Author Topic: avast! Log viewer  (Read 6894 times)

CherAnn24

avast! Log viewer
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:16:27 AM »
I have version 4.8 home edition of avast.
I have windows XP media version, use Zone Alarm Firewall & access the internet mostly with Mozilla Firefox, sometimes with Internet Explorer.

What do I need to be concerned about.
Under Emergency, Alert & Critical nothing shows up.
Under Error - scanning errors show up
Under Warning - there are warnings - do I need to do anything about these?
  Examples:  7/13/08  Sign of VBS Malware-gen" found
                 8/6/08    Sign of NSIS: Agent (Trj) has been found
                 9/09/08    AAVM-scanning warning
There are no more recent dates then 9/09.  Does that mean that avast took care of these problems?
Thank you.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! Log viewer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 01:53:49 AM »
I tend to stay out of the log viewer (unless I'm experiencing a problem with avast that displays an error to the screen) as many of the messages are verbose and of little use to anyone other than one of the developers.

There are many legit reasons why something can't be scanned and the message is more worring that the problem.

If you get virus alerts they are recorded there, so presumably you have already done something about the virus alert when they occurred as they require user input of the action to take ?

All in all I would say you have nothing to worry about.

However, you didn't say what the file names and locations of the virus alerts were, you could physically check if a) they are in the avast virus chest, infected files section (don't go poking around the other sections, you will only frighten your self again, see below) or b) check the original location and see if the file is there, or c) if it's in neither location do a search for the file name.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CherAnn24

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 02:01:58 AM »
My computer has been running slow - so I was trying to diagnosis what was going on.  I haven't gotten any alerts - so I was thinking that maybe I needed to check for them.

I haven't run malwarebytes-anti-malware lately - so that was going to be my next step.

I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to trouble myself with this log & it sounds like I don't.
The alerts were not in the avast virus chest.  They were in yahoo.com & webmd.com.

Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 02:10:12 AM »
That means the web shield intercepted them before they go on to your system.

It is best to run MBAM from safe mode, more effective if anything is detected and needs to be cleared. Ensure that you you update the signatures.

Also try SUPERantispyware On-Demand only in free version.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

CherAnn24

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 02:13:58 AM »
What to you mean by "ensure that you update the signature"?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 02:16:45 AM »
It too has a virus signatures/fingerprints database and that has to be kept up to date. From the Updates tab, click the Check for Updates button.