Author Topic: Avast with Comodo Firewall  (Read 6545 times)

Jeyaganesh

Avast with Comodo Firewall
« on: April 03, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »
Hi,

I have an Comodo Firewall and started to use Avast5 recently. The problem is I have configured my firewall such that I need to approve every new application that tries to connect to every unique internet ip's. Once approved the firewall will not seek approval for that ip address. After installing avast5, avast.setup and avastsvc.exe tries to connect to internet for all the websites that i am visiting, making my firewall to prompt each time. The more new websites I visit the more approval I need to make. Is this the common behaviour of this two application? Can I add the above two as my Trusted Application in my firewall settings? Pls help me out.. Thanks.

Hermite15

Re: Avast with Comodo Firewall
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 05:28:29 PM »
Hello,

why the hell did you set CIS to prompt you for every new IP ??? set it back to just TCP/UDP, not even every port, and you'll be good. Avast UI (in the free version) is connecting constantly to tens and tens of servers, so there's another alternative, I'll let you find out...but again, having CIS set to alert you for every new IP is overkill and useless.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 05:31:14 PM »
avast has (fortunately) a lot of servers to update the 100+ million users.
The IP list changes very often, but the server list resides in the <Avast>\Setup\servers.def file.
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 05:40:02 PM »
avast has a web shield localhost proxy, which monitors/scans your http port 80 traffic (your general browsing), so any site you want to visit using your browser goes through this port 80 redirect to the web shield proxy.

The web shield runs under the avastSvc.exe (avast service) not the avastUI as previously mentioned. This is normal so you need to make an exception in the case of avastSvc.exe and allow it for any TCP/UDP activity or as I do allow it complete access in my firewall.

The avast.setup is what is used to do the avast updates and it can connect to any one or a number of the hundreds of avast update servers (open servers.def using notepad to get an idea of the number of servers/IPs involved), to balance server load, so there again is no easy way to give an IP range, so make an exception for avast.setup.

Quote from: extract of avast.setup
[servers]
count=334
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 05:43:48 PM »
As avast is marked as a trusted program, even with the old version of comodo, there should be no conflicts...!! I would set the firewall/defence+ rules to allow all trusted programs!! No more problems!! :)
asyn
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Hermite15

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 05:52:10 PM »
avast has (fortunately) a lot of servers to update the 100+ million users

this may well be the case, but I've run Avast free, and I can tell you that the tens and tens of connections detected by CIS (when I was still running it together with Avast free), have nothing, absolutely nothing to do with the updates. They're connections established by Avast UI to get the ad for AIS. Blocking it (Avast UI) through a firewall doesn't prevent auto-update from working normally (the server lookup is invoked by "Avastsetup"), it just blocks the ad and the tens of useless connections. No problem with this ad, it's not "graphically" intrusive. Hey, we've been through this before ;)...but no way to accept that a system should connect to tens of servers continuously just because of that.
 This said, Avast UI also connect in AIS, but just once in a while, for the network utilities bundled with the firewall (trace route and who is). So it's not a problem there.

edit: I still got the screenshot, that was happening constantly
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 05:57:31 PM by Logos »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
Therefore i tend to block avastui completely (in free versions) with a firewall.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Jeyaganesh

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2010, 07:19:15 AM »
Thanks all.. I have added Avast as a trusted application in the firewall. Thanks again..