Author Topic: Distinguish Web-Traffic by IP Adress  (Read 3113 times)

Spoony

Distinguish Web-Traffic by IP Adress
« on: September 11, 2011, 06:12:45 PM »
Hey,

since the last avast Update my firewall (Comodo) cannot longer distinguish outgoing connections by ip adress because all is routed through 127.0.0.1 (AvastSvc.exe).

Only way around is by disabling the web protection, which really cannot be an option...is there any other way, so it is possible to detect to which IP Adress the programm is connecting?

I can specifiy the IP adress for AvastSvc.exe but this gets quite confusing by an increasing number of ip adresses...

Thanks,

Spoony

ady4um

Re: Distinguish Web-Traffic by IP Adress
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 06:25:39 PM »
Besides rebuilding the firewall rule, try

Web shield -> expert settings -> "scan traffic from well known browser processes only".

Reboot, test and report back.

Spoony

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 05:59:45 PM »
Well, I guess with this option only webtraffic by firefox & ie or such will be scanned by avast?

But shouldn't be such a problem... for all other traffic there are other modules like IM/file ;)

Thank you very much.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 06:34:00 PM »
Well, I guess with this option only webtraffic by firefox & ie or such will be scanned by avast?

Web shield scanning "well known web browser traffic only" was the default state of things in the previous version of Avast. By checking only this type of traffic, web shield reduces (a little, little bit) the security barriers, but leaves you with the prior compatibility situation.

And you are correct; other shields and security barriers are still there to assist too.

Spoony

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Apparently OrbitDownloader still uses localhost and is not affected by "well known..."

sded

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:13:05 PM »
Don't know how Comodo is configured for local proxies these days, but all the connections generated when you use Avast are visible in OA, TCPview, etc.  One is a set of localhost connections between your browser and avastsvc at 127.0.0.1:12080 .  The other is a set of connections from avastsvc to the actual internet IP addresses.  So, for example, if you want to block an IP address, you should be able to block it for avastsvc instead of your browser.  What are you trying to do?