Author Topic: Windows Cannot Find  (Read 9823 times)

CelticQueen

Windows Cannot Find
« on: September 09, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »
I recently ran into a problem with my Avast stopped working. I could not restart it at all. In desperation I uninstalled my avast and downloaded avast to my computer. Since then each time I start my computer when the desktop is finished loading I get an error window come up saying "Windows cannot find C:\Program File\ALWIL Software\AVAST5\Avastui.exe please make sure you have it typed in correctly" How do I get this to stop. I'm using Vista Home Premium. thank you

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Windows Cannot Find
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 07:52:36 PM »
try reinstall avast

read instructions, remove avast with this - run it from safe mode - http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

then install again and reboot

CelticQueen

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:55:44 PM »
Well I downloaded the uninstall utility & went into safe mode & uninstalled Avast..rebooted & installed Avast. I'm still getting the same error message popping up :( >:(

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 05:12:20 PM »
You need to use the drop down within the uninstaller and run it for version 5 then for 6 and lastly 7 all in safemode, since your error msg states alwil which is the old name from version 5.

Once completed then reboot back to normal mode and re-install avast

CelticQueen

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »
I followed your suggestions. Went into safe mode each time to uninstall avast 5..6..&7. After rebooting going back to normal mode as soon as my desktop finish loading..before I even installed Avast again. The same error window came up. >:(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2012, 04:19:45 PM »
what other security programs installed?
what antivirus did you use before avast?
have you uninstalled it?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »
I wonder if rejzor's tool might fix this ??? wont hurt to try https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=94A12102E5094675!920 click to download the avast cleanup tool - can be run in normal mode

Aventador

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 10:50:53 PM »
She also needs to point the Avast uninstall tool to the installed director. The tool will run even without that. But you need to click on the little box and go to C:/Program Files/Avast Software.

CelticQueen

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2012, 12:40:13 AM »
what other security programs installed?
what antivirus did you use before avast?
have you uninstalled it?
I've used only Avast for at least past 4 yrs. This error message popped up after I had to uninstall Avast when it had suddenly stopped working and I could not get it to restart it or even repair it. When I installed avast again is when this error message appeared.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2012, 11:36:09 PM »
I followed your suggestions. Went into safe mode each time to uninstall avast 5..6..&7. After rebooting going back to normal mode as soon as my desktop finish loading..before I even installed Avast again. The same error window came up. >:(

This could indicate that something else has a reference to this file C:\Program File\ALWIL Software\AVAST5\Avastui.exe. As you say this is happening after the use of the uninstall utility (in safe mode), booting into normal mode and before you have even reinstalled avast. But I'm not sure if this is the case or not.

~~~~
This path \ALWIL Software\AVAST5 in your error message indicates that you had an earlier avast version installed avast 5 and or avast 6; a clean install of a later version would have changed that path to C:\Program Files\AVAST Software.

I suspect that your use of the avast! uninstall utility was incorrect. When you ran it you would need to have entered the C:\Program File\ALWIL Software as the path to the install location for avast 5 and 6 to remove any registry entries/folders, etc. that might remain for these earlier versions. Then run the avast! uninstall utility for avast 7 and use the default installation path, C:\Program Files\AVAST Software.

Hopefully that should clear this old reference for avast (removing that error) and allow the installation of avast 7 to proceed.

####
If the above doesn't resolve this:
Finding what that other application might be is going to be the interesting bit. For the life of me I can't understand why an application would have this reference as the avastUI.exe doesn't do much (not security related).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CelticQueen

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 04:51:44 PM »

This could indicate that something else has a reference to this file C:\Program File\ALWIL Software\AVAST5\Avastui.exe. As you say this is happening after the use of the uninstall utility (in safe mode), booting into normal mode and before you have even reinstalled avast. But I'm not sure if this is the case or not.

~~~~
This path \ALWIL Software\AVAST5 in your error message indicates that you had an earlier avast version installed avast 5 and or avast 6; a clean install of a later version would have changed that path to C:\Program Files\AVAST Software.

I suspect that your use of the avast! uninstall utility was incorrect. When you ran it you would need to have entered the C:\Program File\ALWIL Software as the path to the install location for avast 5 and 6 to remove any registry entries/folders, etc. that might remain for these earlier versions. Then run the avast! uninstall utility for avast 7 and use the default installation path, C:\Program Files\AVAST Software.

Hopefully that should clear this old reference for avast (removing that error) and allow the installation of avast 7 to proceed.

####
If the above doesn't resolve this:
Finding what that other application might be is going to be the interesting bit. For the life of me I can't understand why an application would have this reference as the avastUI.exe doesn't do much (not security related).
No..from my original post I said I first encountered this error message when I had uninstalled Avast cause it had stopped working and I couldn't get it to restart or repair it and installed it again. Since then I've followed everyone's suggestions and still getting the error message.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2012, 05:31:22 PM »
My additional sections ~~~~ and #### in my last post, were as much questions as comments as running of the avast uninstall utility would require that you enter the correct path for it t do its cleaning work. Since that error relates to an old avast path C:\Program File<b>\ALWIL Software\AVAST5\</b>Avastui.exe.

The folder entered when running the avast uninstall utility would have to be C:\Program File\ALWIL Software to ensure old references, folders and registry entries are found and removed.

Can you confirm that when you ran the avast utility that you entered that as the installed path ?

If so then you will have to do a registry search for this path C:\Program File\ALWIL Software\AVAST5\Avastui.exe and report what is found.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security