Author Topic: Ever heard of this trojan/malware?  (Read 23427 times)

sfwx

Re: Ever heard of this trojan/malware?
« Reply #30 on: June 06, 2010, 07:31:26 AM »
well i still have one prob. System restore doesnt load at all. My security centers back up and all. Thats my only prob that i can c for now. If i click it more than once i get the blank screen. if i leave it alone it wont open and nthing will pop up. any sugestions on that.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #31 on: June 06, 2010, 01:22:40 PM »
Hi sfwx sorry for not getting back to you - but I only received notification of your replies today  ???

Enable hidden and system files in Explorer if you haven't done so already. To do this, open Control Panel | Folder Options | View, and in Advanced Settings under Hidden Files and Folders, select "Show hidden files and folders," Below that, uncheck "Hide protected operating system files." (You will probably want to restore this option later.)

From Start | Run, type %SystemRoot%\inf and press Enter.
Find the file named sr.inf. Right click on it and select Install.
You may be prompted for your Windows installation media, or a directory on your hard drive that has the \i386 folder. If you installed Service Pack 2 (as opposed to installing a version of Windows XP with SP2 preinstalled), use the folder %SystemRoot%\ServicePackFiles\i386 .

Let me know how that goes - it should take no more than 10 minutes

%SystemRoot% is C:\windows

sfwx

« Reply #32 on: June 07, 2010, 08:11:15 AM »
What is this supposed to do? also its not working. it keeps saying theres no sr.sys file.

Offline mkis

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: June 07, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
I think differences will apply according to version of XP that is running, and maybe other condition...

The problem appears to arise because of following environment condition, (although this a bit dated)

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6122_102-0.html?threadID=166385

This may or may be not be yr problem now, likely was to begin with. What essexboy has done is provide what is generally considered the fix, but does not always apply for various reasons, yr case obviously being example of one.

I'm trying to recall a standard routine for reload or reset of System Restore. Of course if you hv installation CD then can run Repair and that will reload and reconfigure yr OS.
Avast7 Free, MBAM (on demand), MVPS Hosts

Intel DG41TY, Windows 7 Ultimate, IE9, Google Chrome, 4 GB ram, Secunia PSI, ccleaner, Foxit Reader, Faststone Image viewer, MWSnap.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #34 on: June 07, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
it keeps saying theres no sr.sys file.
Correct it is sr.inf this will reinstall system restore if the files are present

sfwx

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2010, 07:48:13 AM »
it keeps saying theres no sr.sys file.
Correct it is sr.inf this will reinstall system restore if the files are present

no im saying it says that after i get to the i386 folder. whatevers supposed to be there isnt. The whole sr.inf is the first step thas fine its just afterwards getting past service pack files and such.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2010, 08:49:44 PM »
Ah ok with you now - that is showing us that a required system file is missing - you need to get a copy of that file and then put it in your sys32 folder and re-run sr.inf.

Unfortunately I am on 7 and my copy would be no good