Author Topic: Doubt about free Avast  (Read 4930 times)

Trib

Doubt about free Avast
« on: May 27, 2011, 06:49:29 PM »
Hey guys.
I saw some sites and I had this doubt:
Does Avast Free Antivirus 6 have a firewall?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Doubt about free Avast
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 06:58:55 PM »
First you have posted in the avast! Business Protection forum, unrelated to your question.

Should have gone here, avast! Free/Pro/Suite forum.

The avast Free version is a stand alone anti-virus it doesn't have a firewall, that is only in the Avast Internet Suite (AIS) version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

SafeSurf

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2011, 10:56:11 AM »
The OP's post has been moved to the appropriate area of the forum.

Trib, you can take a look at the various products here to compare them: http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download, but as DavidR mentioned only the AIS version has the firewall.

Trib

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 12:05:42 PM »
Thanks for answering. :)
I also have another question:
I've seen several sites and the opinions aren't always the same
Is Avast Free Edition 6 better than Avira AntiVir 10?
What does Avast have that Avira doesn't.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 12:24:34 PM »
Thanks for answering. :)
I also have another question:
I've seen several sites and the opinions aren't always the same
Is Avast Free Edition 6 better than Avira AntiVir 10?
What does Avast have that Avira doesn't.
Avast has webshield, autosandbox, behavior shield, website reputation addon, script shield and network shield. Avira doesn't. Also avast! has ability to repair some types of malware and you can set-up the list of blocked websites. Also Avast! can compete paid antivirus suites. Avira can't.
But Avira has better detection rate than avast and is has much much much faster scanning speed than avast!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 12:28:26 PM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 12:35:40 PM »
But Avira has better detection rate than avast and is has much much much faster scanning speed than avast!

Really?
Well, if you check some test sites (such as av-comparatives), you'll find out that it says exactly the opposite about the speed, and even the detection is questionable.

AdrianH

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 12:41:51 PM »
http://www.avast.com/free-antivirus-download

The world’s most popular antivirus software:
159,968,074 registrations and growing

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 12:52:51 PM »

Really?
Well, if you check some test sites (such as av-comparatives), you'll find out that it says exactly the opposite about the speed, and even the detection is questionable.

I was watching some videos and avast's test taked a bout 2 hours to test 10000 files and avira taked about 5 minutes. Avira found about 1000 files more than avast. But I don't know what video it was. But It's just a video. Avast! is of-course better. Avira can't protect you on internet.
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 12:55:51 PM »
Testing speed on infected files? That doesn't make sense (for ordinary users).
What matters is the scanning speed on clean files - which is what most/all files on your disk will be. (And the speed may be completely different on a clean and infected set - that's why such tests have to be done on clean files, i.e. separated from the detection test.)

cyberrufus

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 12:58:42 PM »
Avast scans much faster than Avira does.

Trib

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 12:59:10 PM »
Thanks guys for your posts, it really helped me. :)

LunarWolf

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2011, 01:11:35 PM »
Avira's heuristics is better than avast. Based on AV comparatives result. I don't know whether avast have improve its heuristics.

@Trib,
You can use Online Armor Free. It is light, easy to use and effective.

DarkMasters

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2011, 01:30:34 PM »

Really?

No. I've tried the latest version of Avira Personal (about a month ago) and test it against my personal malware collection and the detection rate is on par with Avast! Free.

Avira scanning speed with it's standard settings is quite fast, however for better security setup you need to tweak the setting in Avira which resulting in a slower scanning speed.

Avast with standard settings is definitely faster than Avira. Tweaking the scan option for a better security still resulting in faster scan compared to Avira.

One interesting thing to add here is the latest Avast using my computer resource lesser than Avira either on standby/idle or while doing a full scan.

Personally, I regard Avira as an alternative to Avast. I use Avira about two month ago for a month because Avast 5.1.889, 6.0.1000, and all other version which come afterwards keep freezing my Windows randomly but often.

My overall experience with Avira is quite pleasing (except the old horrible UI). Still, since Avast 6.0.1125 seems to fix that random freezing, I'd wholeheartedly prefer Avast (resource friendly) over Avira.