Author Topic: Anti-theft PIN Always Requested When Opening avast! Mobile Security App  (Read 5144 times)

jezzabart

Hi,

I've recently installed avast! Mobile Security and avast! Anti-Theft on a rooted Samsung Galaxy S3 running Android 4.1.1.  Thank you for the excellent User Guide.  It was extremely helpful in setting up the application.

I have one question that I cannot find an answer to.  According to the User Guide, the Anti-theft app is completely hidden and can only be activated by calling the PIN.  However, when I open the avast! Mobile Security app, it immediately requests my PIN and then displays a menu that includes the Anti-theft option.  If I call the PIN, it takes me straight to the Anti-theft main screen.

Doesn't the PIN request tell a thief that Anti-theft is installed?

binhvirile

Re: Anti-theft PIN Always Requested When Opening avast! Mobile Security App
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 10:22:10 AM »
Hi jezzabart,

Welcome to avast! Forum  ;),

Everything in your AMS is working fine. When you want go to the main console of AMS, it requires your PIN. It means, if PIN number is not typed correctly, the access to AMS's main console will be denied and also, you can not access to Anti-Theft menu (even you can not see Anti-Theft option in AMS main console).

Regards,
Binh

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 10:23:01 AM »
Hi,

short answer? No, not really.

Now the long answer. After setting up Anti-Theft, PIN protection is enabled in Mobile Security as well exactly because of the Anti-Theft link on Mobile Security dashboard. However, you can disable PIN protection in Mobile Security alone, which would also mean the thief can access the dashboard and tap on Anti-Theft to figure out if it's installed, so I wouldn't do that. But on the other hand, you can also enable PIN protection in Mobile Security if you don't have Anti-Theft installed (for a various reasons, for example you don't want people to mess with your firewall or SMS/Call filter settings). This means that the thief can't tell whether the Anti-Theft is installed or not just by seeing the PIN dialog in Mobile Security.

Filip
« Last Edit: January 18, 2013, 10:36:42 AM by Filip Havlicek »

binhvirile

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2013, 10:33:55 AM »
Hi,

short answer? No, not really.

Now the long answer. After setting up Anti-Theft, PIN protection is enabled in Mobile Security as well exactly because of the Anti-Theft link on Mobile Security dashboard. However, you can disable PIN protection in Mobile Security alone, which would also mean the thief can access the dashboard and tap on Anti-Theft to figure out if it's installed, so I wouldn't do that. But on the other hand, you can also enable PIN protection in Mobile Security if you don't have Anti-Theft installed (for a various reason, for example you don't want people to mess with your firewall or SMS/Call filter settings). This means that the thief can't tell whether the Anti-Theft is installed or not just by seeing the PIN dialog in Mobile Security.

Filip

Thank Filip  ;)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2013, 10:37:10 AM »
Yeah, I had it already written when you posted so I just sent it anyway :)

Filip

jezzabart

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2013, 11:18:52 AM »
Thanks to both of you, I understand now.  I will leave my settings as they are.

binhvirile

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
Yeah, I had it already written when you posted so I just sent it anyway :)

Filip

Yup, I see  ;D. Thank for adding more details  8).

Many greetings,
Binh

Thanks to both of you, I understand now.  I will leave my settings as they are.

You're welcome. If you have any problem, feel free to post it in our forum  :).

Regards,
Binh