and delete it (if it is still there).

Then reboot into Windows Normal Mode and install avast 7. When the installation finishes, wait for the HDD led to stop blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to the normal infrequent blinking) and reboot.

Please report back.

rd2012

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 04:13:17 PM »
Build 2195, service pack 4Free appears in safe mode. How would I download avast! if I have uninstalled it, without having my computer invaded with viruses while unprotected?

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 04:44:11 PM »
First download ;) then uninstall.

rd2012

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 03:45:05 AM »
I followed the procedures and uninstalled all versions of Avast. Then I installed Avast 7. It seemed to work up until the point where it does its first virus scan. I think the system is frozen again. I think I need to uninstall this and go back to Avast 6. But where can I find Avast 6 now?

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Whatever will be, will be.
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 05:36:39 AM »
I followed the procedures and uninstalled all versions of Avast. Then I installed Avast 7. It seemed to work up until the point where it does its first virus scan. I think the system is frozen again. I think I need to uninstall this and go back to Avast 6. But where can I find Avast 6 now?

You can download old avast from here:
http://www.oldapps.com/avast_antivirus.php
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

Avast の設定について解説しています。よろしければご覧ください。

rd2012

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2012, 08:05:30 AM »
Excellent. The latest version that is supposed to work with Windows 2000 is "setup_av_free_6.0.1270.exe". While this installed and even did the quick scan upon installation. the program isn't functioning properly. I get an error pop up window with the header "AvastSvc.exe-Entry Point Not found" and with the message: "The procedure entry point could not be located in the dynamic link library WS2_32.dll." Therefore, no virus protection. I don't know what this error means. Can it be rectified? Or do I have to search for yet an older version of Avast!"

BTW, I'm doing all this with my computer disconnected from broadband.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 08:19:07 AM by rd2012 »

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2012, 12:41:44 PM »
You can use 6.0.1367 as this version should work with Win2000.
And, did you use avast! Uninstall Utility before installing old version of avast? This problem could be remnants of v7 avast. I don't know why such error happens though.

The reinstall sequence are described by ady4um before, see quotes. You can  read "avast7" as "avast6", as you installed avast6.
Can you boot into Windows Safe Mode? Then uninstall avast. Then reboot, again into Windows Safe Mode.

Download http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and run it under Windows Safe Mode, once for avast 7, then reboot again into Safe Mode and once again for avast 6.

Then manually search for remnants, like folders that contain the name "avast" or "alwil" (like "avast5", or "Alwil Software" for example.

Then search for "aswRdr2.sys" under C:/windows/system32/drivers and delete it (if it is still there).

Then reboot into Windows Normal Mode and install avast 7. When the installation finishes, wait for the HDD led to stop blinking "like crazy" (as oppose to the normal infrequent blinking) and reboot.

Please report back.
Desktop: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-7400 3.0GHz / 32GB RAM / Avast 23 Premium Beta(Icarus) / Comodo Firewall
Notebook: Win10 Pro 22H2 64bit / Core i5-3340M 2.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast 23 Free / Windows Firewall Control
Server: Win11 Pro 23H2 64bit / Core i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 12GB RAM / Avast One 23 Essential

rd2012

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2012, 05:04:55 PM »
Actually, the version I picked is the correct one. I followed the procedures originally as outlined. I just unsintalled this version, and this time I was throrough in getting rid of the leftover avast and alwil directories. I installed 6.0.1270 again, and it ran the initial virus scan and reache3de the "setup finish" point. But I also got a pop-up error message with the heading "Avast.Svc.exe" - Entry Point Not Found", and inside the box it reads "The procedure entry point freeaddrinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library W52_32.dll."

rd2012

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2012, 05:09:21 PM »
I should add that I have remained unplugged from the Internet all this time. I am afraid to connect without virus protection. Hopefully, this has not inhibited Avast! from installing and functioning properly at the outset.

Offline NON

• Japanese User
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2012, 05:22:38 PM »
But I also got a pop-up error message with the heading "Avast.Svc.exe" - Entry Point Not Found", and inside the box it reads "The procedure entry point freeaddrinfo could not be located in the dynamic link library W52_32.dll."
I just remember this issue (freeaddrinfo) was caused by faulty VPS in the past... try updating your VPS through Control-Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast! Free Antivirus -> Update.

Past topic:
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=82702.0

Edit:
I booted my w2k environment in VM and try to update: update successful. So, current VPS does not have this problem.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 06:01:38 PM by NON »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2012, 02:21:21 AM »
The best things in life are free.

rd2012

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2012, 03:57:34 AM »
I don't know what "VM" means. I manually downloaded vpsupd.exe onto the computer I'm working from now that is connected to the Internet. I can transfer it to the problem computer with a flash drive. Do I just execute the file or is there something else I need to do. I did not understand the instructions.