Author Topic: Avast 7.0.1474 Webshield disables after virus def updates  (Read 2940 times)

RangerXus

Avast 7.0.1474 Webshield disables after virus def updates
« on: February 14, 2013, 05:23:17 AM »
Greetings:

Running Windows 8 32-bit and Avast 7.0.1474. Whenever automatic update of virus definitions occurs (I get the popup notification that virus definitions have been updated) I notice that webshied is disabled. I installed this new system 30 days ago and did not have any problems with Avast until about a week ago.

Possibly related -- when the Avast emergency program runs sometimes my firewall kicks off and says a program in c:\windows\temp\*.exe wants to access the internet. The name is always different but in the format of 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe. At first this worried me, but searching the forum I concluded it was Avast emergency update (though I don't know why I get an exe running so often when Avast emergency update should be a very rare occurrence). And why is the exe program trying to access the Internet anyway? Because the firewall warning is annoying (since the name is different every time and I have no intention of letting everything run from c:\windows\temp, I blocked Avast emergency program from accessing the internet in my firewall (which stopped me from getting any more 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe type files. I also disabled Avast emergency program in the scheduler.

My guess (but could be wrong) is that Avast emergency program tries to run during an automatic update, but since the firewall blocks it, Avast turns off webshield to see if that is causing a problem and preventing the Avast emergency program from running. The webshield is then left disabled.

Is anyone else experiencing this? Any suggestions for a solution. Why am I getting these 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe type files so often. Is my only choice between having webshield disabled after after every automatic virus definition update or getting a firewall warning for a different c:\windows\temp file?

Thanks

Want to add that I think the IP being accessed by the exe programs in c:\windows\temp appears to be  173.193.48.152:80(60631) if this is any help.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 05:41:00 AM by RangerXus »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: Avast 7.0.1474 Webshield disables after virus def updates
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2013, 07:47:16 AM »
What firewall are you using ? if it is a third party firewall you need to set allowed to all processes of avast in the firewall applications list.

The Emergency update accesses the net periodically looking for updates/fixes, this should be left enabled.

user_1000

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2013, 09:28:49 AM »
I'm also wondering why Avast Emergency Updater is used so often. :o Emergency Updater was supposed to be used only in case of emergency, but they use it also for everything else. :o

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 10:10:43 AM »
It's not used often - but since in this case its task is blocked by a personal firewall, it simply tries to reapply the same patch again and again.
There was a bug related to a Win8 driver... the fix is quite important.

RangerXus

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2013, 04:53:32 PM »
Originally I let all 4 Avast programs go output port 80 through the firewall. All was good for about 3 weeks.

Then I started getting the firewall warnings about files in c:\windows\temp with names like 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe wanting to go outbound on port 80. Just before the warning the Avast icon shows an asterisk.

I may have been wrong about it being webshield being deactivated. The last two days it is network shield that is being deactivated.

Since I posted the original questions, I have re-allowed Avast emergency to go output through the firewall on port 80. I also re-enabled the scheduler entry for Avast emergency.

When an update occurs, either manually or automatically, the network shield is disabled and I get a firewall warning about a file in c:\windows\temp with names like 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe wanting to go outbound on port 80.

I can't examine these temp files because the disappear instantly.

Who is generating these files in with names like 58fe8c20-1cfc-4b92-b288-a83dc5e7d409.exe? Are they from Avast emergency or part of the virus def updates?
Why do they want to talk to the internet?
Igor mentioned a fix to Windows 8 driver... is this fix available or is it just on the action item list?

Does anyone have any suggestions? This is getting annoying and I'm beginning to lose faith in Avast on Windows 8.

Update:

I just ran a test. I ran an Avast repair which finished successfully and then the network shield deactivated and I got a firewall warning about a file in c:\windows\temp wanting to go output using port 80. I re-enabled network shield and turned off my firewall. I ran another Avast repair. After it finished successfully the network shield deactivated and of course I got no firewall warning because it was turned off. So this is telling me the blocking by the firewall is not causing the network shield to be disabled.

Any ideas anyone?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 05:07:27 PM by RangerXus »