Author Topic: avast! password windows standard user problem  (Read 4140 times)

172_skyhawk

avast! password windows standard user problem
« on: January 18, 2013, 10:03:36 AM »
Someone has probably asked this before, but I don’t feel like browsing 850 pages of topics, and I suck a searching.
I have Windows 7 Ultimate x64 and avast! Free antivirus. (Latest automatic update).
My brother uses my computer from time to time. I have created a user account for him. It’s a standard user (not administrator). I have set up parental controls, and limiting program use. Meaning he is only allowed to use specific programs. Obviously avast have to run to avid him filling my computer with crap, but I don’t want him to be able to change (or see) any settings. On my administrator account I have set up avast with a password on everything. The problem is that when I change his account type to administrator, the password work, but when I change it back to standard user and applies parental controls, the password disappears.
And if I try to configure a password on avast on his account, avast “forget” the password settings when I click OK, and close avast.

How do I fix this issue?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: avast! password windows standard user problem
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2013, 07:00:42 PM »
avast! does not allow an user profile of settings.
But, as far I know, the password set into the admin account should block the common user opening...
Hope some of the programmers could jump here to help.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2013, 07:59:20 PM »
When I first installed Avast 5, I put in a password.  That single password is applicable in all Windows User accounts across the machine.  I don't block any user access to "General program access" or "Update control".  For any other part of Avast, the password must be entered.  This prevents a user disabling Avast or making any changes to the Shields, etc.  Just don't give out the password.
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ThisPlaceHere

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 03:24:20 PM »
I just discovered that even though there is a password set, any user can stop and change anything without entering a password. Just upgraded to Ver 8 last week. Password was working fine before then. Problem with the automatic upgrade?

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 03:32:42 PM »
I just discovered that even though there is a password set, any user can stop and change anything without entering a password. Just upgraded to Ver 8 last week. Password was working fine before then. Problem with the automatic upgrade?

Password is still needed for the things I block.  I updated from AIS 7 to AIS 8 via the AvastUI, and all my settings survived.  Add a new Avast password, and see if it works.  Did your other Avast settings survive the update?  You could remove the password and restart Windows.
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

ThisPlaceHere

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2013, 04:15:52 PM »
This solution worked for me:
I removed the password, restarted the computer, then put in the password again.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2013, 04:29:24 PM »
This solution worked for me:
I removed the password, restarted the computer, then put in the password again.

Thanks for the feedback.  Glad it worked.