Author Topic: Avast! Protection not working properly..  (Read 3580 times)

.:shane:.

Avast! Protection not working properly..
« on: October 09, 2010, 07:16:06 PM »
I have been using Avast! for approximately 27 days. It was doing fine for the first 3 weeks, but when my computer started having a Virus, Avast! was not detecting it, and now my other PC is messing up, I can't access the internet or any other programs on my other PC due to a ton of viruses, I can't even Register for Avast! on that PC also... Any help?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! Protection not working properly..
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2010, 07:28:05 PM »
I suggest an installation from scratch:

1. Download the latest version of avast! Uninstall Utility and save it.
2. Download the latest avast! version and save it.
3. Uninstall avast from Control Panel (if possible). If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after that.
4. Run the avast! Uninstall Utility saved on 1. If, for any reason, you can't run it, try booting in Safe Mode and doing it from there. Anyway, boot after you've run it.
5. Install avast! using the setup saved on 2. Boot.
6. Register your free copy or add the license key for Pro.
7. Check and post the results.

If a virus is replicant (coming and coming again), you could follow the general cleaning procedure:

1. Clean your temporary files. You can use CleanUpCCleaner or a deep one called Temp File Cleaner for that.

2. Schedule a boot time scanning with avast. Start avast! > Right click the skin > Schedule a boot-time scanning. Select for scanning archives. Boot. Other option is scanning in SafeMode (repeatedly press F8 while booting).
If avast does not detect it, you can try DrWeb CureIT! instead.

3. It will be good if you download, install, update and run MBAM (or SUPERantispyware or even SpywareTerminator).
If any infection is detected, it is better and safer to send the infected file(s) to quarantine (Chest), rather than simply deleting them.

4. If you still detecting any strange behavior or even you're sure you're not clean, maybe it will be good to test your machine with anti-rootkit applications. I suggest avast! antirootkit or Trend Micro RootkitBuster for XP/Vista. For XP only: Panda.

5. Also, if you still detecting strange behaviors or you want to be sure you're clean, maybe making a HijackThis log to post here or this analysis site. Or even submit the RunScanner log to to on-line analysis.

6. Browser hijacking and problems with antivirus update could be managed in some scenarios by cleaning the hosts file (at C:\windows\system32\drivers\etc folder). The file does not have an extention, it's simply hosts.
The default file consists of a number of example lines preceded with # The only required line is
127.0.0.1       localhost
You can get a good replacement with HostsMan that keep it clean (avoid infections) and updated: http://www.abelhadigital.com

7. After you're clean, disable System Restore on Windows ME, XP or Vista. System Restore is not available in Windows 9x and 2k. After disabling you can enable it again.

8. Use the immunization of SpywareBlaster.

9. Finally, when you're clean, check for insecure applications with Secunia Software Inspector to update insecure applications and avoid reinfection.
The best things in life are free.