Author Topic: Avast cannot connect to server  (Read 53597 times)

Atani

Re: Avast cannot connect to server
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2010, 12:49:42 AM »
I think it would be preferred if you guys didn't bump 2 year old topics.
I'm not even certain how you came across this thread, considering how old it is.

SafeSurf

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2010, 10:56:40 AM »
Hello apex809 and welcome to the forum.  :)

It would have been preferable if you started your own thread, as was pointed out, rather than add to a 2-year old thread because yours got lost here.

Anyway, lets help you out.  I need to get some information from you:

1.   What is your OS, 32 or 64-bit?
2.   What version of Avast did you install?  5.0.677? 
3.   What product of Avast did you install?  Free, Pro, AIS?
4.   What other security software do you currently have or did you have in the past on this machine including antivirus (AV), firewall (FW), and other security programs?  If they were in the past, how did you remove them (the vendor's uninstaller's tool or another way)?
5.    Is your FW blocking anything related to Avast?
6.    How do you connect to the Internet normally?  Proxy, Broadband/DSL, other way?

If you open the Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > Details > Update Parameters...do you have anything checked off under these settings ("I only connect to the Internet using a dial up modem" or " My computer is permanently connected to the Internet")?  What is checked if anything?

If you open the Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > Proxy Settings > do you have anything checked off here ("Direct connection/no proxy" or is "Auto Detect/Use IE Settings")?  What is checked if anything?

Did you change any other settings?

daryl

« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2011, 10:16:39 AM »
Hi

Sorry to bump this but i had a similar problem and eventually solved it- I am posting my solution here given that this is the first listed by google.

I was presented with an XP pc that could get emails but couldn't connect to the internet.

I ran a whole slew of programs such as malware antibytes (MBAM.exe).

They deleted a whole load of things but i still had no IE access.

I deselected the proxy settings in IE but still no change.

I ran WINSOCKXPFIX- now IE was working.

I installed Avast but it could not connect to the servers to update.

I ran MBAM again and it found a malicious proxy setting in the registry- I deleted it but Avast would still not update so I opened Avast.
Then I opened Settings>Updates>proxy settings and then selected NO PROXY (DIRECT CONNECTION)

NOW IT UPDATES!!!!

It wasn't a problem with Avast but rather an out of date reference to a bad proxy hijack.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2011, 04:01:20 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, glad that it is now working correctly.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

dusty1usa

« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2011, 04:47:48 AM »
Hi

Sorry to bump this but i had a similar problem and eventually solved it- I am posting my solution here given that this is the first listed by google.

I was presented with an XP pc that could get emails but couldn't connect to the internet.

I ran a whole slew of programs such as malware antibytes (MBAM.exe).

They deleted a whole load of things but i still had no IE access.

I deselected the proxy settings in IE but still no change.

I ran WINSOCKXPFIX- now IE was working.

I installed Avast but it could not connect to the servers to update.

I ran MBAM again and it found a malicious proxy setting in the registry- I deleted it but Avast would still not update so I opened Avast.
Then I opened Settings>Updates>proxy settings and then selected NO PROXY (DIRECT CONNECTION)

NOW IT UPDATES!!!!

It wasn't a problem with Avast but rather an out of date reference to a bad proxy hijack.

Just ran into this problem on a customer's computer. The Direct Connection setting change was the answer on this one too. Thanks for the post.

SafeSurf

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »
The settings depends on how the user connects to the Internet:

Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use DSL, you may want to set #2 above to "My computer is permanently connected to the Internet."
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Some people have found that using "Direct connection / No Proxy" have worked for them.
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

Either way, I'm glad things worked out for both of you.

chapmadw

« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »

I'm glad that someone bumped it.  I had exactly the same problem, and the advice fixed it.

rweiner

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2012, 01:31:49 AM »
After years using Avast! I just had the same problem.  I checked my firewall (PC Tools) and it looked like all the Avast! executables had the right permissions.  I tried adding various Avast! servers to the permission list but still no luck.  I finally found that there was a second entry for Avast! setup down at the bottom of the applications list, out of alpha order.  I enabled that one and it started working.  Weird. This fix may only apply to PC Tools, but it's worth making sure your firewall isn't doing something strange.