Author Topic: Another PORT problem  (Read 3315 times)

Dugabe

Another PORT problem
« on: October 23, 2007, 03:41:15 AM »
avast isn't a firewall and doesn't have any means of closing or opening ports.

What is your firewall (I guess by your previous comment, none) ?
What ports does the program suggest opening ?

How are these patches downloaded ?
Whilst the web shield would scan content using port 80 http port (for normal browsing) even if it was scanning the download it shouldn't have a significant impact. I'm on dial-up and see no noticeable slowing of downloads.

Can you tell us a little about your system, CPU, RAM, internet connection method, etc.

Hey first :)
I read the whole FAQ, I read some Topics here and I tried the search but either Avast! has changed or my PC is being weird.
My Problem is the following:
A game is operating through the ports 33334-33336, which seems to be a high risk. First of all my Router blocked this, so I configured the NAT firewall not to do it. Everything worked fine but exactly in the moment that I installed Avast! it stopped and showed me that the connection could not be made DUE to my ports are locked.
My Windows Firewall is always disabled and I have deinstalled my only "protection"-program, Antivir, just before I installed Avast!.
It seems obvious that Avast! is blocking my direct connection on these Ports, so I first disabled the "On Access Protection" by clicking on the blue ball on the bottom. When this didn't show any effect I used my Taskmanager to disable some processes, exactly: ashMaiSv.exe, ashServ.exe, ashWebSv.exe, aswUpdSv.exe .
I thought I'd have taken down Avast! completely but on the game it had NO effect.
I went to the Services control, started all Avast services and terminated them on this way, nothing happened.

System Info:
AMD Athlon 3800+
1 GB DDR2 Ram
GF 7600
Windows XP SP 2
Connection via cable to router is working and permanently connected to the net.

Is there any way to 'give free' the Ports? Or at least shut down Avast! completely, cause I'm definitely not going to reinstall this program every time I wanna play ):

Thanks

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Another PORT problem
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2007, 01:04:06 PM »
It seems obvious that Avast! is blocking my direct connection on these Ports, so I first disabled the "On Access Protection" by clicking on the blue ball on the bottom.
avast is not a firewall. avast does not block, only scans.

When this didn't show any effect I used my Taskmanager to disable some processes, exactly: ashMaiSv.exe, ashServ.exe, ashWebSv.exe, aswUpdSv.exe .
I thought I'd have taken down Avast! completely but on the game it had NO effect.
It's not a surprise for an antivirus, isn't it?

Maybe some leftovers of Antivir...
Maybe other security program...
Maybe you can try (who knows...) if only disabling WebShield of avast works...
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 03:54:13 PM »
My Problem is the following:
A game is operating through the ports 33334-33336, which seems to be a high risk. First of all my Router blocked this, so I configured the NAT firewall not to do it. Everything worked fine but exactly in the moment that I installed Avast! it stopped and showed me that the connection could not be made DUE to my ports are locked.

If these ports are considered high risk, perhaps the Network Shield is monitoring them, but again it wouldn't/couldn't block them as it doesn't have this function, unless avast detects malicious content (and you would get an alert) traffic should flow unimpeded. You could try terminating the network shield in the On-Access protection Control and see if that has any effect.

The ports you mention aren't monitored by the Web Shield so there should be no impact there as it only monitors port 80 http traffic.

<snip>
It seems obvious that Avast! is blocking my direct connection on these Ports, so I first disabled the "On Access Protection" by clicking on the blue ball on the bottom. When this didn't show any effect I used my Taskmanager to disable some processes, exactly: ashMaiSv.exe, ashServ.exe, ashWebSv.exe, aswUpdSv.exe .

It doesn't seem obvious to me and less so given what you say, you disabled the on-access protection and used Task Manager to disable avast processes and No change, still blocked.

I went to the Services control, started all Avast services and terminated them on this way, nothing happened.

So even with absolutely everything disabled, the ports are still blocked.

Is there any way to 'give free' the Ports? Or at least shut down Avast! completely, cause I'm definitely not going to reinstall this program every time I wanna play ):

Because avast isn't a firewall there is no functionality to either open or block ports.

I'm at a loss as to what is going on with your system. But if the only way to play the game is to uninstall avast, then there is some form of conflict with something else on your system when with avast installed, but completely disabled the problem exists.

That conflict would normally be with another security application (or remnant), firewall, antivirus, etc.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dugabe

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2007, 10:12:39 PM »
It doesn't seem obvious to me and less so given what you say, you disabled the on-access protection and used Task Manager to disable avast processes and No change, still blocked.

I'm still really wondering what is going on but you were, I think, right at that point :S
I've got no firewall on, no antivirus programm (deinstalled Avast! for a moment), my router has the ports opened (checked everything while writing this)
I'm sorry for having blamed my favorite Antivirus programm :) Thanks for the answers, I'm

bah -.-*
I found out by accident that my router gave my PC a new IP adress (usually there are static ones there) so every traffic was redirected to no-one

Thanks anyway :D I'm sorry again
« Last Edit: October 24, 2007, 10:14:21 PM by Dugabe »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 10:35:34 PM »
No problem.

Thanks for the feedback, at least we know avast wasn't at fault as we suspected.

Welcome to the forums.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security