Author Topic: Avast causing access denied error  (Read 12353 times)

RuReady

Avast causing access denied error
« on: August 04, 2010, 08:52:21 PM »
For several months now I have been dealing with the issue of access is denied error messages when attempting to change the start-up items in msconfig. Until recently I just put off locating the offending software. Today, however, I decided to tackle the issue and after a number of uninstalls, restarts and reinstalls I have isolated the error to Avast 5.0 free version. I am running win xp sp3. I uninstalled and reinstalled avast several times to ensure this was the cause. Thanks in advance!!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast causing access denied error
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 09:28:07 PM »
How did you isolate it as avast shouldn't deny access to anything other than it own files if something is trying to access them for writing, etc.

Was there an actual error displayed and if so please state the full error ?

So if you were trying to change an avast startup entry in msconfig (why), then the avast self-defence module would stop you from doing that.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 09:59:48 PM »
Which is your Windows? Are you running at an admin account?
The best things in life are free.

RuReady

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 05:02:58 AM »
I am running windows xp pro sp3. The error is;

"An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes.

My account has Admin privileges. I know it is Avast since as I stated before I uninstalled and reinstalled it several times to ensure it was the cause. Each time I uninstalled I did not receive the error. But, as soon as I reinstalled it would appear again. It was not Avast that I was attempting to stop. It was other services which I do not need running. Thanks again.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2010, 12:40:41 AM by RuReady »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 05:13:13 AM »
Sorry but that isn't conclusive as if this is a conflict which is possible also, then moving one part of a conflict will break the conflict, but it won't be able to say exactly what was the cause.

avast scans and alerts to infection but it doesn't block and certainly doesn't generate access denied errors for anything other than its own files, registry entries and services, etc.

So there has to be something else in the mix, what that is, is going to be the difficult part and you have to say exactly what services you were trying to change, because the avast self-defence module doesn't suffix the access denied message with "You may need to log on using an Administrator account to make the specified changes." As Administrator or not, it wouldn't let you change avast related services (and as you say they weren't avast services, but that is the one highlighted in your image).
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 05:18:01 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

RuReady

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2010, 05:19:32 AM »
Ok I searched event viewer and located this. Perhaps this will help..

Event Type:   Error
Event Source:   Service Control Manager
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   7006
Date:      8/4/2010
Time:      10:57:18 PM
User:      N/A
Computer:   -08H56EM1AA
Description:
The ScRegSetValueExW call failed for Start with the following error:
Access is denied.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2010, 02:28:39 PM »
If you're trying to change the avast services status/configurations, you'll be blocked by avast self defense module.
Although you could disable the self defense, the major question is, why do you need to change avast services startup properties?

YoKenny

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 02:46:26 PM »
The question I would ask is why is msconfig being used as a start-up manager ???

Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?
http://www.blackviper.com/AskBV/XP25.htm

RuReady

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
If you're trying to change the avast services status/configurations, you'll be blocked by avast self defense module.
Although you could disable the self defense, the major question is, why do you need to change avast services startup properties?

I don't think you are reading my post. You first asked me what version of windows I am running but it is clearly stated in my initial post that I am running Win Xp pro. You then now ask if I am attempting to stop Avast even though I specifically stated in my second post that it is NOT Avast services I am attempting to stop.

The question I would ask is why is msconfig being used as a start-up manager

Why wouldn't I use them? That is what msconfig is for. That is why the little boxes to place or remove check marks are there so you can add or remove an item from Services or the start-up menu. I am aware of third party applications such as Black Viper and I choose not to use them.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 06:06:54 PM by RuReady »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »
I don't think you are reading my post. You first asked me what version of windows I am running but it is clearly stated in my initial post that I am running Win Xp pro.
Sorry, missed that.

You then now ask if I am attempting to stop Avast even though I specifically stated in my second post that it is NOT Avast services I am attempting to stop.
Which services are you trying to stop?
Why would be avast the error? I just can't see the correlation besides the fact of you can do it without avast.
Any other security programs that could interfere? Antivirus? Firewall?

RuReady

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 12:36:30 AM »
Avast is the only software I am using which has real time protection. I have Malwarebytes installed but it is on demand. I am using windows firewall. I have disabled it to see if the problem still exist and it does. The only services I have running which are not windows are weather bug and my printer. I have uninstalled each of those at separate times and the problem remains. The correlation between uninstalling Avast and the problem ending is a pretty strong correlation to me. I have seen in my searches where Kapersky and McAfee also has been known to cause this behavior as well as a specific Hp printer driver which I do not have. The problem is the event id code "7006" is generic and therefore there is not a whole lot of information about a specific issue. It appears to me from the event viewer log something is trying to write to the registry but is unable to change the value. I just do not know what it is and why Avast, or any other software for that matter would have an effect. Thanks for the help.

YoKenny

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 02:17:52 AM »
The best Startup manager is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel
http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

WinPatrol has a very good Startup manager
Detect and Review New Auto-Startup Programs
http://www.winpatrol.com/compare.html

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 03:59:20 AM »
Sorry to insist...

Which services are you trying to stop?

RuReady

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 04:30:46 AM »
No problem. I am attempting to stop Windows Card Service and My Lexmark Connection helper (It's basically nothing more than a means of obtaining information by Lexmark). I as stated before, although I receive the access denied error it actually does allow me to make the changes. This is very strange.

The best Startup manager is Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel  WinPatrol has a very good Startup manager
Thanks for the suggestions. However, I would like to find what is causing this issue.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2010, 04:34:14 AM »
RuReady, I'll need to pass it. Beyond my knowledge. Sorry.