Author Topic: Windows Desktop Gadgets disabled by 7 update  (Read 10506 times)

undeadpiano

Windows Desktop Gadgets disabled by 7 update
« on: July 12, 2012, 10:05:48 PM »
So, when my Avast (free version) was upgraded to version 7 recently, a few issues started happening.  (I use Windows 7 x64).

Description of what has happened chronologically up to this point:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[1]  My Windows Desktop Gadgets disappeared and when I right click on the desktop to access the Gadgets menu, nothing happens.  I restarted the computer normally and when it rebooted, my icons were present but my desktop background was black, I could not access my Desktop Gadgets, and in the corner, it said that I was not using a genuine version of Windows (I can tell you with certainty that my version is indeed valid). 

[2]  After attempting a second restart, I logged in and all that loaded was a black screen.  My mouse works, and I'm still able to access the Ctrl+Alt+Delete menu and the task manager and all that, but there is a severe shortage of processes running and my desktop never loads. 

[3]  I then restarted the computer and accessed the F8 menu.  I then enabled boot-logging and I have attached the log to this post.  (Same black empty screen situation happened.)

[4]  I then restarted in Safe Mode where my desktop appeared properly.  I then selected a system restore point that was before I was updated to Avast 7. My computer and desktop booted normally and properly with all my Gadgets showing. 

[5]  I then installed my windows updates and restarted to make sure it was the Avast update that caused my problem and indeed, my gadgets were still working after Windows updates.

[6]  I then uninstalled my avast because some services weren't working because it was wanting me to restart so that it could install Avast 7.  After uninstalling Avast 6, I then downloaded and installed Avast 7 from a fresh download from the Avast website.  After restarting, Gadgets is not functioning again.  I haven't restarted yet, but I'm sure I'll have black screen issues with logging on again. 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone needs any other logs or info from my computer, I'll gladly provide (just tell me how to access them). 

Anyone else experiencing these issues?  Any known fix yet or do I just need to find another free antivirus for the time-being?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:08:03 PM by undeadpiano »

Dch48

Re: Windows Desktop Gadgets disabled by 7 update
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 10:11:10 PM »
Since Microsoft has now pulled the plug on the sidebar and all gadgets for security reasons, I would suggest you get rid of all of them. Microsoft is advising everyone to disable sidebar and gadget functionality and they are no longer available on the website.  Read this article.

http://www.zdnet.com/security-flaws-signal-early-death-of-windows-gadgets-7000000724/

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 10:30:13 PM »
Interesting, I have win7 32bit starter edition on my acer aspire one netbook and both my gadgets are still on the desktop and working. Though the win7 32bit starter edition is much crippled, I don't believe it has the Sidebar feature, but you can get gadgets (or I found a way).

But if you try to get more you get the Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of windows, blah, blah, blah.

There is little on that page about security other than Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and access your computer files. Great so Microsoft is saying that the Windows Desktop Gadgets is an untrustworthy source, well I can fully understand that as I don't completely trust microsoft's sharp practices.

If their really is a security issue, what is wrong with them patching it.

So I rather feel that this is more to do with them trying to push win8 metro style apps.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 10:35:37 PM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

undeadpiano

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 10:50:41 PM »
Since Microsoft has now pulled the plug on the sidebar and all gadgets for security reasons, I would suggest you get rid of all of them. Microsoft is advising everyone to disable sidebar and gadget functionality and they are no longer available on the website.  Read this article.

http://www.zdnet.com/security-flaws-signal-early-death-of-windows-gadgets-7000000724/

Interesting read.  Now I would like to disable them, but I still can't even pull up the menu to do so. 

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »
Interesting, I have win7 32bit starter edition on my acer aspire one netbook and both my gadgets are still on the desktop and working. Though the win7 32bit starter edition is much crippled, I don't believe it has the Sidebar feature, but you can get gadgets (or I found a way).

But if you try to get more you get the Because we want to focus on the exciting possibilities of the newest version of windows, blah, blah, blah.

There is little on that page about security other than Gadgets installed from untrusted sources can harm your computer and access your computer files. Great so Microsoft is saying that the Windows Desktop Gadgets is an untrustworthy source, well I can fully understand that as I don't completely trust microsoft's sharp practices.

If their really is a security issue, what is wrong with them patching it.

So I rather feel that this is more to do with them trying to push win8 metro style apps.
They could patch it but probably don't want to since win 8 won't have them. I can understand them not wanting to waste time on something they will no longer support. Of course the ones you have will still work. They will until you disable them or apply the fixit tool to disable the sidebar completely. I suspect that the security risks are so far reaching and different for different gadgets that they just don't want to bother with keeping up with myriads of patches. I can't blame them.  I wouldn't be surprised to see a Windows update pushed out soon that disables gadgets and the sidebar in Vista and Win 7.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2012, 11:39:31 PM by Dch48 »

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2012, 11:31:16 PM »

Interesting read.  Now I would like to disable them, but I still can't even pull up the menu to do so.
In the article, there is a link to a Microsoft fit it tool that will disable the sidebar and all gadgets. I have already done it.

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2012, 11:42:59 PM »
Sidebar Gadgets are just applications and are no more or less secure than other applications. They just have fallen prey to MS decision to move on and disable them in the process. "Come on, folks, nothing to see here really. We are moving on to Touchscreen apps for everyone",

polonus

Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!