Author Topic: How to temporarily disable or stop Avast  (Read 61268 times)

Quicksilver

How to temporarily disable or stop Avast
« on: June 13, 2010, 07:48:45 PM »
I am new to the latest free version of Avast Antivirus and I realise that I am probably being stupid but I can't see any way to temporarily disable or stop Avast from running.
I have just got a new computer and have to create a set of Recovery Discs and the instructions say to close all running software and to disconnect from the Internet before commencing this operation. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

DavidCo

Re: How to temporarily disable or stop Avast
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2010, 07:54:59 PM »
Open Avast, go to 'Real Time Shields', select the modules one by one & choose STOP
You will get an option as to the length of time

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2010, 07:55:24 PM »
Personally I don't see the need to do this if the recovery disk creation isn't doing anything suspicious or malicious then there really shouldn't be any issue.

The major problem with your question is you don't say what version of avast you are using, 4.8 or 5.0 as the process is different for the different interfaces ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Quicksilver

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2010, 08:09:24 PM »
I am using Version 5. Sorry for not making that clear in my original post.

DavidCo

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »
@DavidR

Avast writes to disc when scanning though, so it will depend on the recovery software.
Been there & got bitten on the bum :(
Not with Avast tho'

Rick F

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2010, 08:19:51 PM »
In ver. 5 it's pretty easy to suspend avast! for awhile.  I do this when scanning my HD with other software... eg. MalwareBytes.  If you 'right-click' on avast icon in system tray, then click on 'avast shield control' you can suspend avast for 10 minutes, 1 hour, or until you reboot. (permanently too but I wouldn't recommend that).

Quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2010, 08:58:25 PM »
Thank you so much Rick F - I can see clearly now how to suspend Avast for a while. Many thanks to all who took the time to help me out with this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »
@DavidR
Avast writes to disc when scanning though, so it will depend on the recovery software.
Been there & got bitten on the bum :(
Not with Avast tho'

Yes it does, but only to the _avast5_ folder for unpacked archives, its logs and the persistent cache.

In the case Quicksilver mentions, I suspect these are the OS Recovery Disks he is talking about, which shouldn't be and these I doubt would be concerned with those areas. I don't know if your mention of recovery software (hard disk imaging?) is in the same context "I have just got a new computer and have to create a set of Recovery Discs."

Though we don't know for sure exactly what is being attempted.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DavidCo

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 10:45:18 PM »
Off topic I know, but where is the log for emails stored
I found mail shield log but it does not show the 'last mail scanned' etc

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
That is it and by default it will only record detections, you would have to change the report settings for all emails to be recorded, but that could grow that file very quickly.

Mail Shield, Expert Settings, Report file, see image (note I keep my log files in a different location to the default).

ziucqea

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 04:41:13 AM »
I am new to the latest free version of Avast Antivirus and I realise that I am probably being stupid but I can't see any way to temporarily disable or stop Avast from running.
I have just got a new computer and have to create a set of Recovery Discs and the instructions say to close all running software and to disconnect from the Internet before commencing this operation. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Press right button on its icon on the right buttom; move to 'Avast shield control', then you can disable it temporarily or permanently

SafeSurf

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:54 AM »
@ ziucqea,

I would suggest you read the entire thread prior to posting since the OP's (Original Poster) question was answered in Posts # 2 - 4 above, then there was discussion with other posters.

I know you are new to forums, but perhaps it would be helpful for you to browse a little to help learn like a lot of us did when we first started out.  There is also a section in avast for individual countries on the forum > Home > International.  You might meet some new friends as well  :)  But please come and visit us here as well.

ziucqea

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2010, 08:46:15 AM »
@ ziucqea,

I would suggest you read the entire thread prior to posting since the OP's (Original Poster) question was answered in Posts # 2 - 4 above, then there was discussion with other posters.

I know you are new to forums, but perhaps it would be helpful for you to browse a little to help learn like a lot of us did when we first started out.  There is also a section in avast for individual countries on the forum > Home > International.  You might meet some new friends as well  :)  But please come and visit us here as well.
Ah, OK, but don't you think for 'Temporarily disable shields', the way I offered is much easier?

SafeSurf

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2010, 08:59:53 AM »
Easier isn't always the best answer.  First you need to know what build of avast the OP is using because each build is different (4.0 vs. 5.0).

Then the answer was posted in my post above with the #'d post of who answered the OP's question.  Perhaps the OP needed to disable the shields until boot up?  "Temporarily" disabling the shields would not have worked for the OP if he/she needed them until boot up. 

Until you have all the information from the OP, you cannot answer the question in a quick manner.  I hope this answers your question.  Thank you.