Author Topic: Is Ad-AwareAE Compatible with Avast! Professional Edition?  (Read 9506 times)

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Is Ad-AwareAE Compatible with Avast! Professional Edition?
« on: April 25, 2009, 08:20:56 AM »
I use Avast! Professional Edition and I was wondering if I could have Ad-AwareAE as my FOURTH backup scanner. Is it possible that I can combine those anti<strike>viruses</strike>spywares?:
Spybot Search And Destroy
Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Free Edition
SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition
Avast! Professional Edition
and add Ad-AwareAE just to be on the safe side ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 06:46:44 PM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
Re: Is Ad-AwareAE Compatible with Avast! Professional Edition?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 01:55:41 PM »
Don't see why not. Try it.
AdAware would have to have improved its AE heaps over the last offering for me to ever want to install it again, thanks. Nothing but doubt and program crashes.

Just a point of clarification, those aren't AV's, they're Antispywares. Small distinction, but important if anyone reads this and thinks it's ok to install more than 1 AV. (It's almost always not ok.)
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 06:48:52 PM »
Umm......
                  Do you know if it has any MAJOR problems like system crash? I don't want my PC to die. Its my only one. :(

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 07:54:29 PM »
Ad-Aware is an old good boy... I think it will add nothing to MBAM and SAS that you already has.
Well, after that you'll complain that there are too many processes running in your computer... (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44583.0).
Don't flood your computer ;D
The best things in life are free.

rdmaloyjr

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 08:04:56 PM »
Ad-Aware is an old good boy... I think it will add nothing to MBAM and SAS that you already has.
Well, after that you'll complain that there are too many processes running in your computer... (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=44583.0).

avast!'s built-in antispyware (a/v & a/s use same scanning engine for low resource use) does a great job, no other a/s is needed.  SAS & mbam are great on-demand scanners for backup.

No need to "flood your computer" ;D

YoKenny

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2009, 08:13:33 PM »
Ad-Aware 

It has seen its day and now is a waste of hard disk space so stick with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SAS.

McAfee SiteAdvisor is useless as its updates are few and far between.

Foxit Toolbar with askBar.dll is un-necessary so should be un-installed.

Spybot S&D's TeaTimer is redundant with SAS.

Why to you run CCleaner at Windows startup? 
Its best you clean up when the system shuts down because you don't need it but you do when you start up.

I guess you power up your system then go make a coffee while the system boots up. ;)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 08:26:58 PM by YoKenny »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2009, 08:50:23 PM »
Although I'm no fan of S&D, the Teatime is a resident function and as such isn't redundant with SAS as the OP's version is the free one which has no resident protection
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2009, 08:53:09 PM »
Don't see why not. Try it.
AdAware would have to have improved its AE heaps over the last offering for me to ever want to install it again, thanks. Nothing but doubt and program crashes.

Just a point of clarification, those aren't AV's, they're Antispywares. Small distinction, but important if anyone reads this and thinks it's ok to install more than 1 AV. (It's almost always not ok.)

I think I'd pass now...

Do you think I should remove the accounts that don't even work anymore and the backup accounts?

avast!'s built-in antispyware (a/v & a/s use same scanning engine for low resource use) does a great job, no other a/s is needed.  SAS & mbam are great on-demand scanners for backup.

No need to "flood your computer" ;D

I can't stop flooding it because I have too many broken accounts and backup accounts that I want to get rit of.

Ad-Aware 

It has seen its day and now is a waste of hard disk space so stick with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and SAS.

McAfee SiteAdvisor is useless as its updates are few and far between.

Foxit Toolbar with askBar.dll is un-necessary so should be un-installed.

Spybot S&D's TeaTimer is redundant with SAS.

Why to you run CCleaner at Windows startup? 
Its best you clean up when the system shuts down because you don't need it but you do when you start up.

I guess you power up your system then go make a coffee while the system boots up. ;)

Okay, i'm not going to flood my pc anymore but can you help me get rit of the flooding?

Although I'm no fan of S&D, the Teatime is a resident function and as such isn't redundant with SAS as the OP's version is the free one which has no resident protection

So does that mean I have to disable Teatime or uninstall S&D and reinstall it without TeaTimer somehow?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 08:56:50 PM »
So does that mean I have to disable Teatime or uninstall S&D and reinstall it without TeaTimer somehow?
No, just disable the Teatimer. The only usable function of Spybot nowadays is the immunization...
The best things in life are free.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 09:07:39 PM »
No, just disable the Teatimer. The only usable function of Spybot nowadays is the immunization...

How do I disable TeaTimer? ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »

No, I'm not making any recommendation, just an observation. It is just saying that contrary to what YoKenny said Teatimer isn't redundant just because you have SAS, because the free version of SAS doesn't have any resident function, so teatimer could provide limited resident functionality.

There is however IMHO such a thing ad you can get too much of a good thing and that includes security software. Given that you have avast which does have anti-spyware built in and two on-demand anti-spyware scanners (SAS and MBAM), perhaps that is enough (perhaps S&D is redundant), see my signature.

For immunization as Tech mentions you could use SpywareBlaster which has an immunization only function the program doesn't run in the background consuming resources.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2009, 09:14:34 PM »

No, I'm not making any recommendation, just an observation. It is just saying that contrary to what YoKenny said Teatimer isn't redundant just because you have SAS, because the free version of SAS doesn't have any resident function, so teatimer could provide limited resident functionality.

There is however IMHO such a thing ad you can get too much of a good thing and that includes security software. Given that you have avast which does have anti-spyware built in and two on-demand anti-spyware scanners (SAS and MBAM), perhaps that is enough (perhaps S&D is redundant), see my signature.

For immunization as Tech mentions you could use SpywareBlaster which has an immunization only function the program doesn't run in the background consuming resources.

Your telling me that it is reccominded to UNINSTALL Spybot S&D? It detected my DSS Agent Problem.  :-\ Oh well..... Uninstalls.............................

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2009, 09:23:18 PM »
I told you I earlier I'm not making a recommendation, just observations ;D
What you decide is on your system is your choice based on the information you gather from this topic.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2009, 09:25:24 PM »
I told you I earlier I'm not making a recommendation, just observations ;D
What you decide is on your system is your choice based on the information you gather from this topic.

I don't care about that, all I want is to have more space on my PC. :(