Author Topic: Making file a "exception"  (Read 78052 times)

rogman49

Re: Making file a "exception"
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2008, 05:56:44 PM »
Guys,

We are not communicating very well.  ::). I have been using this program for a thousand years. It is not a virus. If I copy the full path to the exception list, it does not work. Same as Allskin. I had to use the C:\*\XXXXXXXX. X's are an example.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2008, 06:10:58 PM »
It is all right saying you copy the full path but by displaying what you type it might just show why it isn't working.

I know one thing by not displaying it we will never know so are wasting our time, I hope I have communicated that well enough for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rogman49

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2008, 06:37:53 PM »
All,

Does anybody know why Allskin was not successfull when adding full path name to the exception list?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2008, 10:58:16 PM »
All,

Does anybody know why Allskin was not successfull when adding full path name to the exception list?
Please, post here the real full path name...
The best things in life are free.

rogman49

« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2008, 03:45:46 PM »
All,

Full path name does not work. Tried all types of combinations. It seems to ignore it. I did some experimenting and found out that C:\XXXXXXXX\* does work. X's contain folder name. This has been posted before on the forum. Full path name does not work.  ???

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2008, 03:55:14 PM »
As has our request for the full text that you entered, we simply can't begin to say why something didn't work when we can't see what it is exactly that you entered, it is that simple. Even then we might not see why, but we would at least have a shot than dancing around in the dark wasting time.

In the time you have been avoiding the question we may have been able to make a suggestion as to why it didn't work and move on but this is like pulling teeth, I don't understand your reluctance to post what you entered. 

So for me I'm done being a dentist.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

rogman49

« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2008, 05:56:59 PM »
No, the right syntax would be
C:\MyPix\*
It excludes all files in C:\MyPix, including all subfolders.
It is not possible to exclude only the files in C:\MyPix and not the files in its subfolders.

If you use C:\MyPix* - it will work too, but it will also exclude files like C:\MyPixListing.txt, also files in C:\MyPix2 or C:\MyPixAnything folders, etc.
The answer above was given on 06/18 by Igor. As I stated full path name will not work. The lowest level you can go down to is folder name.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2008, 03:29:05 PM »
It is not possible to exclude only the files in C:\MyPix and not the files in its subfolders.
Yes, you can write down C:\MyPix\*.*
The best things in life are free.