Author Topic: UNSECURED  (Read 7327 times)

missdenise

UNSECURED
« on: February 12, 2010, 05:00:20 PM »
I got the notice  to re-register today.   Clicked - and from then on Avast is unsecured. 
It prompts me to click "Fix It" and I when I do the little 'hour glass' appears for a micro second and then... nothing.

Tried rebooting several times.

Even tried the repair.
Click Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs
Select avast! antivirus then click Add/Remove
   Scroll down to find the Repair function
   Click Repair and follow the rest of the prompts
   Reboot

Still does not work - Help????

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Re: UNSECURED
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 05:23:50 PM »
1. are you using the latest version (5.0.418)?
2. does it say that the avast service is stopped? Or what exactly does it say?

Thanks
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

missdenise

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 05:53:09 PM »
Yes. I am using the latest version. 

"UNSECURED Your system is not protected Please use the FIX NOW button to start protecting the system"
Also Avast prog has been stopped Restart prog'm.

Neither button does anything.

josephallisonreesiii

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 06:26:57 PM »
I have the same problem. It shows version as "unknown."
It says it is stopped, but it won't start it. "Fix" does not work.

I tried uninstall and reinstall three times.

Running under WinXP.  Worked fine for more than a year, until renewal notice yesterday.

missdenise

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 06:30:45 PM »
That is exactly my problem... I got the renewal notice this morning and now the whole thing is screwed up.  I tried a restore to yesterday - no luck.

josephallisonreesiii

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 06:59:58 PM »
I tried going through Control Panel to start the service. I get this error message:
"Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion."

hyjaxltd

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 07:17:08 PM »
Are you using a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS?

You may want to wait for Vlk to respond and see if he would like any log files before attempoting this, or maybe while attempting this, but it might fix things if you can wait.

Have you tried using the Avast Cleaner http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe , I beleive to run properly you need to run from the Administrator account, as well as in 'Safe Mode'.

As recommened by EVERY tech, do not connect to the internet while not protected (kinda makes the web page you try and send us to against your own recommendations BTW, whats up with that).  Try reinstalling Avast then and see if your problem is fixed.

I have another idea of these problems but its already been put up once before...and just like all opinions probably stinks. 8)

josephallisonreesiii

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »
Are you using a 32 bit OS or 64 bit OS?

You may want to wait for Vlk to respond and see if he would like any log files before attempoting this, or maybe while attempting this, but it might fix things if you can wait.

Have you tried using the Avast Cleaner http://public.avast.com/~forejt/aswClear.exe , I beleive to run properly you need to run from the Administrator account, as well as in 'Safe Mode'.

As recommened by EVERY tech, do not connect to the internet while not protected (kinda makes the web page you try and send us to against your own recommendations BTW, whats up with that).  Try reinstalling Avast then and see if your problem is fixed.

I have another idea of these problems but its already been put up once before...and just like all opinions probably stinks. 8)
32-bit. Used aswClear in safe mode, and tried reinstall. Same effect.

I don't have time to wait for reply. I'm off to the store to buy something else--maybe even a whole new OS. I've given up on Avast.

missdenise

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2010, 08:21:41 PM »
Tired the uninstall in safe mode also which finally did uninstall all of Avast.

Time to download AVG.    It sucks that is was all because I got the notice to re-register.  I'm sure there will be many more users with issues!

josephallisonreesiii

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2010, 09:00:47 PM »
I've deleted Avast and installed Panda Cloud, which got the PC Mag Editors' Choice.

hyjaxltd

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2010, 09:45:11 PM »
I've deleted Avast and installed Panda Cloud, which got the PC Mag Editors' Choice.
Good for you.  When you ran the Avast! cleaner did you remeber to choose the Alwil directory in the cleaner application as well, or did you simply select your product and hit clean.  Either way, it looks like your issue has been personally satisfied and my other suggestion seems to have worked for the other having this issue.

Maybe ask them if anything was special.

CharleyGarrett

« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2010, 06:15:05 PM »
 :o I'm not ready to give up (yet).  Maybe it's just a problem with Avast! notifying other programs that it is here, working and current?  So, Windows Security center "says" that it cannot find any AV protection.  Other software that I have reports that the AV software is "out of date".  On the other hand, Avast! 5.0.418 says that my computer is fully protected.  So, I'd be interested in hearing about any fix for this situation.

Charley
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Avast! Free Anti-virus 5.0.418

hyjaxltd

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2010, 06:42:45 PM »
:o I'm not ready to give up (yet).  Maybe it's just a problem with Avast! notifying other programs that it is here, working and current?  So, Windows Security center "says" that it cannot find any AV protection.  Other software that I have reports that the AV software is "out of date".  On the other hand, Avast! 5.0.418 says that my computer is fully protected.  So, I'd be interested in hearing about any fix for this situation.

Charley
Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit
Avast! Free Anti-virus 5.0.418
Its obvious from the semantics of the OP handle what his intentions were, Im sorry to hear you are having iisues thouhg.  I myself have left Avast only to come back as ALL OTHERS seem to make my machine slower and slower every time I wake it up, or turn it on.  Avast really seems to almost not be there while giving some GREAT protection.

Out of curiosity, where did you download from?  ie, an offiste like CNet or various others.

Back to the problem.  Have you tried a completly fresh installation.  MAKE SURE TO HAVE ALL FILES BACKED UP.  Sometimes in coming from other security providers, they leave traces of their software ALL OVER WINDOWS.  I have only been able to garuntee my own suucess with Avast after using other products by a FRESH install.

This is not Avast's fault.  It is porr removal app of the other products.  Yes, Avast does leave some traces but not CORE changing components like MANY of the others, to include one named already in this thread.  So the only way to get over this problem is freshly install your system. 

Make sure you install service packs before installing Avast, I have them downloaded to a separate device for easy install.  I myself encountered problems with Avast changing my Vista license if I did not update my servicepacks first.  It was very frustrating and I thought I would warn you before spending a day like I did tracing other possibilities until Avast was all that was left (this refers to Vista before upgrading any service packs).  Im sure others may argue you can repair all the damage/changes the switching from one to the next has done, but I only know ONE garunteed way.  Also, you may be trying to install onn top of an already infected OS from other software failing you.

Now, if you go through this and you still are having the issue, what seemed to do the trick for me was to; (1) make sure the trial period has been activated and Avast updated; (2) disable your internet connection; (3) manually stop and restart the entire Avast package; (4) reboot PC; (5) re-enable internet connection, if all is well.  If not only do so at your own risk, as it is recommended to NEVER connect to the internet without proper security software.

This fix worked for me and my Avast seems to be functioning JUST FINE NOW.  Even after updating and I did a custom install wihtout the 'script schield'.  Im sure that Vlk and the entire dev staff is on top of this trying to get it worked out for the next upgrade... ???

If anyone can suggest anything else before this person goes through reinstalling and updating Vista please submit...