Author Topic: Invalid File Signature - unable to fix  (Read 12286 times)

richro65

Invalid File Signature - unable to fix
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:52:42 PM »
Hello all!

Yesterday I searched this forum for the invalid file signature problem when updating the virus database.  Found the solution outlined and followed the steps.  (download removal tool & Avast 5, uninstall through control panel, restart, use removal tool, restart, install new version)  After doing this, Avast installed with no errors, all good.

This morning I turn on the computer and get a message that Avast's last attempt to update failed, so I tell it to try to update.....this resulted in the same old invalid file signature error again.

I again repeated the steps for doing a clean install of Avast....same problem though, can't update.

Any other solutions out there?

Thanks!

BTW, XP Pro & Avast 5.0

SafeSurf

Re: Invalid File Signature - unable to fix
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 08:55:10 AM »
There was a recent large update.  I suggest you try doing a manual update when this occurs...making sure you don't have any other scan going on in the background of other software.  See if this works for you.

Prior to this, were you able to get updates without problems other than the event you noted in your post?

Are you using 5.0.594?

richro65

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:14:15 PM »
I get the error when I attempt to do a manual update. 

At first when I start the computer Avast tells me that the last attempt to update failed so I manually go to the update section and choose virus definition update.  It loads for a while then aborts and tells me invalid file signature.

This is version 5.0.594.

The history of this computer is:

-Got it used 2 weeks ago
-wiped the hard drive clean
-did a fresh XP Pro install
-installed Avast 5.0, got update error
-uninstalled 5.0
-downloaded and installed Avast 4.8
-worked fine for a few days, then could not update.
-followed instructions from this site to remove and reinstall
-still getting same error
-went through steps again, downloaded set up files again
-still same problem

Thanks for your help

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2010, 12:56:19 AM »
What other security software do you currently or previously have on this machine including firewall?  Please list them.

Under the Avast GUI > Settings > Updates > tell me what you have checked off.
If it's easier to give me a screen shot, you can do that instead.

To confirm, you do NOT use a proxy...correct?

richro65

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 06:01:58 PM »
No other security software installed other than Windows firewall.  No proxy...

I tried to do another clean uninstall and a fresh install of Avast and this time it would not complete the installation.

Log file here:

http://www.fortunetalent.com/logfile.txt

Thanks

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 06:20:26 PM »
Are you using a Limited User Account or a Computer Administrator account ???

I see
Load registry hive ERROR_SHARING_VIOLATION

Types of user accounts
Note

• Some programs might not work properly for users with limited accounts. If so, change the user's account type to computer administrator, either temporarily or permanently.
http://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/ua_c_account_types.mspx?mfr=true

richro65

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 07:21:40 PM »
It's an administrator account and it's the only user account on that computer.  I have the guest account turned off.

richro65

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2010, 07:24:52 PM »
Looks like there is another recent thread on the board where a user is having the same problem, except he is using Win 7.  The sharing violation error is also in his log.

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 06:37:26 AM »
I see what YoKenny is referring to in looking at your log.

I'd like you to check for malware with MBAM (Malwarebytes’ Anti-Malware).
·   Download free http://www.malwarebytes.org/ for an on-demand scanner.
·   Double Click mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
·   After install, click update so you have latest database before scanning.
·   Under Settings:
o   General: Automatically Save File After Scan Completes is checked off
o   Scanner SettingsCheck all boxes
o   Updater: Download and install update if available is checked off
·   Once the program has loaded, select "Perform FULL Scan", then click Scan.
·   The scan may take some time to finish, so please be patient.
·   When the disinfection scan is complete, a log will appear in Notepad and you may be prompted to Restart. (See Extra Note).
·   Click the “remove selected” button to quarantine anything found.  You will find the infection details under the Quarantine tab.
·   The log is automatically saved by MBAM and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
·   Copy & Paste the entire report in your next reply.

If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be presented with 1 of 2 prompts -- Click OK to either and let MBAM proceed with the disinfection process; If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately.

dubhdara

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:21:19 PM »
I had this problem when manually updating from 100804-1 to 100805-0 today. It worked on my second attempt however. I've no idea what caused it. I use Windows Firewall and have XP SP3.

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 08:21:52 AM »
@ dubhdara,
I had this problem when manually updating from 100804-1 to 100805-0 today. It worked on my second attempt however. I've no idea what caused it.
Welcome to the forum.  However it would be best in the future to start a new thread or an existing one with the same problem since the OP has a problem with a broken/invalid file signature, which is different from yours.

In your situation, either doing a manual update or waiting until later to do an update is the correct thing to do.  This happens at times for no reason but now you have the solution to it.  Enjoy your Avast product.  :)

@ richro65,
Awaiting your response.

dubhdara

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 09:16:46 AM »
No, my problem - according to the error message - on the first attempt was exactly that (an invalid file signature). However, it was successful when I tried again.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 09:35:04 AM »
It wasn't clear to me from your post...my apologies.  I'm glad things are working out for you now.  Welcome to the forum  :)

richro65

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 12:01:57 AM »
I actually got it working but I didn't get your post about Malware Bytes until afterward.

I did the complete uninstall, then I ran a program called EasyCleaner from ToniArts, which I use quite often on other computers.  I cleaned out all of the invalid registry entries and then Avast installed and seems to update fine now.

If I have any further trouble I will run MB on the system.

Thanks

SafeSurf

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 07:15:30 AM »
richro65,

It looks like Easy_Cleaner is a registry cleaner.  Something most of us use that also does this but more is CCleaner http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner is a freeware system optimization, privacy and cleaning tool.  It removes unused files (cache, temporary Internet files, etc.) from your system - allowing Windows to run faster and freeing up valuable hard disk space.  It also cleans traces of your online activities such as your Internet history.  Additionally it contains a fully featured registry cleaner.  Remember when installing to uncheck the Yahoo toolbar.

But it's your choice what you want for your machine.

Either way, the registry cleaners are not the same as MBAM, which is an on-demand (when you need it) check for malware, that works differently from Avast.  It's a good back up tool to have on your system and light as well.  Something to consider.

Let us know how you do.  If all goes well, post back with your results and we can close this thread.  Thanks.