Author Topic: Avast free for Windows 8.1 has less Shields than previous version  (Read 2752 times)

xenon2000

I was using the latest Avast before I did the Windows 8.1 Pro update and it completely wiped out Avast. Not installed and not on my drive after 8.1 was done. So I re-downloaded Avast to re-install it.

But now I wondering what is going on as the new download from today, only has 3 shields listed on the left column during a custom install. The previous had 8.

Here are the Sheilds that Avast had with Windows 8: (Avast was set to auto update program and defs)
File
Web
Mail
p2p
im
network
script
behavior

Now with the Avast installer downloaded today to install in Windows 8.1, I only see these Shields listed:
File
Web
Mail

So it appears to be missing 5 of the 8 previous shields. I really don't like that it is missing the Network and Script shields. But I really wish it wasn't missing any of the Shields. So I haven't re-installed Avast yet. Trying to learn what is going on.

Why are their only 3 shields in the latest downloaded Avast installer? Are there incompatibilities with some shields when used with Windows 8.1?

Offline Alikhan

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast free for Windows 8.1 has less Shields than previous version
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »
I replied to your previous post.

From the FAQ : http://www.avast.com/faq.php

The number of real-time shields in avast! 2014 is reduced by merging some of them to another. The P2P Shield, IM Shield and Behavior Shield are now a part of the File System Shield, while the Network Shield with Script Shield are a part of the Web Shield.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit • Avast Free (latest stable version) •  Malwarebytes 4 Premium (On-Demand) • Windows Firewall Control • Google Chrome • LastPass • CCleaner • O&O ShutUp10 •

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:06 PM »
you find the answers in the FAQ section.    http://www.avast.com/en-us/faq.php?article=AVKB89

xenon2000

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 11:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the update. I will go ahead and re-install Avast on Windows 8.1 now. Thanks again. I didn't know what to search for, so I didn't even think to check the FAQ for this. Thanks.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2013, 03:52:52 AM »
The number of the shields were reduced.
The functionality and the protection are the same (or higher).
The best things in life are free.