Author Topic: how to fix the windows counterfeiting???  (Read 5941 times)

enen

how to fix the windows counterfeiting???
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:13:27 PM »
 :( good day to all!!! i have a problem regarding bout my windows.. a message appear on the desktop saying" i may be a victim of counterfeiting... ask for genuine windows??? i wonder how can i fix this and why this occur on my system.., can anyone please help me.. thank you in advance!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: how to fix the windows counterfeiting???
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 08:47:53 PM »
Well firstly I'm always suspicious of anything like this as it is invariable a scam/fraud.

I can only assume that you have a legit version of windows.

The standard windows genuine advantage checks would take place when using windows update or downloading something from windows download area that requires WGA validation, so if it is happening outside of that it is possibly a scam/fraud.

This would normally give a URL to visit to confirm your copy, etc. this could well get you infected or request money for a legit registration key, etc. You should never click on links like this as it may purport to be windows/microsoft but would be for a different site.

If you haven't already got this software (freeware), download, install, update and run it, preferably in safe mode and report the findings (it should product a log file).
1. SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
2. MalwareBytes Anti-Malware, On-Demand only in free version http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/malwarebytes/mbam-setup.exe, right click on the link and select Save As or Save File (As depending on your browser), save it to a location where you can find it easily later.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »
If you don't have a legit copy, buy one.

Or, search the web for how to disable WGA in google.  I've done it many times, but I don't think I should explain how to on this forum.

It's pretty simple though, just rename 2 files and reboot. Then, just don't allow the Windows Genuine Advantage update to install anymore.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

enen

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2009, 06:25:46 AM »
Thank you sir scythe944, and davidr.. it helps alot to me! my problem has been resolved!.. thank you for your kindness!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 06:34:54 AM »
hehe. hopefully, the fix for your problem wasn't to circumvent WGA, but who am I to judge? lol.

Glad we could help!
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 03:00:12 PM »
Thank you sir scythe944, and davidr.. it helps alot to me! my problem has been resolved!.. thank you for your kindness!

You're welcome.

Curiosity does however, get the better of me, so was it one of the two applications removing fake security/product alerts ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security