Author Topic: Help! Can't download or run any anti-virus software.  (Read 12327 times)

dfa987

Help! Can't download or run any anti-virus software.
« on: April 12, 2004, 09:57:57 PM »
My hubby's computer has got some sort of virus or hijacker that won't allow me to go to any anti-virus sites, download any anti-virus software or even if I try it from CD as it won't finish the loading process.  Doesn't matter what kind of software or who the maker is.

I've used spybot, adaware, cwsshredder, hijack this and there's nothing showing up - so I'm assuming it's a virus.  Whatever it is, it's very smart.  If anybody's got any suggestions I would be very thankful.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:Help! Can't download or run any anti-virus software.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 10:02:04 PM »
Try to start/install the AV-Software in save mode and post your log(if you want)
MfG Ralf

dfa987

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2004, 11:06:18 PM »
First, thank you for replying.  Second... I was able to load avast in safe mode.  I did a scan in safe mode and it didn't come up with anything.  I've subsequently tried to run it normally and it boots down.  

The way this thing works is that whenever you try to use any anti-virus programs or go to any anti-virus sites, including anti-spyware sites or any forums that deal with spyware or viruses, the computer shuts down.  And when it shuts down, it often shuts down 3 times before a full load.

I did an ad-aware scan in safe mode and it gave me something about a media player, but it shut down before I could read it. :-(

whocares

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2004, 01:47:45 AM »
Hi,
what win do you have ?
if Win9x/ME, try Boot-Disk from Win and F-Prot Boot-Disks..
also run Spybot in safemode and cwshredder
see Search for Links/Details
 ;)

dfa987

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2004, 06:37:33 AM »
 >:(  Aarggggh.  I did what you suggested and I've tried just about everything and his computer is still snagged by either a virus/hijacker/trojan/hacker.  I finally got Avast to work in safe mode and found 2 viruses: "Trojano-057" and "Istdnldr-B" and it appears to have been fixed as they no longer show up.  However, the machine still cannot go to any sites that have anything to do with anti-virus, anti-spyware, etc sites.  It's making me crazy trying to figure this out.  I don't even know how to google my question.  

Max M.Wachtel III

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2004, 07:43:50 AM »
sounds like My Doom check out this site:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/antivirus/mydoom.asp
It has a check tool and a removal tool
if you can't get to that site try this one- it is the removal tool:
http://information.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=c14bfbe4-3d50-464d-a26c-9c287f8a08c5&displaylang=en
post back-max

dfa987

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2004, 05:27:31 PM »
Unfortunately, the MyDoom program didn't give any results.  I ran it from a floppy.  Is it possible there is some new form of MyDoom?

My tech guy (who's too busy to help me) says that he has 4 other clients who are having the same problem.  Could be unrelated, but might not be. :(

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2004, 05:34:16 PM »
Please post a Hijackthis log: http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
MfG Ralf

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2004, 05:39:35 PM »
You can try the avast! Virus Cleaner, if it's MyDoom (though there are many other possibilities).

For example, some Yaha variants "filter" the executable files being started... and won't allow much to pass through.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 05:40:57 PM by igor »

dfa987

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2004, 06:13:33 PM »
Thanks I posted at TomCoyote.  Crossing fingers...

jonzsie

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2004, 04:41:51 AM »
I found a virus awhile ago on my start up program. It had stopped me going to any sites, updating my virus program and downloads like windows and virus program. When I unchecked the box it worked fine.

dfa987

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 05:30:30 AM »
What check box?  Now you've really got me curious.

jonzsie

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2004, 01:20:59 PM »
Sorry I missed your post have been away. I had msblast.exe and it was on the start up menu in the registry. I thought I had got rid of it but it was still there.  I clicked on start then run and typed in msconfig/ok/start-up and that's where it was running on start-up so I unchecked the box then clicked ok and everything started downloading again. It was still there for awhile I couldn't get rid of but now it's gone.

impozzo75

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2004, 03:56:19 PM »
goto C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc then open thenfile "hosts" with notepad.

delete all line except a line like:

127.0.0.0   localhost

THE DELETED ENTRIES WERE NOT ALLOWING YOU TO ACCESSS ANTIVIRUS WEBSITES

whocares

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2004, 04:03:14 PM »
This could be it.. but why the rebooting ??

P.S.:
a) it's 127.0.0.1
b) depending on OS, this file could be located somewhere else, or called lmhost(s) ;)