Author Topic: PC Health Boost ... Legit & Safe or a Problem? (RESOLVED)  (Read 51912 times)

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
PC Health Boost ... Legit & Safe or a Problem? (RESOLVED)
« on: February 13, 2013, 07:29:29 PM »
So I made a quick stop at my sister's house to use her High Speed Internet to download a couple of Apps.

As I always do when I'm finished using their computer, I performed a CCleaner cleaning and did a Reboot since they never turn their computer off or perform any Reboots.

Well, upon finishing its Reboot, I encountered a message that it couldn't find some File.
Also, I was then surprised with this window of PC Health Boost informing me that it had found 68 Errors and that thus, the computer was in danger of getting crashes, BSODs, Etc.

I just exited out of there and the computer seemed to get back to normal.

IS this PC Health Boost a legit SAFE App?

Or is it borderline or outright Malware?
This time around I unfortunately didn't have the time to run avast, SAS and MBAM Scans on that computer like I usually do.
I think it said "Microsoft" on there, but I don't know.
Somehow it gave me the feeling of it being one of those nefarious Programs that will download and install when people click on random Buttons in the Sidebars of whatever Websites out there.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 11:06:36 PM by Chim »
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: PC Health Boost ... Legit & Safe or a Problem?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:25 PM »
do you have google....

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 07:39:36 PM »
I don't know about this particular application, but for my mind most of these are snake oil and some can even stuff up your system.

In all honesty most people have no need for these optimisation tools.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:42:22 PM »
Concur with David.. Bin it  ;D

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »
Well, since it's not MY computer, I can't really take liberty to remove programs / Apps at will.
I can only suggest this and that.

But, I don't know.  I think my brother-in-law has gotten trigger happy with installing this, that and the other Apps on that computer.  Heck, I think even my 5th grade niece has installed some Girls Games Apps.  That's how those multiple Toolbars have ended up on there. 

I sense a disaster in the making one of these days when my brother-in-law clicks on that PC Health Boost Button to FIX all the errors it finds and ends up bricking the computer.  Then I'll get a phone call.

None of my do's and don'ts that I've given them in the past seem to do much good.
They go in one ear and out the other.

About all I can do is Scan it for Malware before I insert my Flash Drive.
Dell Optiplex 780 / Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00 GHz / 4 Gig RAM / Windows XP Pro 32-Bit SP3 / Panda Dome  Free 18.07.00 / MBAM / SAS / NetZero Dial Up / Maxthon MX5 5.2.5.4000

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:32 PM »
do you have google....
Yes, but the website doesn't exactlty say, "This is not safe.  This is malware.  Stay away from this."

So, whenever I can, I try to see if anyone here on the avast Forums has more knowledge and first hand experience regarding whatever topic I'm trying to get information on.

After all, as some of y'all may remember, there was that time when I checked out the website for RestoreDisks.  It looked legit.  I ordered some System Recovery Disks and they turned out to be bogus.  Oh, they worked, but they were obviously illegal, pirated or whatever.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2013, 09:48:54 PM »
Have you tried to get him/her/them to make backups?
I make one once a week. Since my reformat all I have is 50 GB on this HDD.
It takes me a little over twenty minutes to make a backup. If something happens in between backups
all I lose is a weeks worth of data and no more. I also have a system repair disc. 
You might talk them into using adwcleaner to get rid of those toolbars.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Antivirus/Removal-Tools/AdwCleaner.shtml  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2013, 10:19:03 PM »
But, I don't know.  I think my brother-in-law has gotten trigger happy with installing this, that and the other Apps on that computer.  Heck, I think even my 5th grade niece has installed some Girls Games Apps.  That's how those multiple Toolbars have ended up on there. 
run AdwCleaner to remove browser/toolbar crap...
you find it in Essexboys guide

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2013, 10:53:52 PM »
Backups is where they're low maintenance, Para-Noid.
What I mean is, they're really not into having anything that needs to be backed up.
They're not the type to have tons of pictures, documents, music and what have you stored there on the Hard Drive.

My brother-in-law just does a lot of ebaying, Craig's Listing and whatever else.  And my niece just plays her Girls Games.  So, neither's Online activities result in anything that needs to be backed up.

If an emergency Windows Reinstall had to be done right now or if the Hard Drive crashed, there's nothing on there that would be lost that would freak them out.  I remember some years back giving them the heads up that they should get a Flash Drive so that they could have a Backup copy of whatever they didn't want to lose.  They told me they don't have anything to backup.

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2013, 11:05:48 PM »
run AdwCleaner to remove browser/toolbar crap...
you find it in Essexboys guide
Getting that computer back under control will take a session where I have more time to spend there.
So far my last 3 or so times that I've stopped by there to download some Apps / avast Updates, Etc., have been very brief.  Just get in there and get out.  Heck, I really haven't even been able to get everything that I needed on those occasions because I'd run out of time.

One day I'll need to really sit down and sort out what all they have installed by now.
Then I'll have to see what needs to go.  I just know it's gotten very messy.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: PC Health Boost ... Legit & Safe or a Problem? (RESOLVED)
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2013, 11:31:37 PM »
Get them to run the scans and post the logs here ;D

Offline Chim

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 02:24:53 AM »
At the rate they're going, I have a feeling I'll eventually need your help to bring it back from the brink of FUBAR status.

And since my brother-in-law bought that computer from someone off of Craig's List, it of course did NOT come with a Windows XP Reinstall CD or System Recovery Disks.  If they wind up with some nasty malware of the type that necessitates a Windows Reinstall to really clear things up ... not even an "I warned you this would happen" will fix the problem.  ;D

Well, I do have the supposed Macrium Reflect System Restore / Clone File for their computer on my Flash Drive.  But, as per David, that's NOT necessarily guaranteed to work because it's from a Flash Drive.  I guess I would try that if and when the time came.  If it didn't work, then I'd tell them they can either buy a Windows CD or another computer.

Erin Walsh

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 06:52:59 PM »
do you have google....
Yes, but the website doesn't exactlty say, "This is not safe.  This is malware.  Stay away from this."

So, whenever I can, I try to see if anyone here on the avast Forums has more knowledge and first hand experience regarding whatever topic I'm trying to get information on.

After all, as some of y'all may remember, there was that time when I checked out the website for RestoreDisks.  It looked legit.  I ordered some System Recovery Disks and they turned out to be bogus.  Oh, they worked, but they were obviously illegal, pirated or whatever.

Hi Chim

PC HealthBoost is scanned daily by McAfee, Norton, and StoptheHacker. If you ask me, the StopTheHacker badge is really good because it does a lot more than just monitor for malware. This site continually checks out.

It also checks out with the Microsoft Pinpoint Silver Membership.

They have a support sight where you may start a ticket: support.boostsoftware.com

or call them for uninstallation:

General Support: (857) 241-3662

However, this is a legitimate software that does as it claims.

Erin

dmb49ers

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2013, 09:13:09 PM »
My dad bought this product from the site http://www.pchealthboosting.org and he told me it works, and it works well

If you had a problem with it, maybe the real problem is that your computer has an issue that this program just can't fix (and was not designed to fix)

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2013, 09:23:14 PM »
My dad bought this product from the site http://www.pchealthboosting.org and he told me it works, and it works well

If you had a problem with it, maybe the real problem is that your computer has an issue that this program just can't fix (and was not designed to fix)
If you had read the thread correctly you would see there was no problem with the product relating to the system, the question about the product is in the topic title and as answered these programs are unnecessary ( snake oil )

CCleaner and a system defrag will give the same results or better than any of these optimisation programs.