Author Topic: Have an old computer...  (Read 2798 times)

jef G

Have an old computer...
« on: April 21, 2006, 02:39:48 AM »
In fact it's so old that the thing still has a 5.25" floppy drive in it! It also came with a whole box of blank floppies. wow.

I don't know how I got on this forum, but maybe some trouble-shooting question got me here.

Maybe some of my "tech" issues could, at least be a curiousity...

I tweaked this old 'puter - 'til I can no' tweak 'er no more... I have the time... but no money... so I guess this is it... hope I "fit in" here on Avast!

The OS I have is an Original Windows 98 (gold) the processor is a 500Mhz AMD K2 (socket 7) with 256Mb of memory. It connects to the Web, from behind a Linksys router, with a solid 3Mbs connection. (2700 - 2850 average) and it's still chuggin' away. I can just about keep up with the Dell in the next room, running XP.

I can't believe that I lost all of my "restricted sites in Internet Explorer 6  again! After the last crash... I wrote 'em all down.

I like keeping the junk mail flowing right on by so I can keep just what I think I need without losing my web page speed. I've learned a few tricks...

Does anybody know where the list of "blocked" sites is stored in Windows? It would seem like there would be an edit-able file somewhere in the registry or back in Windows somewhere. That way, I can just "reload" the "list" when things go south. Meanwhile... I am typing all of those sites back into the list.

Like I said... curious...

space

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Have an old computer...
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 03:35:41 AM »
Does anybody know where the list of "blocked" sites is stored in Windows?
In the Windows Registry... It's not a simple thing to manage...
It's not a black list or something easy.
But you have tools to add restricted sites:
www.malwarehelp.org/how-to-effectively-prevent-iespyad.html
www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial53.html

Meanwhile... I am typing all of those sites back into the list.
You can 'create' your own list similar to the reg files created by the tool above and add them automatically.

Why do you want to restrict access to these sites?
The best things in life are free.

Online polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Have an old computer...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 09:45:07 AM »
Hi jefG,

As Win 98 (SE) & ME are no longer supported soon, the best thing is to go here: http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html
to get the unofficial service pack, upgrade IE you have to do yourself, but the advice to use an alternate browser like FF or Flock is a good advice.
Also download this program to manage your host file: hostess from here: http://homepage.cooketech.net/~cybermel/Mel's%20Spyware%20Tools%20and%20Ad%20Blockers.html
Install Spybot S&D, Ad-aware and SpywareBlaster there, a-squared free. and one resident AV scanner (we use Avast!), one non-resident scanner like ClamWin, one free software firewall like ZoneAlarm, and your box can securely meet the standards of to-day. Use in-browser security to minimize infections on the fly: in Firefox use add-ons like siteadvisor, NoScript, adblock plus with the G-updater, DrWeb hyperlink pre-scanner plug-in, ShowIp). With this configuration I been on the Internet virus- and malware free for years.

polonus
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 09:46:46 AM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!