Author Topic: New Avast is too annoying, will be migrating our thousands of customers off it  (Read 13752 times)

PerryCS

Customers do NOT want things popping up on their screens all the time.  The once a day popup for "Virus updated" was acceptable.   BUT...

1. Broken links to get the free version again when the 3 paid version links work
2. Obfuscated way of re-registering the free version is really confusing my customers and many are asking me to remove it
3. Way too annoying and intrusive now.  V5 and V6 were fine.  V7 has gotten a lot worse.

We migrated all our thousands of customer to Avast back when it was ugly because it worked well.  Some customers bought it anyways even though it was free which is cool.  Lately, many complaints about being confused on how to re-register the avast.

Bugging people to buy it when it comes time to re-register it... fine... but it's almost "intrusive-ware" now and it's generating unwanted phone calls so... back to AVG we go.

It's been a fun few years.  Decent protection against most things.  AVG is pretty much the same as Avast, without the annoyances.

I even bought it for my home so I could test how well it worked on systems vs the free edition.  Ah well... every company pushes the envelope to find that balance between money generated, and complaints keeping people happy.  Avast is just testing the waters.  We'll see how it all pans out.  But, I'm sad to say - our time with Avast is over.  Maybe again in the future.  Who knows.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Hi PerryCS,

I've no doubt you have heard more than your fill of user complaints. 

There is a way to turn off the unwanted pop-ups offered by user AntiVirusASet here, third post down:  http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99123.0

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

mjt

Hi PerryCS,

I wholeheartedly agree with you. The combination of the convoluted way of re-registering the free version combined with the unwanted pop-ups repeatedly promoting other Avast products is annoying me intensely. It won't make me buy any of this stuff. On the contrary it's just making it more likely I'll jump ship and go elsewhere. Even if there is a way to turn off the pop-ups I'm still getting p****d off by this new policy on the part of Avast. I think (hope) they'll quickly realise that this strategy is counter-productive.

Quikfix

Well, companies do need to advertise, so where are they going to do it on?  No one goes on their anti-virus' website every day, so they incorporate that into the program itself.  That way, the user will always see the advertisement to buy their paid products.  It may be annoying, but then again, if it annoys people so much, why use the free version?  Also, the registering and re-registering is a good way for the avast! team to keep tabs on the user database and see how many people are actually using their software.  Of course, if you don't like, don't use it, though I think a few ads shouldn't deter someone away from such an excellent product, a free one too.

Hellion

Well, companies do need to advertise, so where are they going to do it on?  No one goes on their anti-virus' website every day, so they incorporate that into the program itself.  That way, the user will always see the advertisement to buy their paid products.  It may be annoying, but then again, if it annoys people so much, why use the free version?  Also, the registering and re-registering is a good way for the avast! team to keep tabs on the user database and see how many people are actually using their software.  Of course, if you don't like, don't use it, though I think a few ads shouldn't deter someone away from such an excellent product, a free one too.

I'm going to haveto agree with the OP in this one.

The advertising is becoming annoying and the re-registering method has been made to be difficult to see where the free option is...

Quickfix I disagree with you, this product is the most popular free Antivirus not because of bullshit advertising, but because of word of mouth!
Now instead of here's a great free AV the word is here is a great free AV with intrusive ads...

Regards,
Hellion

Dch48

There are no "intrusive ads". A green upgrade button is not intrusive and a small price to pay for excellent and free protection. I also don't find the re-registration to be any problem at all. It's a simple straightforward process and easier now than it used to be. On the Vista machine here, the red popup showed, register now was clicked, and that was it, done deal.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 11:06:57 PM by Dch48 »

Hellion

There are no "intrusive ads". A green upgrade button is not intrusive and a small price to pay for excellent and free protection. I also don't find the re-registration to be any problem at all. It's a simple straightforward process and easier now than it used to be. On the Vista machine here, the red popup showed, register now was clicked, and that was it, done deal.

Hi DCH48,

Please look at the image posted by True Indian in this topic - http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99123.0

That's the popup that people are getting... Pretty intrusive I would say.

The re-registering might be easy for you, because you know what to look for, some of the people I recommend Avast to can't tell the difference between an operating system and a word processing package.

Regards,
Hellion

Dch48

I have never seen that popup on any of the 3 computers. Even before I switched this one to the full AIS package on my own, I never saw a popup like that.

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
If you have noticed there is a small "x" in the upper right corner of the pop-up. Click on it and the pop-up magically disappears.
I feel it's a extremely small issue for the best (IMHO) anti-virus you can get. avast does not place their product pre-installed on any computer. It's all by reputation. Driving down the highway I see tons of billboards advertising this or that. I am sure you agree that avast deserves to make a profit. A pop-up ad is a tiny price to pay for a free product. From time to time avast does offer special rates for both Pro and AIS. They need to get the word out some how. As far as re-registering I have never encountered any problems.  :)

If you desire an inferior product then AVG awaits.  ???
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot

Well... There is always a balance. I hope we get it... There will be always Pros and Cons of it.
The best things in life are free.

iroc9555

I run Avast! free. I marked ( Activated ) the 2 choices for Avast! Community; " Show Avast! recommendations features " and  " Show social networking features " since I have never got any pop-up before and I wanted to see the pop up and how often does it pops up really.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=99123.msg790457#msg790457

The second day I activated the choices I got the pop-up. Slightly bigger than an update notification. Really not big deal. That was 5 days ago and I have not gotten another pop-up since. So if it is really a bother go to Community and unmark those choices mentioned above.

Diddy

HI I have avast free on my Windows Vista computer.  I like it a lot.  I did take a look at the pop-up I have received it before and I just click on the x in the corner and the ad is gone.  I love avast because it has saved my butt a few times from getting malware or a virus on my computer.  As far as the ads go they are not much of a bother for me.  Besides avast has to let us now about new software some how don't you agree.

As far as the registering/re registering of avast free version goes the day that the  pop-up comes up I don't let it annoy me I just don't wait for days to re register the free version I just click on register now button and put my information in and bingo I ve registered  it again I do this the same day I do not wait for the pop up to drive me nuts of course it probably does make you pull out your hair if you wait several days to re register avast free. but come on don't worry about registering the free version it is a snap even if you are a novice computer user ask for help the avast community is always very helpful and respectful of its users.

Thanks

Have a great day