Author Topic: help! Avast Internet Security trial expired, no internet connection  (Read 42963 times)

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
Re: help! Avast Internet Security trial expired, no internet connection
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2012, 11:11:07 PM »
Well it's certainly connected- checked on the bbc news (I don't have active anti virus, so I've only checked here), but I certainly can't find that connection.

And if I try to set up a new connection like this it still says 'windows did not detect any networking hardware'

I have noticed that my device manager page/folder is also totally blank/empty. (my computer> properties> device manager).  This seems strange to me.  Is it so?
For the empty device manager you could try the following:
http://redfireworkz.blogspot.com/2010/10/device-manager-empty-or-blank.html
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

edders

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2012, 10:44:48 AM »
Thanks ady4um

Can you attach please a screenshot of the "Network Connections" Window (where the connections should be displayed)?
File attached.  I've also brought up the notification window so that you can see the networks exist, but as you can see the folder is empty.

This is after system restore to when AIS was installed. After AIS uninstallation the notification window still shows the networks, but says not connected in the upper portion.  The lower portion (with the networks and bars) looks like it is connected (ie offers to disconnect), but says limited connectivity.  So it seems the hardware is still communicating with Windows on some level at least, even if Windows can not detect it when I try to set up a new network connection.

If it's relevant- when uninstalling AIS the connection remains open until the system is restarted.  But I guess that this just reflects the resetting of whatever settings caused this issue.

I suppose the question is what could AIS uninstall affect that disrupts Windows recognition of networking hardware and 'my devices'? Folk have said nothing....  drivers are not touched, but this issue wasn't present before AIS at all.....????

Would I be correct to hope that once the networking hardware is recognised, that the network connection icons might reappear?

Also it doesn't help that I don't have a non corrupted system restore point which shows my networking hardware and devices- the earlier one disappeared overnight and I can't remember if I had tried it previously.

Thanks bob3160, I will go through this next before I try this clean boot method, which sounds very slow.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 10:56:16 AM by edders »

ady4um

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2012, 04:33:13 PM »
If you click on "Open Network and Sharing Center", does it open? Can you post a screenshot of the Network and Sharing Center? Please include the upper part with the connections and the lower part with the Windows settings for connections. If you can't in one screenshot, take 2 and attach them both please.

In addition, in your control panel, do you have any other applet (window, option, dialog...) for unwired connections (wi-fi, bluetooth and so on)?

edders

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2012, 11:05:15 PM »
Thanks ady4um,

Screen shot of my network and sharing centre is attached. Not sure if there are further settings I should reveal for you there?  I can't find any.  After uninstalling Avast it shows a red cross in the upper part instead of my ISP, and doesn't show a connection in the section below.  

In my Control Panel I can't see any applet as you describe- just the network and internet option.

Thanks bob3160, I will go through this next before I try this clean boot method, which sounds very slow.
This was not successful.  Enum settings are already as described.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 11:19:22 PM by edders »

ady4um

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2012, 07:46:21 AM »
So you have some "PlusWireless (Home Network)" connection.

In such situation, you have over the left panel an option called "Manage wireless networks". You should find the "PlusWireless" connection there. Do you see it there? Can you see / review its settings?

edders

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2012, 07:47:31 PM »
thanks ady4um,

I can enter the 'manage wireless networks' page, but can not access any properties of the connections.  Adaptor properties button is dead.  Right click on a network >properties displays an 'error saving wireless profile' message.

If I try to set up a new connection it says successfully added, yet if investigate the settings I get the same error message (screenshot attached).

ady4um

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2012, 08:04:46 PM »
So, if I understand correctly, you are unable to create a new *working* wireless network connection?

Just for more information, are you using a Windows Account with administrative privileges? (The Windows user account, whether administrator or not, should NOT be a reason for the properties to fail. This question is only relevant for potential next steps).

This seems to be some deeper issue (like drivers corruption and registry corruption).

Please report back.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2012, 09:10:17 PM »
Just having a thunk on this... It appears that windows is not recognising the data input for the new wireless connections, this is the area which I will research first

edders

« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:55 PM »
you are unable to create a new *working* wireless network connection?
This would seem to be the case.  Although I feel I'm not entering very much info when I manually set up this connection though-

Network Name
Security Type
Encryption Type
Security Key

I thought I was looking for more detailed connection settings than this (I haven't needed to manually connect before), so maybe I haven't completed the set up?  Anyway, I click next after setting the above information, and virtually instantly the window says successfully added (maybe too quickly).  But beyond that it does not seem functional and I can not access any further settings.

To confirm, I am the administrator account (the only user account).  

edit: Thanks for joining in essexboy

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #39 on: January 12, 2012, 09:29:49 PM »
You are running windows 7 is that correct ?

If so right click the network icon on the task bar and select troubleshoot

edders

« Reply #40 on: January 12, 2012, 11:23:27 PM »
Yes essexboy, Window 7 Starter.

Troubleshooting says it tested the internet connection and it works.  I clicked 'I'm having a different problem' and chose the 'use specific network adaptor' option. 

Now is when I start to think that I've had too long a day-  I've got two different troubleshooting reports.  The first time I ran the trouble shooter it identified a 'Problem with the wireless adaptor or access point'.  I have the troubleshooting log saved, but unfortunately not the 'network diagnostics log' that it refers to.  Let me know if you'd like to see it.

I ran the troubleshooter again whilst exploring the options.  This time 'no issues detected'.  ???  Nor on subsequent attempts.

Looking through that second report there seems to be a problem with the power saving setting on my access point, which should be changed to medium, but I doubt this is the source of my problems. 

It's been a long day for me and I might have done something different the first time I ran the troubleshooter, so I'll try it again in the morning and see which of us is consistent (I'd rather it did find a problem!)

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #41 on: January 12, 2012, 11:29:54 PM »
Aye have a good nights kip as things will make more sense then  ;D

edders

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2012, 05:05:30 PM »
OK, so after a weekends rest away from the frustration I can safely say that the troubleshooter can not identify the problem, even after many attempts.  I'm not sure what the false positive was last week as I have been unable to replicate it.

Incidentally my ISP has just sent me an email offering me some new connection management software.  This: http://www.plus.net/support/assist/help.shtml?WT.mc_id=e_ast_201112_01&link=faq

It did cross my mind to try  and install this to see if it could somehow identify my internet connections/properties/settings, and may be even solve the problem and preserve them to let me reconnect after I uninstall AIS.  

Is this just wishful thinking?  It sounds like the kind of thing an amateur might do, to their later dismay as it causes far more problems.  Should I forget it for the minute?

I've no idea what to try next.  Advice gratefully received.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 05:45:18 PM by edders »

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2012, 08:14:02 PM »
Lets see what Farbar has to say prior to installing the new software

run farbar service scanner

Tick "Internet services" and "Windows Firewall" options.
Press "Scan".
It will create a log (FSS.txt) in the same directory the tool is run.

Please copy and paste the log to your reply.

edders

« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2012, 10:21:33 PM »
Thanks essexboy,

is this the right log info?  Nothing interesting here?

Farbar Service Scanner
Ran by Dan (administrator) on 16-01-2012 at 21:15:32
Microsoft Windows 7 Starter  Service Pack 1 (X86)
Boot Mode: Normal

Internet Services:
============

Connection Status:
==============
Localhost is accessible.
LAN connected.
Google IP is accessible.
Yahoo IP is accessible.

Windows Firewall:
=============

Firewall Disabled Policy: