Author Topic: Automatic scan of incoming files and scan when I double click on a file?  (Read 5282 times)

man99

1) May I know when a download / transfer of a file from the internet is finished, does avast automatically do a scan on the file immediately? I went to avast log viewer but do not see any records of the files being scanned.

2) When I double click on any file in my PC, does avast automatically do a scan on it? If avast detect any malware on that file, it will stop the file from opening?

3) When I right click on a file and choose scan with avast, the avast popup quickly (about 1 second) and close immediately. I do not have the chance to catch what the screen says. Does it mean that the file do not have virus? I went to avast log viewer but do not see anything records of the files I scanned.

4) A avast boot time scan is better and detect more malware than doing a avast scan when I am inside windows?

Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 02:17:11 AM by man99 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Automatic scan of incoming files and scan when I double click on a file?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2010, 03:41:50 AM »
1. depends on:
a) How the file is downloaded, if by web browser using HTTP protocol on port 80, then the web shield should scan it. If by other means then perhaps not during the download.
b) what the file type is, if executable of files that are at risk of infection, .exe, .jpg, .dll, etc. then when they are saved to the hard disk, they are newly created file and as such (if you haven't tweaked the default settings) the Standard Shield should scan it.

If using a download manager you can have it call the AV to scan (if it has this function). This is the file and path required, assumes that you installed avast in the default location
C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe.

2. avast is a resident, on-access scanner and that is what n-access scanners do for files that are executable or are at risk of infection, there are exceptions; zip files for instance wouldn't be scanned as they are inert until you extract the file and point 1b above would apply.

On detection avast 4.8 will alert and stop it running awaiting your choice of action.

3. You don't really need any information as this is supposed to be a quick scan to enable you to get on with whatever it is you were doing without having to close any information window. Believe me if there is a virus you will know all about it (all hell breaks loose), as a visual and audible alert will happen. There is a setting where this can be changed if you feel it is required ?

4. No, the detections are technically the same if it can't find it in a normal scan, it is unlikely to find it in a boot-time scan, there are some exceptions.

The purpose of the boot-time scan is if having found a virus in normal mode but it can't be dealt with, file in use, etc. then a boot-time scan should get round that. So its purpose is more to do with scanning and being able to clean it when this is a problem when windows is fully running.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

man99

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2010, 09:24:08 AM »
Thanks for the reply.

What do you mean by "web browser using HTTP protocol on port 80" ? I am using firefox and downloading by clicking on the download link in the website. Sometimes I use orbit downloader. From your reply, I assume that as long as a download is done with firefox or firefox addon download plugin, web shield should automatically scan it right.

So after downloading a zip file, do I need to manually right click on the zip file and scan it with avast to be safe?

If I right click on the zip file and scan with avast, it is only scanning the zip file as a whole? I would need to unzip and scan the unzipped items again to be sure that the unzipped files do not contain virus right? (according to your answer 1b, I assume that after I unzip a file, avast would automatically scan the unzipped items.)

Does avast create a log on the files it scans? (those files that avast automatically scans)

Whenever a new virus update has been done, there will be an audiable alert. Is it possible to disable that sound alert only?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2010, 09:41:52 AM »
you can test it here

The Anti-Virus or Anti-Malware test file
http://www.eicar.org/anti_virus_test_file.htm

Whenever a new virus update has been done, there will be an audiable alert. Is it possible to disable that sound alert only?
jepp....  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=43333.0
recomended download
avast! User Guides and Manuals http://www.avast.com/eng/download-user-guides-and-manual.html
« Last Edit: January 07, 2010, 09:45:40 AM by Pondus »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2010, 05:05:38 PM »
Firefox is a bit of a weird one as it is supposed to automatically call the AV to scan downloaded files but it only works with some AVs (not avast). When you are browsing, that uses the HTTP protocol and uses port 80 so it should be scanned by the web shield.

If using Orbit enter the path I gave in its Preferences, Anti-Virus section, see image.

Right clicking on a zip file to scan will unpack all files to a temp location where they will be scanned. The same happens if you enter the ashQuick.exe path into Orbit it unpacks and scans all in the zip.

Your assumption about unpacking a zip and point 1b is partially correct as it depends on what the files are that are being unpacked. If they are of a type that don't present a risk (.txt file) then they won't be scanned, files that would present a risk are scanned.

Personally I find the audible notification of an update reassuring (I sometimes miss seeing the small pop-up on my large monitor) as you know that the function is actually working and you have the latest signatures.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

man99

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2010, 02:25:40 AM »
Firefox is a bit of a weird one as it is supposed to automatically call the AV to scan downloaded files but it only works with some AVs (not avast).
Is there a way to configure avast or firefox to scan the files automatically after a download is completed?

If they are of a type that don't present a risk (.txt file) then they won't be scanned, files that would present a risk are scanned.
What file types are scanned by default? Can I configure avast to scan all files types? I heard virus could hide in jpg, pdf files.

When doing a avast manual scan does avast only scan files types that would present a risk and skip scanning type that don't present a risk (.txt file)?  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 02:34:01 AM by man99 »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2010, 02:46:28 AM »
Firefox doesn't have any way to input the path I gave earlier to call the AV to scan, that is a failing in firefox and something that avast can't overcome. As I said there is first and foremost the web shield and then the standard shield which may scan downloaded files according to their file type (risk).

You needn't worry avast decides what file types present a risk and automatically scans them, I suggest you spend some time browsing the avast help file and also investigate the various avast settings and you will see what the default settings are. That really is the best way to find out about what avast can do as it is one of the most configurable AVs around.